House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

Wisdom Tooth Doom.......

It's the dreaded ..... wisdom teeth removal scenario :unsure:

I've been getting twinges in my lower jaw, and suspected wisdom teeth straight away. Then my ears started to "burn". Now I'm beginning to feel soreness on the lower left side, which is the only wisdom tooth that actually broke through years ago. The rest are hiding. So I don't know if the exposed tooth has decayed a little, or they are just all moving around and causing problems.

I've made an appointment for a diagnosis on Saturday. I need it to hold out till then, so I'm on a diet of ibuprofen to reduce any inflammation. Is there anything else I can do to keep an abscess at bay? I don't think they can remove a tooth if there's an abscess. It has to be infection free first, and that means a delay while antibiotics do their work.

And what about removal, any tales to tell? If I have to get all four out, I'm going for a general for sure. I'm no masochist. But if they want to remove just that one, then maybe a local would be ok?

I'm in a tight spot with this, because in the US dental charges are stupidly high, with or without insurance in this case. I'm going to cross the border into Mexico on Saturday to get treatment at one of the "dental villages" there. They deal with Americans and Canadians almost exclusively, and have mostly great reputations. The cost is a fraction of US costs.

I've been getting twinges in my lower jaw, and suspected wisdom teeth straight away. Then my ears started to "burn". Now I'm beginning to feel soreness on the lower left side, which is the only wisdom tooth that actually broke through years ago. The rest are hiding. So I don't know if the exposed tooth has decayed a little, or they are just all moving around and causing problems.

I've made an appointment for a diagnosis on Saturday. I need it to hold out till then, so I'm on a diet of ibuprofen to reduce any inflammation. Is there anything else I can do to keep an abscess at bay? I don't think they can remove a tooth if there's an abscess. It has to be infection free first, and that means a delay while antibiotics do their work.

And what about removal, any tales to tell? If I have to get all four out, I'm going for a general for sure. I'm no masochist. But if they want to remove just that one, then maybe a local would be ok?

I'm in a tight spot with this, because in the US dental charges are stupidly high, with or without insurance in this case. I'm going to cross the border into Mexico on Saturday to get treatment at one of the "dental villages" there. They deal with Americans and Canadians almost exclusively, and have mostly great reputations. The cost is a fraction of US costs.

I've had plenty of dental work over the years thanks to a combination of genetically inherited crap teeth and not looking after them when I was younger.

I've actually had three teeth removed in total over the years (two of which are bridged so I only have one "gap").

I've also had fillings, root canal treatment, bridgework, more bridgework and so on.

Actually, the thing I always dreaded most was removal of a tooth. Yet compared with everything else, in hindsight it's what I ought to have feared least.

What it comes down to is a man or woman standing in front of you with a sort of ratchet style thing which grips onto the tooth and pulls it out. It all seems so, well, rudimentary. You can always keep your eyes shut.

It takes seconds and you don't actually feel anything. Seriously. Actually my greater concern was swallowing it.

However on one occasion infection set in afterwards and that was seriously painful.

I'm not sure if there are specific complications regarding wisdom teeth.

But since you're in that position anyway with pain, in the words of Yazz and the Plastic Population, the only way is up.

But since you're in that position anyway with pain, in the words of Yazz and the Plastic Population, the only way is up.

Yes, absolutely :)

I did have a normal tooth removed many years ago. I remember it being really unpleasant but not horrific. The worst part was leaving the dentists and staggering outside almost passing out.... those injections can really fog your mind! Or it was delayed shock heh.

But wisdom teeth are different. If they are errupted, it's more straight forward to remove them because they are visible. Unerrupted (impacted) widsom teeth require surgery because they are under the gum line. If you have a general, it can leave you talking gibberish for the rest of the day apparently. I hope my wife is prepared for this....

Yes, absolutely :)

I did have a normal tooth removed many years ago. I remember it being really unpleasant but not horrific. The worst part was leaving the dentists and staggering outside almost passing out.... those injections can really fog your mind! Or it was delayed shock heh.

But wisdom teeth are different. If they are errupted, it's more straight forward to remove them because they are visible. Unerrupted (impacted) widsom teeth require surgery because they are under the gum line. If you have a general, it can leave you talking gibberish for the rest of the day apparently. I hope my wife is prepared for this....

I recall having general anaesthetic as a child for some dental work and yes, I could barely function for the rest of the day. And I was young then ;) It wasn't really unpleasant as such, more like being drunk.

I tend to find most visits to the dentist leave me feeling mildly violated in some way and a long session does indeed create a sense of "shock" which takes a couple of hours to pass.

Something to do with having someone performing procedures inside of you which you cannot see or control but for which you are conscious no doubt.

