House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Hpc Stoptober - Beer

Anyone in for this? I know Stoptober is about fags btw.

I thought about trying it after reading this one (warning, Mail link):

Look what giving up drink for a month can do to your face

article-2424117-1BE26AC1000005DC-142_634x380.jpg

It talks about the effect of alcohol in widening the surface blood vessels so making your skin redder and drier and your eyes less white.

I don't look like the first picture btw, she's clearly very susceptible, but I can see some of the effects. As it's a few years since I've gone a month off I fancy trying it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2424117/Look-giving-drink-month-face-Mother-enjoyed-glasses-wine-week-transformed-going-cold-turkey.html

Anyway, sign up here if you want to and post on 1 November (if you make it) of all the hugely beneficial effects and how you feel smug and superior B)

1 October is Tuesday, up to you if you take the New Years Day approach of getting hammered the night before or start winding down now.

If you want an incentive I put £2 in a pot every day I don't drink and spend it on stuff I don't actually need (the horror). It still saves money as £2 doesn't buy much beer.

Anybody else in? Anybody.......

What's wrong with ugly and drunk, Frank? I am! :blink:

What's wrong with ugly and drunk, Frank? I am! :blink:

I wouldn't suggest either thing Mr Pin :unsure:

Signing up then? :)

Since reading this I have noticed two people at work could really benefit from this. Whether they're hitting it hard or just susceptible like the lady in the article I don't know and haven't asked.

I'm already doing it due to a general cleanup of my diet. Only 3 days in but I can report fantastic improvements in sleep quality, even though I was only drinking 1/3 of a bottle of red wine per night, and maybe 1/2 a bottle at weekends.

So I can't exactly claim to be doing Stoptober, but I'm with you in spirit.

I gave up w@nking for a week and my eyesight has improved to the extent I can see my misses face clearly again.

Where's my sock..?

It's probably on your willy! :blink:

Well, despite a conspicuous lack of enthusiasm for this I am reporting anyway.

Confession:

I've not done it properly. I've had several exceptions. Social occasions in great pubs with great real ales on have been exceptions. Not loads (occasions or beers) but some.

Good effects:

Clear improvement in quality of sleep. I am significantly less tired.

Work is easier, I grasp things almost straight away without having to force myself to think things through, plus less tired (see above) so easier to concentrate.

Eyes are clearer, face looks generally younger.

My memory is much better.

Less wind ;)

Downsides:

Well, I like beer. Not alcohol, but beer. I like the taste and effect. And I now have that less.

Today is a standard work day, weather's a bit grey and it gets dark early. So instead of having a few beers to look forward to this evening I will find myself at a loose end, so I end the day on a bit of a low rather than a bit of a high.

Conclusion:

This is the way to go, I'll relax it a bit but having four or five drink-free days a week does so much for my general well-being that I'm sold on it.

And:

It wasn't hard to do (ok I didn't do it absolutely properly), which in itself is good news as you do wonder whether you are a habitual drinker or an alcoholic and the only way to find out is to stop and see how much you crave it.

Well, despite a conspicuous lack of enthusiasm for this I am reporting anyway.

Confession:

I've not done it properly. I've had several exceptions. Social occasions in great pubs with great real ales on have been exceptions. Not loads (occasions or beers) but some.

I quit for good about this time last year. Went from a regular/heavy drinker for 30 years to nil. Still go to pubs etc but drink lime and soda, as it's the only non alcoholic drink I can find that isn't full of sugar.

Good effects:

Clear improvement in quality of sleep. I am significantly less tired.

Work is easier, I grasp things almost straight away without having to force myself to think things through, plus less tired (see above) so easier to concentrate.

Eyes are clearer, face looks generally younger.

My memory is much better.

Less wind ;)

Agree with all of this, especially the sleep. I can't remember ever sleeping this well. I sleep like a log for 7-8 hours a night now without fail and wake up bright and energetic.

Downsides:

Well, I like beer. Not alcohol, but beer. I like the taste and effect. And I now have that less.

Today is a standard work day, weather's a bit grey and it gets dark early. So instead of having a few beers to look forward to this evening I will find myself at a loose end, so I end the day on a bit of a low rather than a bit of a high.

I do sympathise. I used to love a good bitter. I could take wine or leave it but I also liked the occasional brandy after a meal. But seeing a rack of bitters in a decent pub and taking time to choose one was one of my little pleasures.

