House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Harry Monk

Esther Rantzen.

I remember Esther Rantzen presenting "That's Life!", championing the cause of consumers. Yet here she is, in a heavily air-brushed photo, prostituting herself in Thomson Local.

scan0012_zpsd91eebe4.jpg

Why would she do this? I can only presume that she is desperate for a few shekels but it's still a long way for a consumer champion to fall...

Carol Vorderman must win this particular category. Presumably used because she's supposed to be "clever" (although she can't even do long multiplication as this quite amusing clip shows, fast forward to 1:25 if you're in a hurry)

I was going to post some examples of her ads for crap things, but frankly there are too many.

Carol Vorderman must win this particular category. Presumably used because she's supposed to be "clever" (although she can't even do long multiplication as this quite amusing clip shows, fast forward to 1:25 if you're in a hurry)

That's a bit unfair. She was just taken by surprise... Funny clip though.

I don't get it either. Somebody like Parky must have at least a couple of mill in the bank, you would think.

Why tarnish his legacy by peddling coffin insurance right at the end?

Is he actually strapped for cash, I wonder? Fame doesn't always equal fortune.

Or perhaps he really does believe in 'leaving a valuable lump sum for children or grandchildren'. His.

I don't get it either. Somebody like Parky must have at least a couple of mill in the bank, you would think.

Why tarnish his legacy by peddling coffin insurance right at the end?

Is he actually strapped for cash, I wonder? Fame doesn't always equal fortune.

Or perhaps he really does believe in 'leaving a valuable lump sum for children or grandchildren'. His.

None of the above. As I said, he's simply a greedy old goat who can never have enough.

They all need to feel in the limelight and feel useful after a life of producing nothing of any real use. Ok Esther did a few good deeds but most media people like them just like the perceived adoration..and want to ingratiate themselves to an adoring public and make easy money to boot.

Parky has said he is money driven and negotiated hard on his beeb contracts so wouldn't need it. Just greedy.

I wouldn't have thought Esther was that loaded as That's Life was years ago and she's put loads of effort into Childline etc. which wouldn't have earned her anything. Probably needs the money.

Carol Vorderman will do anything for money and that clip is brilliant for showing up what true arithmetical talent is, though like Rachel Riley she was there for personality and looks with a reasonable arithmetic competency. She always seems a laugh and when she was talking about her early career she came across as a fairly bright hardworking person, destined for a normal career path, who got an incredibly lucky break when her mum sent in the Countdown application form.

Must say I absolutely loathe seeing him doing his cosy-chat bit, to get people with very likely not much money at all to shell out. Mind you I have not been able to stand him since seeing him asking Charlotte Church, when she was very young, no more than 16, about her sex life. You could see the poor girl curl up. It was vile and creepy.

I'm sorry to say that either presenters these days are a lot better than they were in the 70s or the powers of the likes of Esther Rantzen have declined with age. Janet Street Porter is another who was lauded as new and innovative in the 70s and now looks uncomfortable on the set.

There are a few exceptions, Shirley Williams was brilliant on Question Time last week. Neale , Boulton and Humphreys are still heavyweights despite their advancing years, but in the main presenters and commentators do not improve with age and it is not surprising they are scrapping about for other revenue potential.

Edit....Rantzen looking quite attractive here I thought and definitely with more confidence and poise than she showed later in her career.

Must say I absolutely loathe seeing him doing his cosy-chat bit, to get people with very likely not much money at all to shell out. Mind you I have not been able to stand him since seeing him asking Charlotte Church, when she was very young, no more than 16, about her sex life. You could see the poor girl curl up. It was vile and creepy.

He's always been like that. There's a brilliant clip of a 70s interview with Helen Mirren where she puts him in his place.

He's always been like that. There's a brilliant clip of a 70s interview with Helen Mirren where she puts him in his place.

Sometimes Parkinson wanted to put big stars in their place. His duffing up of John Wayne ( despite Waynes rather right wing views) went too far and was an embarrassment for the viewer. Remember Wayne was the then biggest film star in the world and in declining health and demanded a bit more respect. Parkinson even at one point had the temerity to ask Wayne if he was getting bored with the interview, basically Wayne was looking down in embarrassment at Parkinson's persistent nastiness (unfortunately I can't get a link to that part of the interview)

Wayne was brilliantly courteous throughout and you just have to be glad that he hadn't got the short fuse of Godfrey Bloom, because rude doesn't even start to cover Parkinson's behaviour that evening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFScHRfNrLo

Ali was interviewed by Parkinson several times, and now look at him.

You mean it's catching? :o

For me the best interviewers were Mavis Nicholson and Terry Wogan in that order, Parky was ok but (like a lot of the BBC at that time) just got lucky by falling into a monopoly position. He got all the big stars because of his prime time slot and the fact that he was a reasonable if not great interviewer.

How old was Helen Mirren, though? A bit more than 16, I bet. In fact CC could have been even younger than that.

Disgusting old goat.

parky was a great interviewer. you can't take that away from him.

perspective for anybody who thinks otherwise, 2 words:

Jonathon Ross.

JR's perfectly good in this own way, like Graham Norton and Alan Carr they get somebody on and perform a comedy act with their guest at the middle of it and perfectly at ease. It's got to be the right sort of guest though.

Guest eight

Edit....Rantzen looking quite attractive here I thought and definitely with more confidence and poise than she showed later in her career.

Years of getting your every twitch analysed by Desmond Morris wouldn't do much for anybody's confidence.

As for Parky, given his employment history I'm surprised he hasn't been mentioned in, ahem, other discussions.

Guest eight

I would never say he wasn't a good interviewer. He was, with adults who could hold their own, or who maybe deserved a bit of cut and thrust.

it's that he was also vile and creepy to start talking sex to a vey young girl when he was easily old enough to be her grandfather. I suppose he still fancied himself too much to imagine that it would be offensive. Pretty typical of lecherous old goats who still fancy themselves rotten and don't realise how they make girls cringe.

Heh, that's me in ten year's time now, probably, that you're disparaging there!

JR's perfectly good in this own way, like Graham Norton and Alan Carr they get somebody on and perform a comedy act with their guest at the middle of it and perfectly at ease. It's got to be the right sort of guest though.

TV for morons.

here's a reminder of when some intelligence was assumed on the part of the viewer (even in prime-time):