House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ucantgorongwbricknnmorta

£200 Holding Fee

I viewed a small house recently. Made an offer that was accepted to rent it for £775 pcm. Six month only let.

Letting Agent put massive pressure on me to pay a £200 holding deposit. I was reluctant, but caved in to the pressure. Only to find a one week time limit slapped on me to get the voluminous referencing list imposed on me completed within a week, or I lose my money.

I would appreciate some advice, as I'm not sure I can comply with this most unexpected and unfair requirement.

I viewed a small house recently. Made an offer that was accepted to rent it for £775 pcm. Six month only let.

Letting Agent put massive pressure on me to pay a £200 holding deposit. I was reluctant, but caved in to the pressure. Only to find a one week time limit slapped on me to get the voluminous referencing list imposed on me completed within a week, or I lose my money.

I would appreciate some advice, as I'm not sure I can comply with this most unexpected and unfair requirement.

Then they will probably let the flat to someone else, £200 is about a weeks rent, which is why they won't hold it indefinitely for such a small deposit.

*IF* you don't get the property and are prepared to go to court, you'll get the £200 back - else they won't pay it back short of a court order.

It is refundable - the conditions they imposed can't be added AFTER paying them.

Presumably if you do take the property it is set against the first months rent (Again, if not, and you are prepared to go to court, then you'll get it back)

Um, surely the references just mean filling a form to tell them who your references are, and giving permission for your bank to disclose relevant information? After that, the ball's in their court.