House Price Crash Forum

Retail Sales Fall

HOLA441

Retail sales unexpectedly fall in August

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-24156664

Cable lost some ground on the news.

Come on, get shopping. It can't be the weather or royal babies distracting!

Food sales fell by 2.7% compared with July, the ONS said

Edited by aSecureTenant

HOLA442

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24156664

Meh, i'm immune to this garbage now. Every month its the same crap reacting to short term changes, written by journo's who need to write something to justify their jobs.

"Retail sales unexpectedly fall" one month then "Retail sales unexpectedly rise" the next. Rinse and repeat replacing the first two words of the sentence which whatever economic topic is flavour of the month.

HOLA443

Interesting, I noticed in recent days that Tesco and Sainsburys are suddenly discounting white goods considerably. Everything from frying pans to microwaves, kettles, etc.

I assumed this was because things weren't selling. I wonder if we are going to have another run up to Christmas like we had 3 years ago where clothes and white goods just get more and more discounted the closer we get to Christmas?

HOLA444

Meh, i'm immune to this garbage now. Every month its the same crap reacting to short term changes, written by journo's who need to write something to justify their jobs.

"Retail sales unexpectedly fall" one month then "Retail sales unexpectedly rise" the next. Rinse and repeat replacing the first two words of the sentence which whatever economic topic is flavour of the month.

And often from the same clowns who espouse a belief in efficient markets i.e. there is no 'unexpectedly'. :rolleyes:

HOLA445
HOLA446

Interesting, I noticed in recent days that Tesco and Sainsburys are suddenly discounting white goods considerably. Everything from frying pans to microwaves, kettles, etc.

I assumed this was because things weren't selling. I wonder if we are going to have another run up to Christmas like we had 3 years ago where clothes and white goods just get more and more discounted the closer we get to Christmas?

TBH, I think retailers have got ahead of themselves.

I was looking for a new frying pan and happened to be at Clarkes Village, Somerset - Shops were asking £30 to £40!! Fair enough I was looking for a quality pan - in the end I decided I would try the pound shop or Argos when I got back to Eire.

Got one from TK Max for €19 - much cheaper.

Just bought 1.1kg of mince yesterday for €5 (£4) - usually €4 each - that might be seasonal as Cows tend to be slaughtered this time of year as the grass slows down.

Generally, these days we just go without, however I think a large part of it is getting old and watching prices go up. Starting to understand why my grandmother lived off tesco value when she could afford Harrods. She managed to keep the cost of living static for 20 years by trading down!

HOLA447

TBH, I think retailers have got ahead of themselves.

I was looking for a new frying pan and happened to be at Clarkes Village, Somerset - Shops were asking £30 to £40!! Fair enough I was looking for a quality pan - in the end I decided I would try the pound shop or Argos when I got back to Eire.

Got one from TK Max for €19 - much cheaper.

Just bought 1.1kg of mince yesterday for €5 (£4) - usually €4 each - that might be seasonal as Cows tend to be slaughtered this time of year as the grass slows down.

Generally, these days we just go without, however I think a large part of it is getting old and watching prices go up. Starting to understand why my grandmother lived off tesco value when she could afford Harrods. She managed to keep the cost of living static for 20 years by trading down!

In the past week I have seen some excellent frying pans in Sainsburys, lidl and Aldi all in the £7 price area.

HOLA448

I hope it's a sign of this, but fear those being bailed out by QE (it's leaking to some people, even if it's just dividends on stocks), and others rushing to HTB/HTB2 to pay high prices, will keep all the demand up just enough, for the VIs to drag it out for years with high house prices.

In 2011 the consumer balked at attempts to stimulate aggregate demand via inflationary policy of negative real interest rates, and ever since, has been raising real interest rates by reducing inflation through lower aggregate demand. This is perhaps the most unappreciated yet significant market development since the financial crisis.

Aggregate demand in the real economy has in fact met the limit of monetary policy, rendering QE’s impact ineffective and obsolete.

HOLA449

In the past week I have seen some excellent frying pans in Sainsburys, lidl and Aldi all in the £7 price area.

Just to confirm, if they have any kind of non-stick substance on them they aren't 'excellent' (unless you enjoy filling your blood stream with a variety of non-stick chemicals).

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-24156664

Food sales fell by 2.7% compared with July, the ONS said

Steady on there with the crazy talk:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10319889/Shopper-spend-1bn-less-in-August-after-July-splurge.html

Economists blamed the large monthly change on Britain’s weather. “If there is an ex-post rationale for the decline in sales, it seems to be largely down to the weather,” Mr Tinsley said.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/rsi/retail-sales/august-2013/stb-rsi-august-2013.html#tab-Sector-Summary

It is difficult to comment on month on month. Household goods tallys with a low transaction volume (also reported at the land registry) in the housing market. Though see here for an article last week has strong sales to 31August.

The retailers always cry wolf at Christmas so there will be dire warnings on the horizon.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/10303993/Homebase-sales-sizzle-as-DIY-chain-posts-strongest-growth-in-a-decade.html