House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rantnrave

Lord Sugar's Apprentice

What is it in this country that house ownership can be overlooked as a sign of wealth?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-24276627

Lord Sugar loses Apprentice tribunal legal costs bid

Lord Sugar's bid to recover costs from the winner of TV's The Apprentice after she lost a constructive dismissal claim against him has failed.An East London Tribunal Service panel ruled Stella English, from Kent, should not pay any of the £50,000 legal fees.

The initial tribunal said Ms English's case "should never have been brought" - a statement reiterated by Lord Sugar's lawyers in his bid to recover costs.

The panel rejected the bid and said Ms English truly believed she had a case.

Henry Hendron, lawyer for the mother of two, said his client was "over the moon", and the tribunal had stated she did not bring the original claim against Lord Sugar's company motivated by malice or bad intentions.

He said: "Ms English is now keen to put this saga behind her."

During the proceedings, Ms English, who has been unemployed since July, said she had about £200 in her bank account.

She said that despite owning three properties, she had been forced to apply for housing benefit and is also considering applying for jobseekers allowance.

She told the panel: "I do not know how I am going to feed my kids, never mind the mortgages."

In her witness statement, she said the entire episode had affected her family financially and emotionally, had "a devastating impact" on her career prospects, and the stress had contributed to the breakdown of her marriage, leaving her unemployed and a single parent.

'Claim culture'

Ms English lost her constructive dismissal claim against Lord Sugar in April.

The 34-year-old, who earned £100,000 a year, had claimed she had no real role at Lord Sugar's IT firm, Viglen, but Lord Sugar said he had no case to answer.

Following the unanimous ruling in his favour, he tweeted: "A victory for the law against the claim culture."

At the time, in a written judgment, Judge John Warren said: "This was a claim which should never have been brought. There was no assurance or suggestion that the winner would receive direct mentoring from Lord Sugar."

The judge found that Ms English, of Whitstable, was given a "real job" at Viglen, with "enormous scope for advancement and learning".

The 2010 Apprentice winner resigned from the company in May 2011 and then felt pressurised into taking up a new position at Lord Sugar's internet set-top box company YouView, Ms English had told the hearing.

Lord Sugar said he was trying to help her out by offering her a new position because she had complained of being "desperate for money".

Currently I have too much in savings to qualify for certain types of benefit. If I were to use that cash to buy a property outright, I would however suddenly qualify for them again. Madness.

What is it in this country that house ownership can be overlooked as a sign of wealth?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-24276627

Currently I have too much in savings to qualify for certain types of benefit. If I were to use that cash to buy a property outright, I would however suddenly qualify for them again. Madness.

Presumably she 'owns' her properties in the modern sense of the word, ie, is up to her eyeballs in debt with them and can't afford to sell because of negative equity.

How she managed to scrape by on a pittance of £100k a year is heart rending.

My heart bleeds.

Do you mean...broke apart from the three properties the banks tax payers owns ?

"The TV show winner said during the proceedings that she only has around £200 in her bank account, is falling into arrears on the three properties she owns and has been forced to apply for housing benefit."

How on Earth did she get herself into this situation?

"The TV show winner said during the proceedings that she only has around £200 in her bank account, is falling into arrears on the three properties she owns and has been forced to apply for housing benefit."

of course, she just borrowed the money from herself...no-one else was to blame or should crystalize their loss.

I thought that would be quite obvious...she bought into the housing pyramid scheme.

I thought that would be quite obvious...she bought into the housing pyramid scheme.

And clearly a btl portfolio bought on debt makes no profit. Like all landlords she is in it for capital gains.

She told the panel: "I do not know how I am going to feed my kids, never mind the mortgages."

Well blondie played a blinder here didn't she?

Maybe if she hadn't jacked in her £100k dogs-body job she'd be on her way to giving Fergus a run for his money on the Kent slumlord scene.

When Lord Sugar asked her for a cup of tea, she should've replied, "Yessir, Alan sir. How many sugars, Lord Sugar?"

Then goes to tribunal just to make herself completely unemployable. Sounds like an ideal candidate for these "high-flying" estate agents we've been hearing about.

Er, isnt claiming housing benefit when you have other £16k in assets, er, illegal?

Either she's breaking the law, or shes lying, or the press is doing about as much research as they usually do?

Presumably she doesn't have £16k in equity in those houses. Gamble gamble gamble.

Doesnt work like that, does it?

http://www.eden.gov.uk/benefits-and-tax/benefits/housing-benefit/how-housing-benefit-is-calculated-and-paid/

Ive never heard of calculations being based on net of debt values, anyway.

Ok. I don't know how it works but as she's applying for that I was assuming she'd looked into it and wouldn't be disqualified for owning three houses, odd as that may seem.

It just shows how far the entitlement culture has come. A few years ago, I doubt people would be surprised if someone in this position lost their house before getting too many more benefits payments. Fast forward to 2013 and people expect to be able to keep three BTLs whilst on emergency benefits!

It just shows how far the entitlement culture has come. A few years ago, I doubt people would be surprised if someone in this position lost their house before getting too many more benefits payments. Fast forward to 2013 and people expect to be able to keep three BTLs whilst on emergency benefits!

Special dispensation for BTLers where welfare is concerned.................

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2461438/Broke-Stella-English-holidays-Cannes-visits-expensive-shops.html

.....or you could live with someone, not married to them or have any joint financial account with them.....if they have their own independent funds and you had no savings, you could not claim or qualify....their money is calculated as your money even though it is not, or will never be.. ;)