Ios7 Thread

Tin Foil Hat

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Stuck it on the iPad. It's awfully like Android. Couldn't actually tell if there are any new features, but I'd say its lost some of its usability now. With previous iOS versions, it would be pretty obvious how to do anything. This is the first version where I feel a guide might be helpful.

I do think they recognised the problem of an out of date interface correctly as well as an interface which was at odds with the hardware's design aesthetic. , but I'm not convinced this is the answer. My view is that you have shiny metallic looking hardware, and that perhaps the interface should have emulated that rather than going completely flat.

This isn't the disaster that is Windows 8 - but I think it's a considerable misstep on Apple's part. I hope they don't screw over MacOSX next.

HOLA447

talking to my ISP yesterday, this IOS upgrade has caused severe bandwidth issues for them, as people are downloading the new IOS.

Huge downloads, sometimes failing...expect sluggish Internet for the next week or so.

HOLA448

Stuck it on the iPad. It's awfully like Android. Couldn't actually tell if there are any new features, but I'd say its lost some of its usability now. With previous iOS versions, it would be pretty obvious how to do anything. This is the first version where I feel a guide might be helpful.

I do think they recognised the problem of an out of date interface correctly as well as an interface which was at odds with the hardware's design aesthetic. , but I'm not convinced this is the answer. My view is that you have shiny metallic looking hardware, and that perhaps the interface should have emulated that rather than going completely flat.

This isn't the disaster that is Windows 8 - but I think it's a considerable misstep on Apple's part. I hope they don't screw over MacOSX next.

I've got no idea what this thread is about. Seriously. I suspect it might be something to do with mobile phones. I do have one (a Blackberry as it happens) and the amount of time I spend thinking about it and its doubtless many features could probably be more productively spent taking one breath.

HOLA449

I downloaded yesterday. Initially didn't like it but pretty much worked out how to do all the things I wasn't to do.

I don't much like the look of it, but I guess I will get used to it. I agree with others that it looks more like android than before (I am a nexus 7 owner).

Good bits which are useful are

Inbox for unread emails, no more scrolling down to find that unread email you had not opened

Seems to run a but faster than before

Most annoying thing is toggling back to the top of a web page, I'm sure you used to be able to tap in the general area of the top if the screen, but now it seems you need to get it in the top mm

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I've got no idea what this thread is about. Seriously. I suspect it might be something to do with mobile phones. I do have one (a Blackberry as it happens) and the amount of time I spend thinking about it and its doubtless many features could probably be more productively spent taking one breath.

I thought Apple was perfect.

Its odd that they have to keep refining their perfection.

HOLA4412

It's nothing like Android.

It's made my old iPhone 4 seem noticeably smoother in operation. I was expecting the opposite. Didn't notice any extra battery depletion after the first day of use but need more time to judge.

It seems to have lots of the stuff (like toggles for common settings) I used to jailbreak for a few years ago.

The graphic design is generally quite nice with a few readability quirks but makes the old iOS look very dated.

Nearly half of iOS devices are already running the exact same latest operating a day after release.

I don't care what people use but someone telling me Android is better than iOS is like that guy that's got a Chromebook and is convinced Linux Mint is better than Mac OS X.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Just put it on my iPhone4 which had become frustratingly laggy under iOS6. No installation problems and didn't take too long to download.

iOS7 didn't improve performance - in fact when you swipe to unlock it, the pin code screen often gets stuck half way across the screen. Similar for notifications when you swipe down. If anything should be quick it should be the unlocking process as it sets your expectations for the rest of the interaction.

I suspect that some of the graphical flourishes are not included on the iPhone4, I haven't noticed the touted parallax effect which is probably no bad thing as it just seems gimmicky to me.

Camera app had me confused for a while - it lists the modes Video, Photo and Square with a dot above the selected mode. I spent a minute stabbing at the different options trying to change mode until I realised you have to swipe them. No visual cues to this at all and doesn't seem to match the rest of the UK (especially as the labels are so small). I was hoping for some additional manual controls for the camera (given what the competition now offers) but couldn't find any - I guess that's because of the 'it just works' mantra.

Addition of a torch on the 'control centre' (upward swipe) is nice but hardly earth shattering. The change to bring up search (was swipe left in Home, now short swipe down) seems like change for the sake of it. Switching between tabs in Safari now mocks 'aero task switch' and is inconsistent with the new multi-tasking view. Multi-tasking view has a visual flourish where the app icon and the app image do not scroll past at the same speed which is just visually horrible and adds nothing IMO. Other than that the multi-tasking view is similar to Android with a swipe to close an app.

