House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

Workington Corus Plan Could Ease Uk Housing Crisis

Workington Corus plan could ease Uk housing crisis

Published on 18/11/2005

A PLAN has been floated for a production line of factory-built houses on the Corus Rail site at Mossbay, Workington.

Award-winning architect Colin Ratcliffe-Springall is behind the plan for a production centre for pre-built houses designed to ease Britain’s housing crisis.

The plan has won support from Workington MP Tony Cunningham, although financial backing is still to be secured.

Mr Cunningham believes the factory could help deputy prime minster John Prescott’s drive to facilitate the building of 300,000 new affordable homes every year over the next decade.

He said: “Schemes like this do not appear often, and there is no doubting the determination of the people behind it.

“There is some way to go, but I will be doing all I can and I hope to interest the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister.”

If the right people back the scheme, the factory would be built on the Corus site, though other sites are also being viewed."

Continued .............

http://www.timesandstar.co.uk/news/viewart....aspx?id=303350

Edited by gruffydd

:lol::lol::lol: how about gravy variety.

Workington - Milan of the North!

I expect it'll all go wrong and they'll end up having to offer FTBs teepees or caves or cardboard boxes or something as an alternative.

Seriously though; who do they anticipate will wish to spend their lives in one of these?

Doesn't that rather depend on what they are like?

I find people far too willing to :

a ) trash bricks and mortar as an investment

b ) denigrate anything else.

Then stick them in fromt of a TV with Grand Designs showing some alternative egg-sheel-wheetabix-bostik construction and all of a sudden they want to move in there and then!

Workington Corus plan could ease Uk housing crisis

Published on 18/11/2005

A PLAN has been floated for a production line of factory-built houses on the Corus Rail site at Mossbay, Workington.

Award-winning architect Colin Ratcliffe-Springall is behind the plan for a production centre for pre-built houses designed to ease Britain’s housing crisis.

The plan has won support from Workington MP Tony Cunningham, although financial backing is still to be secured.

wow, Prescott is really serious about this stuff isn't he!?

Workington though... from manufacturing to housing. Vibrant economic powerhouse of West Cumbria to the last!

Or could it be the 21st century chapter of the clearances... get the paupers out of the beautiful countryside (leaving it for hoity-toities and landowners) and stick em in some urban slums