House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
right_freds_dead

Brrrr Its Freezing Tonight

cold isnt it ?

ive posted enough today. im going to bed. its colder upstairs than it is down. and the ground floor flat is empty - amplifying the chill. fog was 30yrds out in most of lancashire as i drove about. cold. ive put a hot water bottle in about an hour ago and have been nipping at the pimms and been contemplating a pipe.

we dont have north winds yet. perhaps this winter really will be a chilly one.

im looking forward toit as a life experience. 8ft snow drifts. record lows.

we've had the record highs recently. why not the record lows ?

where are the record lows ?

send in the record lows.

there already here.......

webmaster. nip to kebabradabra will you and get me a charcoal burger.

Guest Alright Jack

cold isnt it ?

ive posted enough today. im going to bed. its colder upstairs than it is down. and the ground floor flat is empty - amplifying the chill. fog was 30yrds out in most of lancashire as i drove about. cold. ive put a hot water bottle in about an hour ago and have been nipping at the pimms and been contemplating a pipe.

we dont have north winds yet. perhaps this winter really will be a chilly one.

im looking forward toit as a life experience. 8ft snow drifts. record lows.

where are the record lows ?

send in the record lows.

there already here.......

webmaster. nip to kebabradabra will you and get me a charcoal burger.

So, let's recap here.

You own a company turning over £0.6m from which you draw £40k + from. You are freezing your ass off in a flat that would cost about £15 pcm to heat...

You are a bigger bullsh!tter than Kevino.

The record lowest temperature for the UK occured in Scotland in 1995 (equal with 1982, and 1895).

Oddly, while the 'global warmers' run around screaming that the sky is falling whenever there's a record high, they seem remarkably silent about record lows.

I was in the US on business last January.

I have never felt cold like that before.

It was -18C and the skies were clear and it was very windy.

I dread to think what the true wind chill factor was, but you could not stand outside for more than a few minutes. (even when wrapped up)

A lot of new properties were being built on the NJ side of the harbour. These were huge and seemed to be entirely made of wood!

So, let's recap here.

You own a company turning over £0.6m from which you draw £40k + from. You are freezing your ass off in a flat that would cost about £15 pcm to heat...

You are a bigger bullsh!tter than Kevino.

odd isnt it ?

you can see why we need a crash.

thats the 2nd time youve had a dig at my wages. not everyone who makes that runs about the trafford centre buying useless crap or hurries off to the nearest newbuilt btls to line the pockets of snappy investors.

so what if i dont spend it. what can i spend it on ? seriously ?

new plasma screen for a dodgy flat. laminate floor. flashy cars ?

Edited by right_freds_dead

odd isnt it ?

you can see why we need a crash.

thats the 2nd time youve had a dig at my wages. not everyone who makes that runs about the trafford centre buying useless crap or hurries off to the nearest newbuilt btls to line the pockets of snappy investors.

so what if i dont spend it. what can i spend it on ? seriously ?

new plasma screen for a dodgy flat. laminate floor. flashy cars ?

that's kinda an acknowledgement that that level of earning is actually *very* good indeed and surely in excess of what any single man living in the north would require to live decently.

Yet, it is viciously ironic that it will barely buy you a scabby hovel in Beswick. Something's gone awry here!

It's damn cold down here in Hants. Infact, I'm gonna go defrost my car (yes, still frozen at 2pm) and put a blanket over the window screen - ready for school tomorrow!

:(

that's kinda an acknowledgement that that level of earning is actually *very* good indeed and surely in excess of what any single man living in the north would require to live decently.

