House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Nine Ex-A4E Staff Charged With Fraud

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2434373/Nine-ex-A4e-staff-charged-fraud-offences-relating-taxpayer-funded-employment-schemes.html

Six women and three men charged with a total of 60 offences, CPS says

Charges include conspiracy to defraud and multiple counts of forgery

A4e is paid by Government for welfare-to-work and training programmes

Last year it emerged founder Emma Harrison paid herself £8.6m dividend

All nine worked for A4e, which is paid more than £200million a year by the Government, mostly to deliver welfare-to-work and training programmes.

The firm is a prime contractor on the Government's flagship £5billion Work Programme employment scheme.

The nine people charged include one contract manager, seven recruiters and an administrator.

They are alleged to have wrongly claimed payments for people who were not their clients and for finding jobs for people who were in fact still unemployed. They will appear before Slough magistrates’ court next month.

In a separate development yesterday the DWP said A4e would receive 5 per cent fewer clients on the Work Programme in the East Midlands, South Yorkshire and Merseyside as a penalty for poor performance.

In a statement last night A4e said it would not tolerate fraud and was co-operating fully with the police investigation.

Is it just me but why is this company still getting business from the taxpayer? At least the former CEO has done all right out of it.

Guest eight

Is it just me but why is this company still getting business from the taxpayer? At least the former CEO has done all right out of it.

I wonder if any of that dividend ended up in tory party funds?

Pure greed.

I run a recruitment agency. These parasites (oh the irony of a recruiter calling someone else a parasite!) often pester me to sign off their forms to show one of their 'clients' is now working.

It seems that if anyone who is instructed to see them subsequently gets a job without their help, then A4E and the myriad of other similar companies get paid.

It annoys me that we put a lot of work into getting someone into the right job, and yet they want payment, often for more than we would make out of the candidate. Ive always refused. The first time, my missing 'sign off' was elevated through the organisation chasing me about 4 or 5 times. They've all stopped ringing me now.

And to top it all, the advice these places give and the CVs they help to create are almost the polar opposite of what actually gets the candidate a job.

Edited by Caveat Mortgagor

The whole welfare to work area is a complete sham.

It is a political screen nothing more and it creates nothing but misery and bills for the tax payer.

I was involved with some Remploy workers after their factory was closed .Unlucky for them and the taxpayer those closures were handed by the less than right honourable MP Maria Miller.The millions she promised for"help" for those workers all went to welfare to work providers and none of those ex workers got any help at all.They got a few meetings then that was it.I think 4 got jobs out of 96 I was involved with ,3 with family members,1 themselves,0 through the "complete package of help".

There is no doubt many on welfare wish to remain on welfare,or in welfare paid part time work,but very few of those are within JSA.

The fact all these schemes are aimed at people on JSA is bonkers as this is probably the only area of welfare that doesn't need reform.It works pretty well.

The providers are nothing more than shams,set up to defraud the taxpayer out of billions while abusing unemployed people and stopping them getting work.

(less people get a job when under workfare than would if not under one).

That's right,workfare and all those providers and billions no more find work than did/do outside of the scheme.

You mean LabourTory funds? A4E were in business long before the Blue Rentiers gained 'power.'

thank god we dont yet have Obamacare here in the UK..they are employing thousands to ensure people take up the scheme, and paying by results.

The US is fracked.

Welfare-to-work has been an utter disaster and waste of public money.

Strange thing is, ministers like to wax lyrical about the wonders of private sector competition and efficiency. But a big aspect of competition is that if you stuff up a contract, you don't get future contracts (or you fix it for free if you ever want to). This seems to be absent in government procurement..

I suspect quite a lot of government contracts would go better if the companies involved knew that failure to deliver would mean being banned from bidding for more contracts for 5 years or so.

It is a political screen nothing more and it creates nothing but misery and bills for the tax payer.

I was involved with some Remploy workers after their factory was closed .Unlucky for them and the taxpayer those closures were handed by the less than right honourable MP Maria Miller.The millions she promised for"help" for those workers all went to welfare to work providers and none of those ex workers got any help at all.They got a few meetings then that was it.I think 4 got jobs out of 96 I was involved with ,3 with family members,1 themselves,0 through the "complete package of help".

