House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
One-percent

Messing With Their Heads

Hi,

Not sure if anyone is interested, but I've taken great delight in winding up an estate agent recently.

A bit of background: years ago bought a flat and when sold, the buyers wanted the lease extending. But it comes with the freehold says I. Still wanted it extending, so as part of the negotiations, said the freehold will cost whatever the legal fees for this is. Anyhow, so I still hold the freehold and moving on, the leaseholder has not paid the ground rent for a number of years. They now want to sell. I don't feel confident in answering all the legalese from the solicitor, so have just been referring to the lease (and why should I when they have not upheld their side of the contract).

A couple of weeks ago, a very young estate agent turned up on my doorstep as my 'attitude of not responding' was stopping the sale. He tried all approaches from emotional blackmail, to threats, to bribery but wasn't clear on what he wanted from me. My response was to say whatever you need/want, put it in writing. I stupidly gave him my 'phone number. I'm now getting similar calls along the lines of good news for you, but never specific and falling back on the emotional blackmail. I just respond with 'put it in writing'. He really does not like this, goes away for a few days and comes back on the 'phone.

After all the horror stories on here and elsewhere about estate agents, I thought that this might make someone smile.

But it comes with the freehold says I. Still wanted it extending, so as part of the negotiations, said the freehold will cost whatever the legal fees for this is. Anyhow, so I still hold the freehold and moving on, the leaseholder has not paid the ground rent for a number of years.

If the flat was meant to be sold with the freehold, why do you still have it?

And are you aware that for leaseholders to pay ground rent these days you have to bill them? The rules changed some years back and leaseholders are under no obligation to pay ground rent unless they receive the demand in a particular form.

If the flat was meant to be sold with the freehold, why do you still have it?

And are you aware that for leaseholders to pay ground rent these days you have to bill them? The rules changed some years back and leaseholders are under no obligation to pay ground rent unless they receive the demand in a particular form.

Hi, coz they were and are two separate entities and the cost of extending the lease was significant. I was more than happy to pass over the freehold, but did not wish to pay for the lease extension

On the second point, all demands have been sent in line with the leasehold legislation, using an appropriate format, with reminders sent. We are only talking £50 pa. The point I was trying to make was about the estate agent who is clearly out of his comfort zone here