House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PricedOutNative

Hpc-Ers = Calvinists?

I was described by someone as ‘Culturally Calvinistic’ so I googled this excellent description, it made me laugh with its accuracy and I imagine could be used to describe many people who read this forum…

http://www.traditioninaction.org/Cultural/D015cpProtestantMentalities.htm

His aim is a calm life; within that calmness, tedium; and within the tedium, bitterness.

*You could replace 'Lutheran' with Anglican/Catholic etc...

Edit: Added Quote

I was described by someone as ‘Culturally Calvinistic’ so I googled this excellent description, it made me laugh with its accuracy and I imagine could be used to describe many people who read this forum…

http://www.traditioninaction.org/Cultural/D015cpProtestantMentalities.htm

*You could replace 'Lutheran' with Anglican/Catholic etc...

Even the worst of the people of the city of Calvin aren't like that miserable description!

Even the worst of the people of the city of Calvin aren't like that miserable description!

Reading that, them Catholics are a spiteful lot!]

About time we had another religious schism and a war!

(I'm agnostic, I'll just be a spectator)

Alternative definition of a HPCer - a few quibbles, but mostly accurate:

A prig is a believer in red tape; that is, he exalts the method above the work done. A prig, like the Pharisee, says: "God, I thank thee that I am not as other men are"—except that he often substitutes Self for God. A prig is one who works out his paltry accounts to the last farthing, while his millionaire neighbour lets accounts take care of themselves. A prig expects others to square themselves to his very inadequate measuring rod, and condemns them with confidence if they do not. A prig is wise beyond his years in all things that do not matter. A prig cracks nuts with a steamhammer: that is, calls in the first principles of morality to decide whether he may, or must, do something of as little importance as drinking a glass of beer. On the whole, one may, perhaps, say that all his different characteristics come from the combination, in varying proportions, of three things—the desire to do his duty, the belief that he knows better than other people, and blindness to the difference in value between different things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prig

Alternative definition of a HPCer - a few quibbles, but mostly accurate:

A prig is a believer in red tape; that is, he exalts the method above the work done. A prig, like the Pharisee, says: "God, I thank thee that I am not as other men are"—except that he often substitutes Self for God. A prig is one who works out his paltry accounts to the last farthing, while his millionaire neighbour lets accounts take care of themselves. A prig expects others to square themselves to his very inadequate measuring rod, and condemns them with confidence if they do not. A prig is wise beyond his years in all things that do not matter. A prig cracks nuts with a steamhammer: that is, calls in the first principles of morality to decide whether he may, or must, do something of as little importance as drinking a glass of beer. On the whole, one may, perhaps, say that all his different characteristics come from the combination, in varying proportions, of three things—the desire to do his duty, the belief that he knows better than other people, and blindness to the difference in value between different things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prig

Don't you mean 'Pri*k' :rolleyes:

Seriously, Prig is a good candidate also.