House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Chillis..

I've cropped 250g of chillis from my cayenne plants. Some more left on but thought I'd better pick these before they fall off...

Was thinking about pickling some... or making a chutney... or ...

I don't know...

What have you done with them?

I could just freeze them but I'd like to do something else with them too.

I've cropped 250g of chillis from my cayenne plants. Some more left on but thought I'd better pick these before they fall off...

I don't know...

Go hand them out to all the ladies who are 9 months pregnant in your local hospital.

I don't know...

Well, if you need a good home for them, I can always use more ;)

Right now it's the first 'big' soup of the autumn. Gotta big butternut squash in the kitchen destined to be the bulk, but chilli is high on the list of ingredients that'll give it flavour.

I don't get why active people eat them, they're part of the nightshade family right? Can't be doing any good if your moving your joints around on a daily basis. Theres no cure for inflammatory conditions like arthritis yet is there? I thought their only use was in powdered form either to mix with a topical gel/oil to apply for fat burning or with warm water for a heart attack.

Dry them out and put them in a jar for use all year.

This is what I'm doing.

Was going to pickle some but CBA.

Did put 2 in a small pan of chutney I was making though. That tastes really good already! :)

I don't know...

Feeding them to small children or pets can be most amusing.

XYY

I've been told that..

don't have red peppers in or pectin though.

For some easy meals in the winter, you could grind some up with lemongrass, garlic, galengal etc for a nice thai curry paste. It freezes fine.

Make chilli flakes ? Very useful and last for ever. No idea how to though. Chop up and leave on a window sill to dry out perhaps ?

Can you make chilli vodka?

You can indeed! I have one once - blew my head off! And I like chillis a lot (have a bottle of dave's ghost pepper sauce and 100% PAIN on the shelves at home but that vodka was something else!)

Make chilli flakes ? Very useful and last for ever. No idea how to though. Chop up and leave on a window sill to dry out perhaps ?

I had a glut one year - froze a lot - they go mushy on defrost, but are fine in a chilli con carne. I also pickled some - worked well, but pickled chillis are dirt cheap to buy around here. I did try the vodka too - just the one de cayenne chilli in a half bottle. Fair blew my head off :o

Its a shame they all ripen at once cos its fresh chillis that cost. :(

Have put some in vodka.

Have also put some honey in vodka. Now that was delicious!

Don't make any chilli oil.

I did this once for Christmas presents for friends and family, and was later told that this is quite risky due to the danger of botulism growth.

Didn't tell any of the recipients that though, obviously.

Don't make any chilli oil.

I did this once for Christmas presents for friends and family, and was later told that this is quite risky due to the danger of botulism growth.

Didn't tell any of the recipients that though, obviously.

I read that after I started researching the way to make it. So I haven't.

I make it from time to time, but always for immediate consumption. Anything I should know?

Yes, you're probably going to die soon.

Only joking. It's probably heavily over-precautionary, but if there were botulism on the peppers (must be a known risk) then oil is a good growth medium, and so could potentially lead to unsafe levels. And botulism isn't very pleasant, apparently.

DYOR, YMMV etc etc.

Yes, you're probably going to die soon.

Only joking. It's probably heavily over-precautionary, but if there were botulism on the peppers (must be a known risk) then oil is a good growth medium, and so could potentially lead to unsafe levels. And botulism isn't very pleasant, apparently.

DYOR, YMMV etc etc.

Marinade them in Dettol first,

I usually put a "Scotch Bonnet" or two into pickled onions! Gives them a bite!

When "pickled onion season" is over, I insert them in my rectum, and book a doctor's appointment! :lol: