House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

Milliband Promises To Help With The Cost Of Living....

http://news.sky.com/story/1144687/labour-pledge-to-tackle-cost-of-living-crisis

" he said if in power Labour would strengthen the national minimum wage and provide "childcare for parents who need it"."

"He also confirmed his promise to abolish the "bedroom tax" cut to housing benefit, and pledged an "economy that works for working people"."

That's his big plan....give away more money....either borrowed or taken from the ral tax payers no doubt.

How about cutting taxes on fuel, with drawing support for the banks, making real cut backs in public spending etc etc etc.

W****R

How about a house price crash, to make things more affordable?

Don't know how they get away with all these 'easy' solution giveaways, that someone else has to pay for. Yeah Labour and now Conservatives nannying everyone as that's their job.

More minimum wage 'for the good of the needy', costing jobs, that since its introduction has allowed middle and senior management to give themselves huge pay-rises.

When Spain recently looking at suspending minimum wage to help with flexibility of its workforce and improve employment, away from benefits.

Milliband Promises To Help With The Cost Of Living..

Yep , he said if he wins the election he'll send every family in the UK a tenner and and give up one evening a week to help at his local food bank.

Same old Sh.. different day. The minimum wage fails so they want a living wage. The living wage will fail so they'll want a 'fair wage' or somesuch.

Instead of trying to push on a piece of string, why not actually look at whats driving inflation. Like, oh, I dont know, credit continually being expanded far beyond growth rates.

The only way he could help everyone is by ordering the BOE not to print any more money ever under no circumstances. GBP would strengthen lowering import costs and everyone in the UK's cost of living goes down.

Really simple.

" he said if in power Labour would strengthen the national minimum wage and provide "childcare for parents who need it"."

"He also confirmed his promise to abolish the "bedroom tax" cut to housing benefit, and pledged an "economy that works for working people"."

That's his big plan....give away more money....either borrowed or taken from the ral tax payers no doubt.

How about cutting taxes on fuel, with drawing support for the banks, making real cut backs in public spending etc etc etc.

W****R

..the guy needs a brain transplant...does he not realise the taxpayers are demanding accountability for their hard earned money which enables them to pay tax....and our friend 'Millie' as a useless politician (some contribute) is merely a wasted cost and should have no say.... :rolleyes:

If shopping centres/malls today are anything to go by then most people seem to have bought into "the economy is recovering and there's another boom".

They were absolutely rammed. Hardly a parking space and that's been quite a sudden transition. A variety of age groups but lots of youngsters with kids so maybe that's a factor.

By the look of things most don't need any help at all with the cost of living - so far as mall shopping is concerned. Although of course for sure most of any age won't refuse any free hand-outs or any bribes for votes.

Edited by billybong

"We think that can create up to 125,000 new apprenticeships over the course of five years and that is a massive boost for skills for our young people."

So that's about 25,000 per year - and that's a "massive" boost? :rolleyes: . Sounds like he doesn't know the meaning of the word.

Apart from that apparently last year the numbers of new settlers from overseas were in the several hundreds of thousands so really 25,000 new "apprenticeships" each year is neither here nor there.

It's an irrelevance.

Switch the two numbers around and that might be a start - just a start.

Edited by billybong

So that's about 25,000 per year - and that's a "massive" boost? :rolleyes: . Sounds like he doesn't know the meaning of the word.

Apart from that apparently last year the numbers of new settlers from overseas were in the several hundreds of thousands so really 25,000 new "apprenticeships" each year is neither here nor there.

And that's before you ask how he's actually going to create these apprenticeships.

Is he planning on jumping up and down and shouting a bit? Has he got a magic wand? Is he going to put public money into this? Has he even thought about how he's going to achieve this?

Meanwhile the BBC is reporting this as the work of a supreme genius, Biased Broadcasting Corporation at its worst.

Edited by Goat

If shopping centres/malls today are anything to go by then most people seem to have bought into "the economy is recovering and there's another boom".

They were absolutely rammed. Hardly a parking space and that's been quite a sudden transition. A variety of age groups but lots of youngsters with kids so maybe that's a factor.

By the look of things most don't need any help at all with the cost of living - so far as mall shopping is concerned. Although of course for sure most of any age won't refuse any free hand-outs or any bribes for votes.

