House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Revealed: Qatar's World Cup 'slaves'

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/25/revealed-qatars-world-cup-slaves

Dozens of Nepalese migrant labourers have died in Qatar in recent weeks and thousands more are enduring appalling labour abuses, a Guardian investigation has found, raising serious questions about Qatar's preparations to host the 2022 World Cup.

This summer, Nepalese workers died at a rate of almost one a day in Qatar, many of them young men who had sudden heart attacks. The investigation found evidence to suggest that thousands of Nepalese, who make up the single largest group of labourers in Qatar, face exploitation and abuses that amount to modern-day slavery, as defined by the International Labour Organisation, during a building binge paving the way for 2022.

According to documents obtained from the Nepalese embassy in Doha, at least 44 workers died between 4 June and 8 August. More than half died of heart attacks, heart failure or workplace accidents.

The investigation also reveals:

• Evidence of forced labour on a huge World Cup infrastructure project.

• Some Nepalese men have alleged that they have not been paid for months and have had their salaries retained to stop them running away.

• Some workers on other sites say employers routinely confiscate passports and refuse to issue ID cards, in effect reducing them to the status of illegal aliens.

• Some labourers say they have been denied access to free drinking water in the desert heat.

• About 30 Nepalese sought refuge at their embassy in Doha to escape the brutal conditions of their employment.

The allegations suggest a chain of exploitation leading from poor Nepalese villages to Qatari leaders. The overall picture is of one of the richest nations exploiting one of the poorest to get ready for the world's most popular sporting tournament.

But it's the world cup, FIFA would never allow slavery....

I wonder if the high death rates is also down to the poverty in the home country meaning these workers aren't as fit as their higher income counterparts?

Good to see slavery isn't dead and no doubt these are the conditions many of the elite around the globe aspire too for all workers so we know our place.

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2013/sep/26/qatar-world-cup-migrant-workers-dead

Qatar World Cup construction 'will leave 4,000 migrant workers dead'

Exclusive: International Trade Union Confederation claims about 12 labourers will die each week unless action is taken

It's a pity the worlds leading players aren't making a stance and threaten to boycott Brazil over this.

I've yet to read one good reason for Qatar hosting the games. A disaster in the making, and already by the looks of it if you happen to have a family member working on the construction sites.

I suspect that there were several million good reasons, mostly hidden in brown envelopes.

I read something saying South Korea wants to get some african guest workers over there to offset the ageing population...will pay them $80...a month!

Seems like we're the only mugs who take this 'equality' stuff seriously. No wonder they all want to come here.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/02/qatar-workers-deaths-fifa-world-cup-2022

International pressure on Qatar to prevent exploitation of migrant workers in the buildup to the 2022 football World Cup escalated on Wednesday as victims' groups and the United Nations urged the game's governing body to act to halt a death toll that is already in the hundreds.

As the executive committee of Fifa convened in Zurich for two days of talks including a session on Qatar's preparations for the biggest sporting event ever to be held in the Middle East, the Uefa president, Michel Platini, said he was "much more concerned" with allegations over the treatment of migrant workers in the Gulf state than with discussions over whether to move the tournament to winter.

Pressure growing....

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/24/qatar-2022-world-cup-185-nepalese-workers-died-2013

The extent of the risks faced by migrant construction workers building the infrastructure for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar has been laid bare by official documents revealing that 185 Nepalese men died last year alone.

The 2013 death toll, which is expected to rise as new cases come to light, is likely to spark fresh concern over the treatment of migrant workers in Qatar and increase the pressure on Fifa to force meaningful change. According to the documents the total number of verified deaths among workers from Nepal – just one of several countries that supply hundreds of thousands of migrant workers to the gas-rich state – is now at least 382 in two years alone. At least 36 of those deaths were registered in the weeks following the global outcry after the Guardian's original revelations in September.

Disposable workers.

interesting turn of phrase>

"Countries that supply workers."

Human resources made reality.

I wonder if the high death rates is also down to the poverty in the home country meaning these workers aren't as fit as their higher income counterparts?

Good to see slavery isn't dead and no doubt these are the conditions many of the elite around the globe aspire too for all workers so we know our place.

Nothing ever changes out there. Alot of my time was spent inspecting contractor camps. I remember a colleague and I spent a week at a huge camp where the workers (6000) were building a gas plant. Our report was 19 pages long and that was the cut down version. Needless to say Saudi management did nothing with it.

Fairly typical occurrences are death trap electrics (no earthing), insantary washing facilities, non existent water sanitation, filthy cooking facilities, large gen sets running next to accommodation meaning workers get little or no sleep, bed bugs are rife, air systems not working, leaking sweage, gas pipes made out of garden hose (death trap) etc etc etc.

Nepalese always seem to be bottom of the shit heap, next Bengalis, then Indians, then Pakistanis, and Filipinos.

Nothing ever changes out there. Alot of my time was spent inspecting contractor camps. I remember a colleague and I spent a week at a huge camp where the workers (6000) were building a gas plant. Our report was 19 pages long and that was the cut down version. Needless to say Saudi management did nothing with it.

Fairly typical occurrences are death trap electrics (no earthing), insantary washing facilities, non existent water sanitation, filthy cooking facilities, large gen sets running next to accommodation meaning workers get little or no sleep, bed bugs are rife, air systems not working, leaking sweage, gas pipes made out of garden hose (death trap) etc etc etc.

Nepalese always seem to be bottom of the shit heap, next Bengalis, then Indians, then Pakistanis, and Filipinos.

Shame on these people! Dignity should not be denied to anyone!

Me, me...I have one.

Neither an Arab nor a Muslim country has ever hosted the World Cup yet football is deeply popular amongst one and all. Sport can bind us into one big happy global family. And there's not many peaceful ones left with which to hold it.

Its a bit warm there I here...we play footy in the winter...or used to be when it was a sport and not a money making enterprise.

One thing is for sure FIFA aren't going to listen us....just sour grapes after our failed bid. Racism (Russia) Incompetent builders and failed deadlines (Brazil) Slavery and Climate (Qatar) Best keep our own counsel.