There is no doubt many on welfare wish to remain on welfare,or in welfare paid part time work,but very few of those are within JSA.

The fact all these schemes are aimed at people on JSA is bonkers as this is probably the only area of welfare that doesn't need reform.It works pretty well.

The providers are nothing more than shams,set up to defraud the taxpayer out of billions while abusing unemployed people and stopping them getting work.

That's right,workfare and all those providers and billions no more find work than did/do outside of the scheme.

nonsense, the very creation of these organisations created jobs....in the organisations...not sure they created many more outside except amongst estate agents and paperclip suppliers.

While the government has expanded these schemes people need to remember it was Labour that introduced them all.The best answer would be to se who was lobbying government when they were introduced and where.

A4e started in the early 90s in Yorkshire when the big steelmakers were all closing and was a small scale training company.

Their big payday came in 97 when Labour introduced the "new deal" program.Its likely Emma Harrison or her father (who already ran a training scheme) had contacts with Sheffield/Yorkshire Labour MPs.

This is the company that found 4020 jobs that lasted for more than 3 months out of 115,000 compulsory attendees at is "scheme".Many more than that % would find work over the 10 months without any workfare provider.

This is the company that found 4020 jobs that lasted for more than 3 months out of 115,000 compulsory attendees at is "scheme".Many more than that % would find work over the 10 months without any workfare provider.

Its a 'scheme' alright and if anyone else ran such a thing outside of LabourTory patronage they would doubtless be behind bars by now.

LabourTory are like the Elizabethan Court dispensing 'monopolies' to Court favourites.

Edited by aSecureTenant

nonsense, the very creation of these organisations created jobs....in the organisations...not sure they created many more outside except amongst estate agents and paperclip suppliers.

They could at least have used the money to pay people to dig holes and fill them up again. Less morally suspect, gets people out in the fresh air doing exercise.

Guest eight

Welfare-to-work has been an utter disaster and waste of public money.

Strange thing is, ministers like to wax lyrical about the wonders of private sector competition and efficiency. But a big aspect of competition is that if you stuff up a contract, you don't get future contracts (or you fix it for free if you ever want to). This seems to be absent in government procurement..

Somebody was having a dig at my wife the other day for working for the public sector (borough council).

The woman in question worked for Capita!

Well, that raises a philosophical question.. if the company you are paid by never actually delivers anything of value, are you really working?

While the government has expanded these schemes people need to remember it was Labour that introduced them all.The best answer would be to se who was lobbying government when they were introduced and where.

A4e started in the early 90s in Yorkshire when the big steelmakers were all closing and was a small scale training company.

Their big payday came in 97 when Labour introduced the "new deal" program.Its likely Emma Harrison or her father (who already ran a training scheme) had contacts with Sheffield/Yorkshire Labour MPs.

Aaah - I was about to ask if Ms Harrison used to be in the public sector.

Somebody was having a dig at my wife the other day for working for the public sector (borough council).

The woman has had her brain removed :ph34r:

Guest eight

Well, that raises a philosophical question.. if the company you are paid by never actually delivers anything of value, are you really working?

And if your private sector employer is utterly reliant on public sector contracts.... that's like not really working, squared?

Yes, I've enoucountered similar entitled commentary(not directed at me) coming from a person whose livelihood was entirely dependent on taxpayers money but who is nominally a private sector employee.

There are tragedies unfolding, the rhetoric is winning and in spite of their obvious lack of value or positive results the Welfare to Work scheme continues to survive and thrive.

Daily Mail today suggesting forced labour to be part of Conservative policy announced at conference - I don't see Labour changing this. Of course, a job 'created' in this way is a paid job lost. A race to the bottom. Re-arranging deckchairs as the Titanic sinks. The Mail in its bashing the scrounger fervour not mentioning that JSA is such a tiny part of the welfare bill.