Yet, it is viciously ironic that it will barely buy you a scabby hovel in Beswick. Something's gone awry here!

i got very very lucky with my work and what i learned. though always in the back of my mind is the fact that the whole business could flop in the end and i would have to service the new 40k wage mortgage with an ordinary job of say £20k. a fool would go rushing into a mortgage unless i can be established enough, or have enough back to service the debt in the future.

at the moment im on hold. i have nailed up old curtains and the flat looks empty from the outside. i am managing not to pay any pox tax or licence fee. i simply dont answer the door. they dont know who lives here. since downstairs left, they look through windows to see empty flat. upstairs looks empty from down there. it seems to be working ok. i keep looking for a new rental, but cant get a square deal. i also have a dog, so that rules out fancy new build flats. i need security, so i need another HA. i cant abide private landlords. so i wait here. not spending. saving and living a really odd existance. as long as i am packing it away - what does it matter. 3 more years ill either be in a decent rental or purchase or in hawai.

its a bit like university. im knuckling down and making hay while the sun shines. though that doesnt mean i am going to blow it on consumer crap or hand it over in temporary house inflation either.

jimmy saville lived down the road in a bedsit and he was quite rich at the time. he didnt like to hoard, so lived frugally. not that i model myself on jimmy saville. but im not the only one to live in a box when i could afford to live better.

sometimes i doubt it and think - what if bird flu gets yah.? but overall i stash around 75% of what i net.

Good on you RFD, you're a man after my own heart. I am in a similar position except I own my own house and have no mortgage. It is completely unmodernised, with no proper central heating but I get by. I too am packing away all my money. My friends can't understand why I don't gut the place and install gas central heating, new kitchen and laminate flooring. After having had a friend cost it out he reckons I'd need to spent around £20k. On sale after done up, I estimate I'd make around £10k if I can sell at the current market rate. I ask myself if a £10k profit is enough to gamble the chance of finding some structural problem during the renovation taking me £1000s over my budget, not getting the estimated asking price due to market falls, thus making less and having to put up with living on a building site for 3 months. My answer is no. I think I'll sell it unmodernised when prices fall, trade up and let someone else take the risk with the renovation.

i got very very lucky with my work and what i learned. though always in the back of my mind is the fact that the whole business could flop in the end and i would have to service the new 40k wage mortgage with an ordinary job of say £20k. a fool would go rushing into a mortgage unless i can be established enough, or have enough back to service the debt in the future.

at the moment im on hold. i have nailed up old curtains and the flat looks empty from the outside. i am managing not to pay any pox tax or licence fee. i simply dont answer the door. they dont know who lives here. since downstairs left, they look through windows to see empty flat. upstairs looks empty from down there. it seems to be working ok. i keep looking for a new rental, but cant get a square deal. i also have a dog, so that rules out fancy new build flats. i need security, so i need another HA. i cant abide private landlords. so i wait here. not spending. saving and living a really odd existance. as long as i am packing it away - what does it matter. 3 more years ill either be in a decent rental or purchase or in hawai.

its a bit like university. im knuckling down and making hay while the sun shines. though that doesnt mean i am going to blow it on consumer crap or hand it over in temporary house inflation either.

jimmy saville lived down the road in a bedsit and he was quite rich at the time. he didnt like to hoard, so lived frugally. not that i model myself on jimmy saville. but im not the only one to live in a box when i could afford to live better.

sometimes i doubt it and think - what if bird flu gets yah.? but overall i stash around 75% of what i net.

RFD, if you run your own company what do your employees (if any) think? So what line of work are you into? You're in Lancs, right? I went uni there... you could employ me if you want!

Edited by Jason

RFD, if you run your own company what do your employees (if any) think? So what line of work are you into? Your in Lancs, right? I went uni there... you could employ me if you want!

i dont want to say really as its a tiny niche market and i reckon i could be identified as a whistleblower. but i use contractors - not employees. though they are established and mostly older and settled. they all live much better than me, and i guess over a year they make as much probably. they work for a few other people too.

Good on you RFD, you're a man after my own heart. I am in a similar position except I own my own house and have no mortgage.

i dont get why you are not happy and settled if you have a house already.? why not live there and rennovate it ? are you shafted for space ?

i dont get why you are not happy and settled if you have a house already.? why not live there and rennovate it ? are you shafted for space ?

I want a detached place outside of the city with a garden, preferably somehwre rural, where I can grow veggies and have a greenhouse.

I want a detached place outside of the city with a garden, preferably somehwre rural, where I can grow veggies and have a greenhouse.

how come you cant move. surely the inflation on your house would carry through ?

i.e. your current house you pay £50k sell for 160k.

buy new bigger place for 280k leaving a mortgage of

original 50k + 120k additional £170k for a house in the country. thats sort of normal.