Good luck :)

I tend to find most visits to the dentist leave me feeling mildly violated in some way and a long session does indeed create a sense of "shock" which takes a couple of hours to pass.

Yes that's a great way to describe it!

All my wisdom teeth had come through fully, with just the occasional day of dulling pain as during their grow stage, as they came through over the years.

Around 2 and a half years ago, got serious pain in my lower left wisdom tooth. I was a long way from home, but still in the UK, so went to an NHS emergency dentist. The lady dentist just pushed in hard a temporary filler. Like some pinkish-red material. (Better than the temporary filler stuff you can buy from some chemists.)

I didn't expect it to have any affect, but the pain began to go away within 10 minutes. Good value at something like £17 or £27, when I thought I might have a heart-attack due to lack of sleep with the pain (it had been a bank holiday weekend, with the pain beginning Thursday evening, and no dentist around open till Tuesday). The filler 'set' and I haven't ever bothered having any further work done to it, for it's not caused me any pain since. 2 1/2 years temporary filler taking all the pain away in a wisdom tooth no one ever sees, and allowing me to keep it. I think the nerve had been exposed to air, and the filler material just sealed it. Just thought I'd mention it, but might be very different in your circumstances.

Additionally I have had my two upper wisdom teeth taken out. Just an injection, 10 minutes in the chair, and both extracted without feeling a thing. Comfortable almost. I love my current dentist. Good luck in sorting it, and keeping the costs down.

Additionally I have had my two upper wisdom teeth taken out. Just an injection, 10 minutes in the chair, and both extracted without feeling a thing. Comfortable almost. I love my current dentist. Good luck in sorting it, and keeping the costs down.

Sounds like you have an excellent dentist. I'll browse around the pharmacy tomorrow and see what they might have for teeth. I've never heard of that filler before. I'm mixing ibuprofen with acetaminophen for now.

Sounds like you have an excellent dentist. I'll browse around the pharmacy tomorrow and see what they might have for teeth. I've never heard of that filler before. I'm mixing ibuprofen with acetaminophen for now.

This is the temporary filler brand I've tried (mine had a few extra bits and pieces in it, like a tub of eugenol / clove oil, which I didn't like and didn't help), in a second instance of toothache I once had, although it didn't do anything to stop the pain, and I required some real dentistry work.

The filler from the chemist was also a bit awkward to use when I attempted it myself, but it does seem to work for some people. The temporary filler used by a proper dentist on my wisdom tooth was tougher stuff. Good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/Dentek-Temparin-Lost-Filling-Repair/dp/B0013NHU3S/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I did have my "wisdom teeth" taken out many years, in a hospital, because it was too difficult for a dentist! I thought I had been kicked in the head by the horse!

Now I have no wisdom, but the brighter ones among you have spotted that already! :lol:

I had a wisdom tooth out last friday.

It had had an abcess a month ago which required Antibiotics....As it would happen, on thursday I was eating a tomato slice and something seemed to get stuck in the offending tooth....at the Dentist, he was now able to diagnose it, as the tooth had split lengthwise...

two jabs and it was pulled out....swab and rinse and home....

Wife is now impressed in my pain handling....she had to spend 2 days in hospital for hers...mine was pain free more or less and eating on that side is now a pleasure.

Plenty of Ibuprofen was the drug of choice, I even tried tramadol, that numbed the rest of me down but the tooth pain remained.

Good luck.

Metrodiazonale and amoxycillin are two antibiotics I have been prescribed to settle the mother of all abcesses and the swelling (and pain) reduced within hours. If you call into your dentist they should just be able to write you out a script just to keep you going until they can check you up fully- if there is an infection they will just prescribe a course of a week anyway before they start the work. Other than that salt water mouthwashes regularly and immediately after eating/drinking anything will help avoid infection in the first place.

Know how you feel!

My lower wisdom teeth were growing in crooked and there was no room for them. I had them removed in NHS hospital and I was black and blue from my eyes down to the bottom of my neck. The pain was horrific and I could only take liquids and painkillers.

I still have a damaged nerve in my lower jaw where they dug the tooth out and my face is numb there.

I'm glad the teeth are out though.

I had four impacted wisdom teeth removed some forty years ago. My young dentist said it was too difficult for him, and, as I had medical insurance, he got his senior partner to do it in a private hospital. I was in so much pain that my GP prescribed Pethidine for the first week or two and my lower left jaw was completely numb for five years, with the feeling gradually returning after that.

I had four impacted wisdom teeth removed some forty years ago. My young dentist said it was too difficult for him, and, as I had medical insurance, he got his senior partner to do it in a private hospital. I was in so much pain that my GP prescribed Pethidine for the first week or two and my lower left jaw was completely numb for five years, with the feeling gradually returning after that.

guess I was lucky...must be my big mouth

I had all mine out (1 at a time) at a normal Dentist appointment with multiple injections. The top ones popped out within seconds. The bottom ones required a bit more pulling.

