House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Si1

Passata Vs Tinned Tomatoes

Tins are lined with plastic stuff (BPA I think it's called) that paranoid people worry can cause mutations and death. Passata is available in glass jars which are safe.

Tinned toms (when they're not in season).

Although this is in part because I have most of the EU tinned toms mountain stashed in my basement due to a tremendous loss-leader offer at ASDA a while back.

Slow sauce = cooked down tinned toms

Quick sauce = passata

You're welcome.

Seems reasonable. Although time and gentle cooking is the friend of many a tomato-based sauce if you don't want it to simply taste like hot tomatoes.

Other people have said it, but passata often comes out as too rich. OTOH, you can look upon passata as tomato concentrate, dilute it with water and cook in much the same way as tinned toms. I've not done any sort of comparison but as own-brand tins are dirt cheap and passata is normally sold as premium, my guess is that the tins work out cheaper if less dense even if you are transporting a bit more water from supermarket to home each time.

Guest eight

Seems reasonable. Although time and gentle cooking is the friend of many a tomato-based sauce if you don't want it to simply taste like hot tomatoes.

Other people have said it, but passata often comes out as too rich. OTOH, you can look upon passata as tomato concentrate, dilute it with water and cook in much the same way as tinned toms. I've not done any sort of comparison but as own-brand tins are dirt cheap and passata is normally sold as premium, my guess is that the tins work out cheaper if less dense even if you are transporting a bit more water from supermarket to home each time.

?

I frequently use both in the same dish. Chopped toms for body and passata for bulk, if you like. Or is it the other way round? Occasionally I will take the stick blender to a tin of plum tomatoes to create a sort of half way house between the two.

A level teaspoonful of brown sugar and a pinch of Marigold vegetable boullion sees off any overpowering tomato or tinny taste, I find.

It won't taste like tomatoes if you add other ingredients to it ;)

A quick sauce made by sautéing onions garlic carrots and celery until soft with some salt/pepper, dried herbs and a few bay leaves, then adding red wine and passata, simmering gently for 10 minutes and then blending (bay leaves removed) will give you a quick pasta sauce that tastes wonderful (great sauce for meatballs!). Passata only really tastes too rich if you do a long simmer where it reduces and thickens and ends up very concentrated. Hence my recommendation that long sauces should be made with loads of tinned toms and little or no tom puree/passata added.

Tinned toms are much more watery than passata, hence you need to cook all the extra water out to achieve any depth of flavour.

It won't taste like tomatoes if you add other ingredients to it ;)

A quick sauce made by sautéing onions garlic carrots and celery until soft with some salt/pepper, dried herbs and a few bay leaves, then adding red wine and passata, simmering gently for 10 minutes and then blending (bay leaves removed) will give you a quick pasta sauce that tastes wonderful (great sauce for meatballs!). Passata only really tastes too rich if you do a long simmer where it reduces and thickens and ends up very concentrated. Hence my recommendation that long sauces should be made with loads of tinned toms and little or no tom puree/passata added.

Tinned toms are much more watery than passata, hence you need to cook all the extra water out to achieve any depth of flavour.

So you're making a ragu-style sauce and only cooking it for 10 minutes? Whatevah.

well, tinned or fresh tomatoes do need cooking through fully to avoid just tasting of uncooked tomatoes, nothing to do with reduction. as to passata I have little experience of it

Feeling really lazy tonight, I thought I'd just bung some tomato ketchup on pasta and call it supper.

Utterly, utterly revolting.

Not that I can think of a good use for COTS tomato ketchup anyway. Fish fingers, mash and peas - and other nursery food, perhaps.