As noted in earlier posts, it appears you can no longer tap the top of the screen in Safari to scroll to the top of the current page which was a feature I really liked. In fact, Safari now feels a lot like Android Chrome to me with screen elements vanishing until you scroll up a little - not a bad thing but makes it feel like Apple is playing catch up rather than 'innovating' their own solutions.

The podcast app has not been updated as far as I can tell and that is one app that I really think could use an overhaul. Hate the way to the top left button keeps switching between My Podcasts and Store. Hitting the button when it is in 'Store' mode rather than 'My Podcast' mode is annoying because the app is laggy and opening the store takes a while.

The visual changes are... changes. To me they are neither better nor worse, just different.

All in all, pretty minor changes. Some things that were a few taps/swipes away are now a bit closer to hand and may save a couple of seconds each time you use that feature. Command Centre, Notifications, Multitasking and browsing all seem to borrow from other systems. Not a bad thing but it just doesn't fit in with the pompous Apple 'All New' and 'Redefining Experiences' narrative e.g. http://www.apple.com/ios/

HOLA4415

I have a degree in computer science and program computers for a living.

Regardless of my professional nerd credentials, I never update an OS until I have to (i.e. an app I need doesn't work), as I couldn't be arsed spending the time downloading it and figuring out a new interface. Just don't see the point.

Lazy sod that I am.

HOLA4416

Horses for courses. My missus doesn't get on with smartphones at all and doesn't see the point in all of the features. She wants a phone and that's it.

For me, it's nearly as helpful as Box from Star Cops or the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I use it for about a couple of dozen different things each day and means I can spend less time in the office (and more walking, biking or running in the countryside around here) as well as not have to bring a bunch of other things I sometimes used to carry like newspaper, diary, torch, camera, book, mp3 player, train timetable, map, London A-Z, tube map, notebook, watch, calculator.

HOLA4417

Horses for courses. My missus doesn't get on with smartphones at all and doesn't see the point in all of the features. She wants a phone and that's it.

For me, it's nearly as helpful as Box from Star Cops or the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I use it for about a couple of dozen different things each day and means I can spend less time in the office (and more walking, biking or running in the countryside around here) as well as not have to bring a bunch of other things I sometimes used to carry like newspaper, diary, torch, camera, book, mp3 player, train timetable, map, London A-Z, tube map, notebook, watch, calculator.

gaud help you if you fail to keep it charged up.

HOLA4418

For me, it's nearly as helpful as Box from Star Cops or the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

The fact that I didn't understand either of those references probably says something about me, or you, or both of us!

Edit: Exclamation mark in homage to Mr. Pin.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Most of the posts seem to be about iPhones so thought I would offer my thoughts on the new os on the ipad.

Back story from me is that I has a palm tx PDA and loved it for the Calendar and to do list all on the front screen. I love the new os as one swipe down and I can see my to do list and events booked for the day. ALL IN ONE PLACE. Wow, we have gone back 6 years to a better approach. Before the update, I had to go to Calendar to see what I had on that day, then to tasks to see what I had to do. Now one swipe and it is all there.

Do feel a bit seasick when I move the ipad around and the background moves around lol.

HOLA4421

The New York Police Department Wants You To Update To iOS7

In case there was any concern that the umbilical cord between US corporations and government has never been thicker (especially in light of recent revelations that the NSA views the AAPL Borg Collective as useful "zombies", abusing their credit cards just so they can be spied upon in new and improved ways) the New York Police Department is here to remind everyone of just that.

NYPD%20AAPL_1.jpg

People tweeting that:

NYPD cops are in front of Apple stores passing out flyers telling me to update my iOS. Corporation and government never felt so united.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-09-23/new-york-police-department-wants-you-update-ios7

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

It has one feature that seriously rocks - the ability to block a number from being able to call or text.

I've already killed off one PPI company and a US stock broker who called me every day for 7 days straight. Obviously no good for withheld numbers, but brilliant otherwise.

Might block the Mrs next...

HOLA4424

It has one feature that seriously rocks - the ability to block a number from being able to call or text.

I've already killed off one PPI company and a US stock broker who called me every day for 7 days straight. Obviously no good for withheld numbers, but brilliant otherwise.

Might block the Mrs next...

Maybe I will upgrade then!

HOLA4425

The fact that I didn't understand either of those references probably says something about me, or you, or both of us!

Edit: Exclamation mark in homage to Mr. Pin.

!!!! :blink:

! :lol:

Archived