House Price Crash Forum

Usaf Nearly Nuked North Carolina In 1961

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24183541

this happened a few days after JFK's inauguration. After a B52 broke-up in mid-air over N. Carolina, a 4MT H-bomb deployed fully armed and only one of the six arming devices on the device prevented detonation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961_Goldsboro_B-52_crash

i wonder how would the world be now if it had gone off? how would it have been spun? what would JFK's response have been?

HOLA442

Fascinating story - lots about it on-line.

If it had gone off it would have killed million instantly and countless tens of millions more would have died of radiation or have suffered from it for decades afterwards. The ensuing radioactive cloud, after taking out several major US cities, would have travelled over to good old Blightly most likely. Some of us most likey would never have been born - or survived.

Interesting stories about how the bombs were released. Offically the B-52 broke up but eye witnesses say that they saw it crashing intact. We are told that something happened to release the bombs but what something - electrical or g-force - is a tad vague.

Did the crew of a crashing B-52 decide it was the safer option to drop the nukes rather than to crash the nukes? If so, what a decision to have to make in a matter of moments.

Not all the crew survived. Two died inside the aircraft - presumably they could not eject or the ejection failed. Another crew member died after ejected. This crash resulted in the only time a pilot has escaped out of the top hatch of a B-52 maually.

The chaps brought in to recover and make safe the nukes must have had an interest time when they realised that just one fail-safe was standing between them and the nuke exploding. Technically, in theory, anything could have triggered that last fail-safe - something metallic such as a wrist-watch or a metal tool, something electrical or just one more thud.

I suspect that they had a few beers after making that nuke safe.

I think they found the plutonium but that the uranium went down so far into the ground that they never recovered it.

HOLA443
HOLA444

i wonder how would the world be now if it had gone off? how would it have been spun? what would JFK's response have been?

Millions would have died instantly and millions more dead within weeks. Survivors would have had elevated rates of cancers and other illnesses.

In a country as vast as the US would there have been collapse. The industrial and economic areas of the US would have been hugely affected. There was no Silicon Valley back then and, over on the West Coast, the only real industry was Boeing up in Washington State and oil in Texas. All the major financial and industrial economic drivers of the US were mainly in the East back then.

Would people have tried to move West? Would there be attempts to stop them? Would there be enough people to stop them bearing in mind the vast size of the US.

Simply, would law and order have broken down? What was it - around 250 times the blast of the Japan WW2 bombs?

HOLA445

Odd timing for this news, for me, anyway, as only a few days ago distraction-upon-distraction-hopping pages in Wiki, I was reading all about B52 accidents. Amazing to think that the B-52, the last of which was built in the early 1960's, will still be in service in the 2040's.

There was another important B-52 accident - involving three atromic bombs of a different type in Spain in 1966.. On two of the bombs, the conventional explosives actually detonated.

Reading about the Carolina accident, I wonder just how close the Spanish bombs were to detonating a nuclear explosion, too. Perhaps more will be revealed when and if papers relating to the Spanish incident are declassified.

HOLA446
HOLA447

You forget, back then, they still made cars in Dallas.

Did they? What make? Just curious.

Thinking about it the Mississipi probably would have become a dividing line between East and West.

I suppose people would have had to try and get on with this lives and hope not to be taken ill or die. Doesn't bear thinking about.

HOLA448

If it had gone off it would have killed million instantly and countless tens of millions more would have died of radiation or have suffered from it for decades afterwards. The ensuing radioactive cloud, after taking out several major US cities, would have travelled over to good old Blightly most likely. Some of us most likey would never have been born - or survived.

Interesting stories about how the bombs were released. Offically the B-52 broke up but eye witnesses say that they saw it crashing intact. We are told that something happened to release the bombs but what something - electrical or g-force - is a tad vague.

Did the crew of a crashing B-52 decide it was the safer option to drop the nukes rather than to crash the nukes? If so, what a decision to have to make in a matter of moments.

Not all the crew survived. Two died inside the aircraft - presumably they could not eject or the ejection failed. Another crew member died after ejected. This crash resulted in the only time a pilot has escaped out of the top hatch of a B-52 maually.

The chaps brought in to recover and make safe the nukes must have had an interest time when they realised that just one fail-safe was standing between them and the nuke exploding. Technically, in theory, anything could have triggered that last fail-safe - something metallic such as a wrist-watch or a metal tool, something electrical or just one more thud.

I suspect that they had a few beers after making that nuke safe.

I think they found the plutonium but that the uranium went down so far into the ground that they never recovered it.

so, 1 bomb is proposed to have taken out the entire economy...BS methinks when they have 10,000 to deter the Ruskiis.

and 250 times the power doesnt mean 250 times the killing area....I think 10KM radius for the initial kill circle for people exposed and blasted shortly after...15km for serious stuctural damage.

pretty nasty.

HOLA449

so, 1 bomb is proposed to have taken out the entire economy...BS methinks when they have 10,000 to deter the Ruskiis.

and 205 the power doesnt mean 250 times the killing area....I think 10KM radius for the initial kill circle for people exposed and blasted shortly after...15km for serious stuctural damage.

pretty nasty.

The radition from that type of bomb was the problem... after it had killed a few million people first of course... as the cloud would have been massive and the location of the explosion would have taken the cloub up and along the East side of the US. Major population and industrial areas.

The blast radius would have been about 17 to 20 miles. So that is, what, exploding in Swindon and taking out Bristol, Reading, etc.

HOLA4410

Millions would have died instantly and millions more dead within weeks. Survivors would have had elevated rates of cancers and other illnesses.

Nukemap

Nukemap suggests roughly 50,000 killed and 250,000 injured. The area is relatively sparsely populated so there just aren't that many people to kill.

The same device dropped on london would kill 2,500,000+.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Nukes are not *quite* that bad.. or the airborne tests of the 1950s would have wiped out half the planet..

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived