House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Smoking Ban In Prisons - Good, But...

It seems daft that is still allowed given that law-abiding citizens can't smoke in pubs, and bringing it in seems overdue.

However as prisons seem entirely unable to control the free movement of illegal drugs (about five years ago somebody walked out of an open prison because he'd given up heroin but found himself surrounded by it in that prison) then shouldn't they be sorting that one out first?

You can see the enforcing being like school:

"I can smell smoke, have you been smoking Jenkins?"

"Not me, sir."

"I cna smell it on you, look there's a butt on the floor."

"Not mine sir"

etc.

etc.

However as prisons seem entirely unable to control the free movement of illegal drugs (about five years ago somebody walked out of an open prison because he'd given up heroin but found himself surrounded by it in that prison) then shouldn't they be sorting that one out first?

Just as an aside from the topic of this thread (cigs in gaol), a comment on the above.

I've met more than one remand prisoner who I saw inside (to assess for the purposes of preparing a medical report for the Court) who's asked me to write a report increasing their chances of a non-custodial sentence so they can get out and away from the drugs...

The main reason that free movement of illegal drugs into prisons isn't controlled is that there is absolutely no will to do so whatsoever. A prison wing with the smell of cannabis in the air, full of dozing junkies is a quiet ship, easier for the prison officers to control. Makes for a quieter shift. They're not going to do anything that makes their job harder, so drugs are allowed in freely.

Just as an aside from the topic of this thread (cigs in gaol), a comment on the above.

I've met more than one remand prisoner who I saw inside (to assess for the purposes of preparing a medical report for the Court) who's asked me to write a report increasing their chances of a non-custodial sentence so they can get out and away from the drugs...

The main reason that free movement of illegal drugs into prisons isn't controlled is that there is absolutely no will to do so whatsoever. A prison wing with the smell of cannabis in the air, full of dozing junkies is a quiet ship, easier for the prison officers to control. Makes for a quieter shift. They're not going to do anything that makes their job harder, so drugs are allowed in freely.

I had no idea it was that bad.

Drugs addiction is a major cause of crime.

That said, I would decriminalise drug possession and bring in life sentences for dealers, and make the drugs free to registered addicts through the NHS. Something similar apparently works in Portugal.

It seems daft that is still allowed given that law-abiding citizens can't smoke in pubs, and bringing it in seems overdue.

You can see the enforcing being like school:

"I can smell smoke, have you been smoking Jenkins?"

"Not me, sir."

"I cna smell it on you, look there's a butt on the floor."

"Not mine sir"

etc.

One day sir, we shall meet! You will have to address me as "Headmaster" however! ;)

etc.

That said, I would decriminalise drug possession and bring in life sentences for dealers, and make the drugs free to registered addicts through the NHS. Something similar apparently works in Portugal.

:blink:

Obviously you have not experienced "Her Majesty's pleasure" for a while"

A prison wing with the smell of cannabis in the air, full of dozing junkies is a quiet ship, easier for the prison officers to control. Makes for a quieter shift. They're not going to do anything that makes their job harder, so drugs are allowed in freely.

Indeed, as is anywhere, with cannabis in the air, a quieter ship. I'd bet prison officers won't be looking forward to the erratic mood swings and dark moods of prisoners going through nicotine withdrawal.

I'd second that.