Absolutely no pain from any of the extractions. Discomfort, but no pain. The injection was more annoying than the extraction itself.

I was sent to Manchester RI to have some wisdom teeth taken out. I sat in the waiting room for about 30 minutes and decided I couldn't go through with it. I was shaking and on the verge of being sick.

If they'd not kept me waiting I'd have probably gone in.

The difference seems to be in whether they've come through or not.

Mine hadn't but were impacted. I had all four taken out in one session and based on that my advice is:

- have general anaesthetic

- get someone to drive you home

- take the following week off

- stock up on soup, yoghurt and soft foods.

It's basically like having your face smashed in with a brick.

The difference seems to be in whether they've come through or not.

Mine hadn't but were impacted. I had all four taken out in one session and based on that my advice is:

- get someone to drive you home

- take the following week off

- stock up on soup, yoghurt and soft foods.

It's basically like having your face smashed in with a brick.

Yes, that's probably the difference.

Mine had not come through and probably never would have as they were pointed in the wrong direction, horizontal rather than vertical. The dentist had to break them up and remove the bits, under general anaesthetic, rather than extract them whole. The last bits of bone and tooth surfaced years later.

Having said all that, mine were particularly difficult, most people wouldn't have all that trouble.

Really bad advice. You only have this if you absolutely need to - i.e. the operation can't be done any other way. General anaesthetics are to be avoided if at all possible.

As my dentist said, he avoids them as much as he can. There is increasing evidence that they can cause long-term brain issues, breathing/lung issues and a host of other issues.

Really bad advice. You only have this is you absolutely need to - i.e. the operation can't be done any other way. General anaesthetics are to be avoided if at all possible.

As my dentist said, he avoids them as much as he can. There is increasing evidence that they can cause long-term brain issues, breathing/lung issues and a host of other issues.

Well okay then. Have general anaesthetic if your dentist advises it. Mine did.

Get some corsodyl mouthwash for the inflammation, it will really help.

I've had 3 wisdom teeth out when I was in my early 20's. They were all through straight but they were uncomfortable so the dentist pulled them over the course of a few years.

I have one left which has broken the gum but is at an angle and it's a PITA. Food gets stuck or scratches it and then it gets really sore and inflamed. The corsodyl really helps and it calms down again within 24 hours.

Metrodiazonale

I hate this stuff, having taken 2 courses earlier this year. Would make me fall asleep about an hour after taking a tablet, affected my appetite, made my pee smell bad AND you can't drink during the course :(

My lower wisdom teeth were growing in crooked and there was no room for them. I had them removed in NHS hospital and I was black and blue from my eyes down to the bottom of my neck. The pain was horrific and I could only take liquids and painkillers.

I still have a damaged nerve in my lower jaw where they dug the tooth out and my face is numb there.

I'm glad the teeth are out though.

Pretty much the same. I certainly hurt a bit! When it was all done, and I had stopped fondling the nurses, I had to go home 50 miles on a motorbike. :blink:

Just picked Mrs JTB up from the surgery where she's spend *four hours* with a dentist trying and failing to remove a tooth. It was supposed to take "20 minutes". The dentist gave up in the end and says she needs to see a surgeon.

As someone with a terrible fear of dentists, I'm in a worse state of trauma than she is - and I wasn't even there. And I have a couple of cracked teeth that need looking at soonish.

It wasn't even a wisdom tooth. It was adjacent; the removal of the wisdom tooth a while back causing some ghastly jaw rot.

I'd have just asked to have my head cut off and be done with it.

Just picked Mrs JTB up from the surgery where she's spend *four hours* with a dentist trying and failing to remove a tooth. It was supposed to take "20 minutes". The dentist gave up in the end and says she needs to see a surgeon.

As someone with a terrible fear of dentists, I'm in a worse state of trauma than she is - and I wasn't even there. And I have a couple of cracked teeth that need looking at soonish.

It wasn't even a wisdom tooth. It was adjacent; the removal of the wisdom tooth a while back causing some ghastly jaw rot.

I'd have just asked to have my head cut off and be done with it.

You can always wear a plastic "dummy head". Nobody at work will notice! :blink:

Pretty much the same. I certainly hurt a bit! When it was all done, and I had stopped fondling the nurses, I had to go home 50 miles on a motorbike. :blink:

I had the full knock-out for some of (or all? - I can't remember) my wisdoms. My dentist, knowing my dislike of dentists, reckoned it would be easier all round - and would save us the mutual embarrassment of me taking a swing at her mid-procedure.