House Price Crash Forum

The European Nightmare For Expats

I've been living and working in Spain for the last 13 years but moving on now. Cost of living has rocketed in the last few and tax changes mean I would be 300 euros amonth worse off if I stayed.

Had no problems here (renting) - been able to move when the neighbours got too noisy or the house got too damp ( big problem here).

It's been a good experience but it's definitely time to go.

Portugal is very interesting. Spent a couple of weeks there this year on a road trip. It is a country that has barely lifted itself out of what I would call the "peasants & fishermen" way of life. Even the major cities seem to have a rustic feel. You are correct in that the roads, particularly tolled motorways, are as good as empty. But then again, so are many of Spain's.

The good news is that the people are amazing and utterly enchanting, with values that would hark back to an earlier and less complicated way of life. They almost seem to prefer it.

The bad news is that I think they are heading that way. :(

I know it's a cliche, but you should have seen it twenty years ago.

I've been living and working in Spain for the last 13 years but moving on now. Cost of living has rocketed in the last few and tax changes mean I would be 300 euros amonth worse off if I stayed.

Had no problems here (renting) - been able to move when the neighbours got too noisy or the house got too damp ( big problem here).

It's been a good experience but it's definitely time to go.

The rain in Spain? :blink:

I've lived in different countries as an expat for 30 years.

I can honestly say, the overall cost of living is cheaper anywhere in Europe than in UK. Mostly down to accommodation costs . . . which is why we are all on this HPC (I) forum in the first place.

If you smoke or/and drink as well, then almost anywhere else in Europe is half price.

I've lived in different countries as an expat for 30 years.

I can honestly say, the overall cost of living is cheaper anywhere in Europe than in UK. Mostly down to accommodation costs . . . which is why we are all on this HPC (I) forum in the first place.

If you smoke or/and drink as well, then almost anywhere else in Europe is half price.

Accommodation costs vary a lot. Anywhere with good job opportunities is still expensive afaiks. My shoebox house near Chambery would sell for 400,000 euros. Ok this is the view outside my office window, which is nice

P1080169.JPG

I travel to Geneva, Turin, Milan, Munich a lot and all are expensive although Italy is coming off the boil outside the metropolitan areas. Paris is eye wateringly expensive to rent or buy and since the rent controls has become very difficult to rent a place with a move towards short term furnished lets which have pretty much the same structure as UK short term lettings. Drinking in France is ok if you buy it at the supermarket but expensive if you drink beer in bars. Taxes have risen a lot recently which have probably hit a lot of the fix income retired people hard.