House Price Crash Forum

Hong Kong Braced For 'strongest Storm On Earth' As 180Mph Monster Super-Typhoon Usagi Gains Strength Over The Pacific

interestrateripoff

HOLA441

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/hong-kong-braced-for-strongest-storm-on-earth-as-180mph-monster-supertyphoon-usagi-gains-strength-over-the-pacific-8829408.html

A monster Super Typhoon has intensified explosively in the last 24 hours and remains on track to wreak havoc in Taiwan, the Philippines and potentially Hong Kong over the weekend.

Over the last day Super Typhoon Usagi, which is now the strongest storm to form on earth this year, has seen winds increase from 75mph on Tuesday to over 160 mph today. The cyclone is now classified now as a Super Typhoon and is considered the equivalent of a category 5 hurricane.

The storm, which is expected to maintain its current strength for at least the next 24 hours, is on course to dump 1000mm of rain (three times the annual London rainfall) on Taiwan over the next three days.

1m of rain is that a typo? :o

I'm quite glad I'm no where near this!

HOLA442

There have been some freak sea temperatures in the region recently.. Huge rainfall and big typhoons are the result.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Can you imagine knowing that is coming? Doesn't bear thinking about it.

The BBC would have a weather orgasm and explode collectively.

Well, I am sitting right in the path of this one. MIght be a bit of a downer Sunday night if it hits head on. We have a safe room identified already and supplies prepared.

Funny thing is, I feel less worried here than if I was sitting in London. I know that the government reaction afterwards in terms of cleanup/assistance will be excellent, as it was last time. There will also be no public disorder affecting civilians.

That said, if I don't post again after Sunday, you know I've been sucked off - and not in a nice way.

Edit: looks like it's been downgraded just to a Typhoon for when it gets here now. No worries.

excellent government typhoon tracker

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

White horses in the harbour now - level 8 warning due to be hoisted at about 7pm. Should be fine though, it's been downgraded to a Severe Typhoon only. :blink:

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

What's happening?

Nothing much here. It's gone north of HK by about 100k so the winds will be coming from the NW, sheltering much of HK and kowloon. Guangzhou might get smashed worse tomorrow. Probably winds hitting 90-100km here, but thats all. I'm not worried now it's gone north - its when they stay to the south of the island they smash the town properly. I can hear it bashing at the building, but not badly yet.

That said, the tidal surge will be about a meter and rainfall in buckets, so not much fun for anyone in low lying areas. I'm expecting not much sleep tonight, but that's all.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

all over bar the shouting - veered off and largely missed us. 2m swell in some bits of the harbour, buckets of rain, but no worries.

off to work we go........

Archived