I do sometimes find myself at a loose end at home in the evenings when I would have a drink. I usually go to bed and read when I feel like this (but never before 22:00)

Conclusion:

This is the way to go, I'll relax it a bit but having four or five drink-free days a week does so much for my general well-being that I'm sold on it.

And:

It wasn't hard to do (ok I didn't do it absolutely properly), which in itself is good news as you do wonder whether you are a habitual drinker or an alcoholic and the only way to find out is to stop and see how much you crave it.

I didn't find it difficult to give up, and I don't regret doing so. Although I was fond of drinking I don't really miss it and can't imagine ever going back to it. Although I still go to pubs my social life has suffered to the extent that I am always the first to leave any occasion. No-one thinks this is anti social - I have made the effort to go out after all - and I can enjoy the next morning doing something constructive rather than nursing a hangover. And when I leave, my mates are just passing that point from a "bit tipsy" to "tedious"

What I have learned over the last year is that booze really does soak up incredible amounts of time, energy and money.

I did try and cut down for a bit before knocking it on the head once and for all. To be honest I found it stressful and not worth the bother. I bet quite a few people are counting the days to the end of the month so they can have a snifter. With me it simply isn't a consideration anymore. I think if you get to the stage where you're monitoring your drinking days, or units consumed you're more in thrall to the booze than someone who just drinks what and when they want.

But I am pleased I've stopped and don't feel I'm missing out.

I read Alan Carr's Easyway to Control Alcohol in a couple of days and stopped as soon as I'd finished it. It really was as easy as that.

I quit for good about this time last year. Went from a regular/heavy drinker for 30 years to nil. Still go to pubs etc but drink lime and soda, as it's the only non alcoholic drink I can find that isn't full of sugar.

I'm also a lime and soda man, nicer than insanely sweet lemonade / coke / J2O and usually half the price.

Agree with all of this, especially the sleep. I can't remember ever sleeping this well. I sleep like a log for 7-8 hours a night now without fail and wake up bright and energetic.

I do sympathise. I used to love a good bitter. I could take wine or leave it but I also liked the occasional brandy after a meal. But seeing a rack of bitters in a decent pub and taking time to choose one was one of my little pleasures.

I do sometimes find myself at a loose end at home in the evenings when I would have a drink. I usually go to bed and read when I feel like this (but never before 22:00)

Strange, I also have the 10pm rule, it used to be a fight when I was tired through booze but now I see it as a fixed point in my evening.

I didn't find it difficult to give up, and I don't regret doing so. Although I was fond of drinking I don't really miss it and can't imagine ever going back to it. Although I still go to pubs my social life has suffered to the extent that I am always the first to leave any occasion. No-one thinks this is anti social - I have made the effort to go out after all - and I can enjoy the next morning doing something constructive rather than nursing a hangover. And when I leave, my mates are just passing that point from a "bit tipsy" to "tedious"

What I have learned over the last year is that booze really does soak up incredible amounts of time, energy and money.

I did try and cut down for a bit before knocking it on the head once and for all. To be honest I found it stressful and not worth the bother. I bet quite a few people are counting the days to the end of the month so they can have a snifter. With me it simply isn't a consideration anymore. I think if you get to the stage where you're monitoring your drinking days, or units consumed you're more in thrall to the booze than someone who just drinks what and when they want.

But I am pleased I've stopped and don't feel I'm missing out.

I read Alan Carr's Easyway to Control Alcohol in a couple of days and stopped as soon as I'd finished it. It really was as easy as that.

I have tried before and failed but that was because I was trying to drink an undefined "less". So try to have two nights off a week, but fancy it Monday, Tuesday etc. and the week's running out and you can't miss Saturday night! Ah well, always next week.

This way I've done it by not drinking unless there is a particular reason and that's worked. I'm going back to Friday / Saturday nights plus any other where there is a good reason; that'll work out at two or at most three nights a week and it's the fact that most nights I don't expect to drink that makes it work for me.

Whether it's a step to giving up I'm not sure, I don't think I want to anyway. I was fine (as in no negative effects) with drinking at weekends (very rarely got hammered, I don't enjoy that) and wanted to get back to it, and think I have.

If its any consolation Frank, some days its been a real struggle to force one down my neck this month.

Been there, one time I realised I was on for a fifty pint week and was forcing it down Sat and Sun when it was the last thing I wanted. I was well pleased tho and one of my mates bought me a certificate!

Been there, one time I realised I was on for a fifty pint week and was forcing it down Sat and Sun when it was the last thing I wanted. I was well pleased tho and one of my mates bought me a certificate!

Ah, a half-Centurion.