House Price Crash Forum
Burns66

Estate Agent Valuation Today

Have been thinking of selling my property for a few months but was going to try myself just after xmas. Ive found out a friend of a friend is looking for a house like mine on my estate so I thought I would get it valued.

The EA turns up today, nice guy and all and after a quick 2/3 minute look around he says because of what else is going in the area etc I should look at putting it up for 120k as I would be lucky to get my money back (122k).

Now my house is just over 2 years old, I bought it brand new and was fully equipped plus a lot of extras that someone paid for, but then failed to produce the mortgage. Because of this I came in at last minute and got the property for £121,995 instead of the £133,995 that all the other 3 beds went for.

Now am I nieve in thinking I should (or more than likely) get my money back plus a bit more? Obviously it is hard to say but I do feel a bit conned by the quote of 120k. Houses on the estate are selling & comparing them to 3 bed town houses I think it is reasonable (they are going for 140k+). Is he trying to take me for a ride....?

A new house sells for a premium, now it's used I would expect it to be worth less.........

Have been thinking of selling my property for a few months but was going to try myself just after xmas. Ive found out a friend of a friend is looking for a house like mine on my estate so I thought I would get it valued.

The EA turns up today, nice guy and all and after a quick 2/3 minute look around he says because of what else is going in the area etc I should look at putting it up for 120k as I would be lucky to get my money back (122k).

Now my house is just over 2 years old, I bought it brand new and was fully equipped plus a lot of extras that someone paid for, but then failed to produce the mortgage. Because of this I came in at last minute and got the property for £121,995 instead of the £133,995 that all the other 3 beds went for.

Now am I nieve in thinking I should (or more than likely) get my money back plus a bit more? Obviously it is hard to say but I do feel a bit conned by the quote of 120k. Houses on the estate are selling & comparing them to 3 bed town houses I think it is reasonable (they are going for 140k+). Is he trying to take me for a ride....?

Maybe he is on the right track then? My next door neighbours 2 bed which is a quarter of the size just went for 109k, which made me think maybe he was pulling a fast one.

To be honest I am a newbie to all this being in my early twenties, but after reading everything on here it just made me wonder....

Maybe he is on the right track then? My next door neighbours 2 bed which is a quarter of the size just went for 109k, which made me think maybe he was pulling a fast one.

To be honest I am a newbie to all this being in my early twenties, but after reading everything on here it just made me wonder....

Wouldn't have thought you had to accept what asking price the EA suggested. Who knows, he might be wanting to sell it cheap to his mate, or buy it himself. Try another EA? Especially if your next-door neighbour got that for such a smaller home recently. Put it on at price you think it's worth, and you can always decide to lower the price after a month if no viewers.

Are these £140K+ houses larger semis? Have you seen the sold prices confirmed price transactions on a house-price website, or are you going from the asking prices when they were on Rightmove.

Have got another EA booked in, will be interesting to see what they come up with. I agree I will put it on for what I want, but want to also be realistic and not be one of these who is over priced and wont sell the house for ages.

I have taken the prices for the 3 beds on the actual sold house prices on zoopla etc. They are slightly bigger and have a garage which is why I realise mine will be cheaper....but 20k odd cheaper? I doubt it, they arent stupidly bigger so im a bit unsure

wait for next year and you will sell at least for £299k ... you deserve it for your hard work!

Estate agents are idiots. Some agents will over value a property for various reasons and some will under value for various reasons. In addition there is no exact scientific principals being used.

Its up to you ultimately as to what price to market it for . My only problem here would be that this agent may not put much effort into selling a property if you go against his advice, I would shop around if you are sure he is wrong.