House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longtomsilver

How Much Should You Spend On A Compact Dslr Camera?

My wife is looking for a new camera to replace a Canon EOS 40D which is a lovely camera but a tad too bulky.

Any recommendations (upto but not necessarily £800).

:)

what's a "compact" DSLR to you?

do you already have a collection of canon lenses to carry over?

how important is video to you?

eos 550d == 30% smaller, 40% lighter, has HD video, pretty cheap now.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_40D-vs-Canon_EOS_550D

Good questions above.

Canon have an 'M' system which is smaller than a normal DSLR, but with a couple of lens options(not compatible with any existing EF/EF-S lenses you have.) Other manufacturers have similar things available too, can't comment on relative strengths on one vs another though.

This is a good site for tracking prices if you don't know it:

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

My wife is looking for a new camera to replace a Canon EOS 40D which is a lovely camera but a tad too bulky.

Any recommendations (upto but not necessarily £800).

:)

She has to ask herself how much control of the picture taking process she wants, and whether features like weather sealing are important.

but most importantly, there is no point spending a lot of money on a body and putting entry-level glass on it.

And the second hand market has some very capable cameras.

I use photography in my work and I buy secondhand bodies but the best new glass.

what's a "compact" DSLR to you?

do you already have a collection of canon lenses to carry over?

how important is video to you?

eos 550d == 30% smaller, 40% lighter, has HD video, pretty cheap now.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_40D-vs-Canon_EOS_550D

We have 3 lenses for the 40d. Off the top of my head a cheap fish eye lens, the boxed one (30-85mm) and a (70-200mm).

550D is a serious consideration now thanks.

Good questions above.

Canon have an 'M' system which is smaller than a normal DSLR, but with a couple of lens options(not compatible with any existing EF/EF-S lenses you have.) Other manufacturers have similar things available too, can't comment on relative strengths on one vs another though.

This is a good site for tracking prices if you don't know it:

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

Added to my favourites ;)

She has to ask herself how much control of the picture taking process she wants, and whether features like weather sealing are important.

but most importantly, there is no point spending a lot of money on a body and putting entry-level glass on it.

And the second hand market has some very capable cameras.

I use photography in my work and I buy secondhand bodies but the best new glass.

She is bamboozled by the settings menu and options available to her on the 40d. That aside she takes excellent point and shoot photos (a natural eye maybe, mine turn out poor and I can't see my self doing anything out of the ordinary). Most photos she takes of friends and family are that good they want them printed/framed.

Canon EOS 7D body only for £8-900...?

Added to my favourites ;)

I dunno your shooting habits, but a friend recently bought the EF 40mm STM 'pancake' lens by Canon, which is extremely thin by normal lens standards, and at £130 or so, much cheaper than replacing the body. If you can live with the fixed focal length on the crop sensor of the 40D, it might be worth considering as it will reduce the bulk a lot. It's also a good lens, my friend uses it on a 5D mk III body, which cost a lot more than my car. That's a full frame camera though so the lens is a bit wider, on the 40D it will be equiv to 65mm or so on a full frame which you may find tight. You can always set with your current zoom to 40mm to see what you'd be getting.

I dunno your shooting habits, but a friend recently bought the EF 40mm STM 'pancake' lens by Canon, which is extremely thin by normal lens standards, and at £130 or so, much cheaper than replacing the body. If you can live with the fixed focal length on the crop sensor of the 40D, it might be worth considering as it will reduce the bulk a lot. It's also a good lens, my friend uses it on a 5D mk III body, which cost a lot more than my car. That's a full frame camera though so the lens is a bit wider, on the 40D it will be equiv to 65mm or so on a full frame which you may find tight. You can always set with your current zoom to 40mm to see what you'd be getting.

Stop right there!! I think we will give this a go first. 40d is still a great camera let down by bulk only.

She is bamboozled by the settings menu and options available to her on the 40d. That aside she takes excellent point and shoot photos (a natural eye maybe, mine turn out poor and I can't see my self doing anything out of the ordinary). Most photos she takes of friends and family are that good they want them printed/framed.

Canon EOS 7D body only for £8-900...?

In which case, do you really need the 'inconvenience' and size of a DSLR ?

Might be worth looking at something like a Panasonic Lumix, the DMC LF1 or the TZ40

In which case, do you really need the 'inconvenience' and size of a DSLR ?

Might be worth looking at something like a Panasonic Lumix, the DMC LF1 or the TZ40

Ok, you threw a curve ball... they look so good the further up the range and then we are in iPhone 5s territory and apparently that's where Apple have focused their attention this release. So going to be either a 16gb version + the 40mm pancake lens or the 64gb handset and no pancake lens unless I sell one of our galaxy s3s (or keep it as a spare for me).

Am I barking up the wrong tree here? :P

Nobody should take pictures of this century! It is not one you may want to remember! :(

Ok, you threw a curve ball... they look so good the further up the range and then we are in iPhone 5s territory and apparently that's where Apple have focused their attention this release. So going to be either a 16gb version + the 40mm pancake lens or the 64gb handset and no pancake lens unless I sell one of our galaxy s3s (or keep it as a spare for me).

Am I barking up the wrong tree here? :P

Well, I have an iphone 4 and I wouldn't use it as a camera, but i do take the occasional picture - but never a photograph,

The main advantages of a DSLR are the lenses, that you always get a viewfinder, and advanced fast focusing.

Panasonic Lumix have an excellent reputation and are equipped with Leica lenses.

I would only consider a compact that has a viewfinder.

Personally, if I bought a compact I would go for a fixed focal length - but they are rare and pricey.

I've got an older Eos450 which I'm thinking of replacing , either the 650 or the M series

You can get an adapter for the M to use the EOS lenses on it

Canon%20EOS%20M%20(White)%20Digital%20Camera%20with%2022mm%20Lens%20and%20Mount%20Adapter%20Kit.jpg

The size is appealing.

£486.73p

You are indeed a very precise person. :blink:

This has popped up on Amazon for what looks like a great price, excellent reviews as well.

Only downside is it may not be 'enough camera' to whet your appetite.

http://www.amazon.co...8VA2W/ref=nosim

http://www.hotukdeal...optical-1662744

For my first foray into the dslr market I bought a Nikon D3100 with the 18 - 55mm kit lens a few Months ago.

Excellent bit of kit far too many bells and whistles to learn it overnight but loads of tutorial videos available on u tube and places.

This has popped up on Amazon for what looks like a great price, excellent reviews as well.

Only downside is it may not be 'enough camera' to whet your appetite.

http://www.amazon.co...8VA2W/ref=nosim

http://www.hotukdeal...optical-1662744

For my first foray into the dslr market I bought a Nikon D3100 with the 18 - 55mm kit lens a few Months ago.

Excellent bit of kit far too many bells and whistles to learn it overnight but loads of tutorial videos available on u tube and places.

I've just ordered one of these as we have my soon to be sister-in-laws wedding coming up. Wife was clearly unimpressed with me trying to move her back to iOS after switchingher to Android not so long aago. See what she says when she gets back from Geneva tomorrow :)