House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Merryn Somerset Webb On Channel 4 News Last Night

Sadly, after she explained the situation in very simple terms the other guy still didn't get it did he?

True. But he looked completely insane. Even John Snow said at one of Merryn's points "it sounds right".

Strangely the Minister's example of his own adult children demonstrated Merryn's view perfectly.

PS. The minister's kids could move to South Shields to buy a home, but they won't be able to find work there. That's the point.

Sadly, after she explained the situation in very simple terms the other guy still didn't get it did he?

I couldn't work out whether Newmark was utterly confused about the subject or, faced with the problem of defending HTB for fear of falling foul of the whips, found himself unable to explain why he thought it was a good idea.

I couldn't work out whether Newmark was utterly confused about the subject or, faced with the problem of defending HTB for fear of falling foul of the whips, found himself unable to explain why he thought it was a good idea.

Perhaps it was the first time he had been forced to actually stop and think about it?

I like his bit about saying that if you could not afford a house in London then you would have to move out a bit - easy for an MP with a central London tax-payer subsidised property to say.

Excellent,

However, I am afraid that much as I greatly enjoyed Merryn, I had to hit the 'stop' button when I was told we had to "pull out the choke a little bit" just "like I have to on my vintage car", as I found myself wanting to use a 'choke' myself

In fact that was the final straw, I had hovered over the stop button earlier when it was explained that the Government had devolved responsibility for everything, except pontification.

In fact, my tolerance levels have deteriorated seriously in the last few days. The tipping point for me was free school meals for everyone - small things eh ?

Edited by LiveinHope

I notice John Snow suggested using the Help2Buy money to offer building contracts to the builders directly.

But that would by-pass their bankster mates.

Top marks to MSW, but the Newmark bloke was just unbelievable. I've never heard a less logical set of arguments outside of Lewis Carrol. Cretinous scum, defending the indefensible and he knows it.

But that would by-pass their bankster mates.

Given what builders are charging for new builds, I don't think they need any 'bungs'

Kennilworth

And can someone explain why it is even necessary to charge £1500.00 extra if you want downlighters in the bedrooms and study upon a price of £429,995 - i.e. a surcharge of 0.3% ?

Edited by LiveinHope

Given what builders are charging for new builds, I don't think they need any 'bungs'

Kennilworth

And can someone explain why it is even necessary to charge £1500.00 extra if you want downlighters in the bedrooms and study upon a price of £429,995 - i.e. a surcharge of 0.3% ?

Because Taylor Wimpey are the BMW of residential housing, the Apple of interior design. Every detail is subject to precision engineering to make it the perfect living environment. That kind of excellence costs money.

C4 News is getting very bearish on housing - I suspect Faisal Islam's influence.

I'm just finishing his book "The Default Line". It's a great, if a little technical, read. Whereas Peston's and Lanchester's books on the financial crisis had an air of bemused and detached puzzlement, as though the issues didn't actually affect them, Islam is genuinely angry and it comes through nicely in the book, especially on housing.

Richard Godwin in the Evening Standard is also good on this - see here

I think we're starting to see younger journalists affected by house prices pushing the agenda.

Edited by RentingForever

Because Taylor Wimpey are the BMW of residential housing, the Apple of interior design. Every detail is subject to precision engineering to make it the perfect living environment. That kind of excellence costs money.

Grief, I always thought they were cr4p.

Not a good day for disillusion.

:(

Edited by LiveinHope

Snow's look at the possibility that "ones" offspring might have to move out of London and buy a house somewhere oop North :o was a real picture :lol:

Why do all these Londoners think that they can just move 'oop north' and buy a house?

If you go to South Shields, good luck finding a job! The locals can't find anything, and they know the place.

and if you do find a job, it will pay 'South Shields salary' not 'London salary'. Therefore, housing is still just as unaffordable up there as it is in London.

Edited by SleepyDog

Newmark's pulling out the choke comparison must have been one of the most pathetic and least comparable comparisons ever floated by anyone and there have been some pretty pathetic examples in the past.

At least Prime Minister Sir Alec Douglas Home (Baron Home of the Hirsel) had matchsticks that he used to formulate economic policy.

The current lot don't even have that skill.

Newmark's pulling out the choke comparison must have been one of the most pathetic and least comparable comparisons ever floated by anyone and there have been some pretty pathetic examples in the past.

I thought it was fairly accurate, although he forgot to mention that the engine was already flooded and he was just making it worse.

C4 News is getting very bearish on housing - I suspect Faisal Islam's influence.

I'm just finishing his book "The Default Line". It's a great, if a little technical, read. Whereas Peston's and Lanchester's books on the financial crisis had an air of bemused and detached puzzlement, as though the issues didn't actually affect them, Islam is genuinely angry and it comes through nicely in the book, especially on housing.

Richard Godwin in the Evening Standard is also good on this - see here

I think we're starting to see younger journalists affected by house prices pushing the agenda.

Faisal Islam and Paul Mason are the best economics commentators on mainstream British media. Unfortunately, Mason is joining Channel 4 News as "culture and digital editor", so another reason not to watch Newsnight.

Here's instructions for the chancellor on how to use a choke when starting a car (er housing market), Not normally used when the "vehicle" is still hot.

http://

www.ehow.com/how_7993007_use-manual-choke-car.html

Edited by billybong

Here's instructions for the chancellor on how to use a choke when starting a car (er housing market)

http://

www.ehow.com/how_7993007_use-manual-choke-car.html

A choke is:

a mechanical device that links a retractable knob in the driver's compartment, via a cable, to a metal plate inside the carburetor

Yep.

Thanks for posting TMT, Brooks Newmark was just the usual sockpuppet. His opening remarks about areas with price falls 'suffering' told you everything.

It's the issue that will define the election more than others imo.

@cheeznbreed 12m

@TweetBrooks @Channel4News HTB is obviously a silly idea. Preserving high housing costs while lining builder's pockets is not helpful.

thought MSW voiced the most sensible case for truly affordable housing I have heard in a long time - while the other chap (didn't quite get his name) was bordering on the 'idiotic' with his counter arguments. He also didn't seem to realise that if the shortage (?) of houses was addressed by building 'affordable ones' this would bring the price of the unaffordable ones down so the market would still crash to an extent.

btw - didn't like MSW 's hairstyle :)