Bashing the poor and the unemployed very much distraction politics. Imagine how liberating Citizens Income would be.

I had connections to a local Remploy, which was closed. Really good set up doing electronics, with some good people in fulfilled roles. I was told that although the unit was profitable it was the top-heavy overheads that were the problem. Same as ever it's the engorgement and parasitic nature of the hangers on that does the damage and destroys lives - and hope.

How much does the Work Programme cost? How much is actually paid out in JSA? And how much does it cost to administer it?

Yes, I've enoucountered similar entitled commentary(not directed at me) coming from a person whose livelihood was entirely dependent on taxpayers money but who is nominally a private sector employee.

Ditto.

Who's the biggest trougher, the single mum who gets her housing provided by the state, or the plumber who gets paid £75k by the Housing Association that houses her. They are both friends of mine.

A4E aren't entirely bad, they have fruit bowls with some free fruit for customers. When I have been to A4E I have managed to eat a bit of fruit and pinch a bit to take home. So whilst they might be failing abysmally wrt getting people back to work, they are helping a few eat their '5 a day'.

There are tragedies unfolding, the rhetoric is winning and in spite of their obvious lack of value or positive results the Welfare to Work scheme continues to survive and thrive.

Daily Mail today suggesting forced labour to be part of Conservative policy announced at conference - I don't see Labour changing this. Of course, a job 'created' in this way is a paid job lost. A race to the bottom. Re-arranging deckchairs as the Titanic sinks. The Mail in its bashing the scrounger fervour not mentioning that JSA is such a tiny part of the welfare bill.

Bashing the poor and the unemployed very much distraction politics. Imagine how liberating Citizens Income would be.

I had connections to a local Remploy, which was closed. Really good set up doing electronics, with some good people in fulfilled roles. I was told that although the unit was profitable it was the top-heavy overheads that were the problem. Same as ever it's the engorgement and parasitic nature of the hangers on that does the damage and destroys lives - and hope.

How much does the Work Programme cost? How much is actually paid out in JSA? And how much does it cost to administer it?

Checking the comments on the article most seem to be against the policy and understand the implications.

I do not want to pay national insurance if I am then not covered by it, I am paying out each month so that in the event of unemployment I am so busy dealing with the job centre and their programmed that I am seriously impaired in looking for work.

The only work that has support seems to be of the community service type that offenders do.

I would like to know the costs of administering all this crap, I think they will be shocking.

Tax credits are the real problem, and it is no being addressed.

Ditto.

Who's the biggest trougher, the single mum who gets her housing provided by the state, or the plumber who gets paid £75k by the Housing Association that houses her. They are both friends of mine.

The HA is overpaying the plumber.

The HA is overpaying the plumber.

I live in a council property and when my boiler was replaced the plumber doing the work was constantly complaining he wasn't getting paid enough and that he wouldn't be working for the council again.

He told me he was getting paid £250 per day, his normal rate however was £350. Assuming he works 5 days a week for 46 weeks per year, @£250 per day annual income £58k, @£350 per day, annual income £81k.

He left a bloody mess though, did a poor job I thought.

This is in the greater London area btw.

A4E aren't entirely bad, they have fruit bowls with some free fruit for customers. When I have been to A4E I have managed to eat a bit of fruit and pinch a bit to take home. So whilst they might be failing abysmally wrt getting people back to work, they are helping a few eat their '5 a day'.

I'm long term-unemployed and attending A4e, sadly no bowls of fruit, so in my area they aren't even helping the '5 a day'!

The staff there are nice enough, friendly and they try to be helpful within the limits of the resources they have.

However the main help so far has consisted of:

1. Job search sessions, unsupervised at a computer. I can do this at home or at my local library.

2. An interview course. The trainer pretty much admitted it was a waste of time and that he would 'try to keep it as short as possible'. The main points where, if you go to an interview wear a suit and don't smell. Very helpful advice... not!

I have a physical disability and some mental health issues too. No help or advice for addressing those issues.

In fact I've never been asked by the job centre or A4e what I think my barriers to employment are and what support I need to overcome them.