House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Stalin's Rusting Cable Cars

Strangely it reminds me of the Russian sci-fi film "Kin-zda-zda"! :blink:

Working on research for an historical documentary TV show, I once visited a really remote town in north-west Canada (Dawson City). The final flight in a long sequence to get there was on a propeller-driver Douglas DC-3. To my astonishment, the flight was totally full; and most of the people on it were plane geeks from Europe and the US who had trekked all the way out to that sh!tehole for the one and only purpose of a trip on that 50 year-old aeroplane.

My sister, a qualified airline captain with 6,000 flying hours on modern jets, later told me that I had probably incurred about the same statistical risk of losing my life on those two flights (in and out) as she had in all her hours in the air.

But yet there is, seemingly, no shortage of enthusiasts who are willing to expend serious time and money in taking that risk.

Working on research for an historical documentary TV show, I once visited a really remote town in north-west Canada (Dawson City). The final flight in a long sequence to get there was on a propeller-driver Douglas DC-3. To my astonishment, the flight was totally full; and most of the people on it were plane geeks from Europe and the US who had trekked all the way out to that sh!tehole for the one and only purpose of a trip on that 50 year-old aeroplane.

My sister, a qualified airline captain with 6,000 flying hours on modern jets, later told me that I had probably incurred about the same statistical risk of losing my life on those two flights (in and out) as she had in all her hours in the air.

But yet there is, seemingly, no shortage of enthusiasts who are willing to expend serious time and money in taking that risk.

Was it an actual DC-3 or was it a C-47?

Edit:

Apparently it was a DC-3

Buffalo Airways, based in Canada's Northwest Territories, operates scheduled DC-3 passenger service between their main base in Yellowknife and Hay River, plus some passenger charter operations, using DC-3s. Some DC-3s are also used by the airline for cargo operations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_DC-3#Douglas_DC-3_today

It was a DC-3 alright, as the person sitting next to me - a plane geek who had come from Florida simply to travel on it - explained at great length. That Canadian airline is one of only 4-5 in the world still flying passengers in them, and the others are located in countries which for a visitor from civilisation, the risk of being involved in an air accident would be the least of your worries. Of 20 or so passengers on that flight, I was one of only 3-4 who were on it because they were trying to get to where the plane was going.

A friend, who is an airline pilot, says taking an Air France flight exposes you to the same statistical risk as all his hours of flying with [an airline with a much better safety record].