House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tomandlu

6 Castles That Cost Less Than An Apartment In Nyc

New York even more insane than London?

6-castles-that-cost-less-than-an-apartment-in-nyc

I don't know the layout of NY well enough to know what sort of areas these are, but some of them don't look that desirable...

Is anywhere more insane than London? TBH I should think that 5 minutes on Rightmove would easily find apartments that cost twice or 3 three times the price of any of these castles.

A relative of Mr B's has a French chateau very similar to the 2nd one on the list and I believe he bought it for around the same price, I.e. Same as you could easily pay for a nothing that special family home in Putney. Just the heating costs upwards of 50K euros a year, live in caretaker about 12k' and that's without any maintenance. From what I gather the former owners who were running it as a hotel were desperate to offload it, and no wonder. It's certainly beautiful and he can afford it, but you really do need colossally deep pockets.

live in caretaker about 12k' and that's without any maintenance.

Live in caretaker would be more than 12K, that's less than the minimum wage.

There is a chateau opposite me, used to be owned by the Napoleon family, derelict but surrounded by a new housing estate. One of the new houses would cost you around 400K (euros), the chateau is yours for 50K - for all the reasons you point out. Too costly to maintain and run.

New York even more insane than London?

6-castles-that-cost-less-than-an-apartment-in-nyc

I don't know the layout of NY well enough to know what sort of areas these are, but some of them don't look that desirable...

At least half the prices are misprints: 10x higher than what they were really listed for. The place on the Lower East Side is probably $1.5m, but $3m for a cr*ppy house near JFK? Take a zero off the price and you're getting closer to what someone might pay for it.

There is a chateau opposite me, used to be owned by the Napoleon family, derelict but surrounded by a new housing estate. One of the new houses would cost you around 400K (euros), the chateau is yours for 50K - for all the reasons you point out. Too costly to maintain and run.

Well, 12k ish, on top of accomm and bills, this was a while ago, maybe it's more now. The bloke had been live in Ct for the previous owners and helped them restore it - it was his home and he was so afraid that new owners would boot him out. But of course Mr B's relative was only too pleased to have someone who knows the place inside out, and has improved his accomm enormously. Ct is well chuffed with it. But the bloke is getting on a bit and can put away oceans of booze. I asked the relative last time what on earth he'd do if Monsieur X keeled over one day, and he said, 'i'd be f*cked.'

Ive seen one or two crop up at those allsop irish auctions for 50k euros or similar. Arent really in liveable condition, but if theyve been standing there for the last 1000 years, i guess theyre unlikely to fall down now.

digs for free, all bills included, no council tax to pay, that must be a lot of freebies. in this case 12K more like a 25K equivalent if having to fund your own place.