House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Errol

Iphone 5 - There Is No Hope For America

Performance art.

And this was the 5. The 5 is ancient now. It's all about the 5S now. You need the 5S. In gold.

Presenting the iPhone 5nSa...

Performance art.

And this was the 5. The 5 is ancient now. It's all about the 5S now. You need the 5S. In gold.

http://news.sky.com/story/1144613/apple-iphone-fights-as-homeless-hired-to-queue

Planned obsolescence.

That's why apple makes so much money and blackberry are bust. Blackberrys last forever. iPhones need replacing every year or two and if you want the latest features you need to replace it every 6 months!

****** apple. I'm never buying an iPhone again. Wish I never had in the first place. Cheaply made rubbish.

Sony have the right idea. I bought a PS3 6 years ago. It's still works great. And when 3D technology came it it updated itself to become a 3D bluray player. Excellent.

Planned obsolescence.

That's why apple makes so much money and blackberry are bust. Blackberrys last forever. iPhones need replacing every year or two and if you want the latest features you need to replace it every 6 months!

****** apple. I'm never buying an iPhone again. Wish I never had in the first place. Cheaply made rubbish.

Sony have the right idea. I bought a PS3 6 years ago. It's still works great. And when 3D technology came it it updated itself to become a 3D bluray player. Excellent.

Well, duh, if you want the latest must-have feature then you're going to have to buy a new phone. I'm pretty sure that Blackberry aren't rolling out fingerprint recognition in a (free) software update to all their existing phones. Your criticism of Apple could equally be directed at Blackberry, Samsung, HTC, and all the others.

Planned obsolescence.

I don't use an iPhone anymore but I'm not sure all of this is entirely fair. Apple upgrades phones every year not six months and they tend to support them with OS upgrades for two to three years at least. My own original iPhone is still going, around five years later .

Well, duh, if you want the latest must-have feature then you're going to have to buy a new phone. I'm pretty sure that Blackberry aren't rolling out fingerprint recognition in a (free) software update to all their existing phones. Your criticism of Apple could equally be directed at Blackberry, Samsung, HTC, and all the others.

I don't want the latest features, I want a phone that lasts. iPhones don't.

I have a friend who is using a blackberry from 5 years ago with no problems and has no plans to replace it.

iPhones aren't designed to last. I've never had one last more than a year. I got a new iPhone a few months ago and already the touch screen is starting to fail!

I don't use an iPhone anymore but I'm not sure all of this is entirely fair. Apple upgrades phones every year not six months and they tend to support them with OS upgrades for two to three years at least. My own original iPhone is still going, around five years later .

So why don't you use it? My 3GS pretty much slowed down to the point of being unusable when updating to the then latest software.

A quick google shows I'm not the only one with this view of apple.

And let's not forget that if you want to keep the phone you've got and not upgrade, Apple's history is to force customers to use newer firmware releases to fix security problems. The "unfortunate" side effect of these software updates is that they make the phones slower, so that your end users will want the organization to buy them new devices. Eventually, of course, Apple stops supporting the old phone altogether, so that your organization must buy new ones.

Is innovation really supposed to work like this? I don't think so. Here's how it's supposed to work: Supplier comes up with compelling value proposition for buyer. Buyer gladly parts with cash so that buyer can benefit from innovation. This planned obsolescence thing is simply a message that not only will you buy the BMW of smartphones, but you will replace it on Apple's schedule, not yours.

http://www.informationweek.com/global-cio/interviews/apples-planned-obsolescence-customer-rev/240002583?nomobile=1

So why don't you use it? My 3GS pretty much slowed down to the point of being unusable when updating to the then latest software.

Dunno about that. I've got a 3GS which is still going ok - just for light social use though. Wouldn't mind a new 5S, although as always its down the spending priority list...

I don't want the latest features, I want a phone that lasts. iPhones don't.

I have a friend who is using a blackberry from 5 years ago with no problems and has no plans to replace it.

iPhones aren't designed to last. I've never had one last more than a year. I got a new iPhone a few months ago and already the touch screen is starting to fail!

Not sure if iPhones are designed to fail early - but just yesterday I parcelforced a 8 year old mac mini to an ebay purchaser. I still have an iPod that's roughly a decade old and works fine. My Macbook pro is 4 years old and I'm typing on it right now. So apple gear is well built in my experience. Maybe you're just very unlucky, or maybe I'm just very lucky.

Not sure if iPhones are designed to fail early - but just yesterday I parcelforced a 8 year old mac mini to an ebay purchaser. I still have an iPod that's roughly a decade old and works fine. My Macbook pro is 4 years old and I'm typing on it right now. So apple gear is well built in my experience. Maybe you're just very unlucky, or maybe I'm just very lucky.

My 3GS still works perfectly. Better than my brand new Windows phone. Mind you that was only £109. But it is a lot newer.

The buttons on it are all close to failure though. The off button doesn't work at all and the big one on the front needs a good hard shove as the microswitch (?) has worn out. Thanks to there being only one button on the thing that you use for everything.

But then it was second hand and I guess it's quite old now. I want another one, but I won't pay the money for it (£340 for a 4S model).

At the time of writing this, 4 of the 10 most read articles on the Telegraph site are about iPhones with "IOS7: Find the hidden features" at #1. Toys for adults eh? :)

My brother says I'm just unlucky as he has had only one issue with one phone and it remained usable.

My wife has had problems with hers too though. The main one being you can't talk on the phone for more than 7 or 8 minutes before it turns itself off. Saves on the phone bill at least.

Maybe we are just unlucky but I'm not willing to take the risk again considering the they cost the best part of £500 I expect much much better. Going to try a Samsung galaxy next year when my contract is up as a friend swears by them. .

My old Nokia was put under a bus to test its durability - it still worked. Impressive stuff.

Maybe we are just unlucky but I'm not willing to take the risk again considering the they cost the best part of £500 I expect much much better. Going to try a Samsung galaxy next year when my contract is up as a friend swears by them. .

Funnily enough my S3 randomly turns itself off and needs the battery taken out and put back in to restart. Has done since new. It doesn't do it often enough to make being without it for ages worthwhile so I haven't swapped it.

It's due an accident soon when the insurance expires anyway.

Edit: Still think it's a great phone. Had an iPhone 3GS before which I also liked, but Apple can take their iTunes this and App store that and shove it.

I've just got the new Samsung Galaxy S4. Brilliant.

I also think iTunes can shove it up there. My iPhone owning mates tell me that they use iTunes because Spotify doesn't have all the music they want to listen to. I do a demo on my Samsung showing them Spotify has everything they want to listen to, just not on Apple products because Apple block loads of music to give the illusion iTunes is somehow better. It's like some weird cult where I try to show them the way out.