IMO this inference is off the money. I grew up in the London suburbs. The High Street had more than one shoe shop. When taken shoe shopping as a kid, we went to the High Street. There are no shoe shops on that High Street and no shoe shops in the town where I now live which is a county town just outside the M25. If I want new shoes for work, I have to drive to the nearest shopping centre that actually has a shop that sells shoes. The busyness of shopping centres is IMO a corollary of the decimation of the decimation of the High Street. To infer that Joe Schmoe has money to burn from the fact that a retail centre is crowded is IMO an error.

People don't "buy into booms", changes in the availability of credit lead to booms. The fact that we have ZIRP and Help to Buy and can still only muster circa 1% annual HPI on the Land Registry shows that the promise of a "return to normal" is an ambiguous offer of salvation. To quote Bruce Cockburn, "

".

I remain a Labour Party member, (though I'm no longer sure why). For me the hope remains that there is, for humans, a balance to be struck between the benefits of competition and the benefits of cooperation, but more and more I am coming to feel that the only game in town is not the individual's perspective regarding how we should best construct political and economic structures in order to make our way to a land of milk and honey, but rather how best to negotiate structures that had been bedding down for centuries before we showed up, (by which mostly I mean the problems that arise when almost all our money is broad money).

Another poster, (H/T whoever is was), introduced to me the choice phrase that politics is not about solving problems, it is about picking winners. It may be even worse than that, as the actions taken with the intention of selecting one group of winners may inadvertently direct the winnings elsewhere. I doubt that many people who voted for Blair/Brown were guided by the hope that shortly afterwards we'd have more than 10% of UK mortgages being BTL and something like 20%-30% of owner-occupiers renting from the bank forever on IO, but that's where they took us.

Until we find the genuine crisis that we're moving towards, we'll get nothing but politicians of the calibre of Milliband, Clegg and Cameron to sleepwalk us into the grim future. Same as it ever was. Hey ho.

http://news.sky.com/...f-living-crisis

W****R

Exactly - he will use fiscal policy to drive inflation at the expense of wage earners.

The Labour label is a perversion.

I remain a Labour Party member, (though I'm no longer sure why).

So you voted for Brown at some point?

I respect your engagement. But no, not really. Frankly - what the ****** were you thinking?

They got us into this mess and are going to make sure we cant get out of it. More cash to kill off the incentive to work or enhance your skills.

W****R

Ok so if the quote is correct he has not said they will raise the minimum wage just strengthen it whatever that means. I am not sure what an economy that works for working people means.

Where's the strategy?

So you voted for Brown at some point?

I respect your engagement. But no, not really. Frankly - what the ****** were you thinking?

Even worse some of us voted for Thatcher. What a con that was! :o

I can kind of see what Miliband is trying to do but any gains for the lower paid workers, well any kind of workers whether it be a living wage or whatever, will just be stolen by the rentier/CEO/1% class.

Edited by aSecureTenant

Same old Sh.. different day. The minimum wage fails so they want a living wage. The living wage will fail so they'll want a 'fair wage' or somesuch.

Instead of trying to push on a piece of string, why not actually look at whats driving inflation. Like, oh, I dont know, credit continually being expanded far beyond growth rates.

Pushing a piece of string? Isn't hat like creating continually expanding debt to replace non existent trickle down?

Guest eight

I remain a Labour Party member, (though I'm no longer sure why).

That's some admission to make here. Only the fact that my respect for you as a poster is undentable allows my respect for you as a poster to remain undented....

One thing though. I never understand why people actually join political parties. Isn't your vote sufficient?

Guest eight

How about a house price crash, to make things more affordable?

Sounds admirable, but it's not a panacea. We paid barely anything for our house, by today's standards. But there are plenty of other bills too you know, and none of them are going away.

Probably only massive wage inflation can save us (the collective us, I mean) now. Otherwise it's fast forward back to the 1800's, but with Facebook, for most of the populous.

Even worse some of us voted for Thatcher. What a con that was! :o

I can kind of see what Miliband is trying to do but any gains for the lower paid workers, well any kind of workers whether it be a living wage or whatever, will just be stolen by the rentier/CEO/1% class.

Isn't what the philanthropists of the 19th Century realised? You pay your workers a couple of shillings extra a week and the price of their slum goes up by... a couple of shillings. So they built villages for their workers.

This country made so much progress post WW2 but I cannot believe how quickly we're heading back to the 19th Century now.