I was in the US on business last January.

I have never felt cold like that before.

It was -18C and the skies were clear and it was very windy.

I dread to think what the true wind chill factor was, but you could not stand outside for more than a few minutes. (even when wrapped up)

A lot of new properties were being built on the NJ side of the harbour. These were huge and seemed to be entirely made of wood!

When working in Calgary, I endured a fortnight at -35C. Exposed flesh freezes in less than 2 minutes. Went on business (oil) to the tar sands in Cold Lake (aptly named). Wind chill factored in it was -60C. Got frostbite on the fingertips even though I had thick gloves on! Could not afford to turn the car's engine off for fear of it not restarting.

how come you cant move. surely the inflation on your house would carry through ?

i.e. your current house you pay £50k sell for 160k.

buy new bigger place for 280k leaving a mortgage of

original 50k + 120k additional £170k for a house in the country. thats sort of normal.

I'm in the same situation. (I FTBd a 3 bed semi in 1995 and I paid it off 4 years ago)

I too want a 4 bed detached in the sticks. Instead of a greenhouse I want more garage/outbuilding space to store cars!

If I move today I can only do it with debt.

If I wait 3 years for prices to fall (20%?), I can keep and rent out my current house and buy the detached house from my growing savings.

Any shortfall (mortgage) will be paid for by the rent from this house.

It pays to be patient...

The record lowest temperature for the UK occured in Scotland in 1995 (equal with 1982, and 1895).

Oddly, while the 'global warmers' run around screaming that the sky is falling whenever there's a record high, they seem remarkably silent about record lows.

Er, not in my experience.

They claim that is to do with global warming interrupting the Gulf Stream. An oft argued consequence of global warming is -20/-30 winters in the UK.

I take it all with a pinch of salt, though I do agree we are polluting out planet with all sorts of unnecessary waste.

NDL

When working in Calgary, I endured a fortnight at -35C. Exposed flesh freezes in less than 2 minutes. Went on business (oil) to the tar sands in Cold Lake (aptly named). Wind chill factored in it was -60C. Got frostbite on the fingertips even though I had thick gloves on!

Bl***y hell. Rather you than me.

(By contrast, on a previous visit of mine to the US it was 105degF. Some friends went there last year and it was 115 degF!)

Could not afford to turn the car's engine off for fear of it not restarting.

I had a car like that once...

Edited by Without_a_Paddle

(By contrast, on a previous visit of mine to the US it was 105degC. Some friends went there last year and it was 115 degC!)

LMAO, I'm sure you mean 115F. Las Vegas gets that hot, but it's dry so it's not as bad. (rolls eyes)

In Northern Nevada, it has gone up to 44C And in the winter we have gone as low as -23C, we even get pogonip (frozen fog) it's and Indian word menang 'white death"

Edited by Karen

LMAO, I'm sure you mean 115F. Las Vegas gets that hot, but it's dry so it's not as bad. (rolls eyes)

In Northern Nevada, it has gone up to 44C And in the winter we have gone as low as -23C, we even get pogonip (frozen fog) it's and Indian word menang 'white death"

:lol::lol:

Yes, I meant Farenheit! (otherwise it would have been MORE than boiling hot!!!)

It's blooming freezing here too. Even the inside of the car has ice on it :blink: .

The matrix has gone which effects the heating and Renault want £650 to fix it :o

I'm trying to just leave the fire on rather than use the central heating, can't see the point in heating the upstairs when the kids have nice 13 tog duvets to keep 'em warm.

i was in texas once and an ice storm came in.

id nver seem one before, and being in texas, but from england thought this will be a breeze.

id not seen anything like it. everything got wet - then froze solid. every single thing had a 1/4 inch coating of ice. cars were encased and frozen onto the ground. it was weird. never seen anything like it in the uk. we had a good laugh winding down all the vehicle windows to leave an ice window - which we put our heads through ect in a vivyan from the young ones type way. it lasted for a few days, blew all the power and went away as quickly as it arrived. normal temps in texas during winter are around 40f and dry.