House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ticket2ride

Thousands Of Affordable Homes Axed

Thousands of affordable homes axed

Housebuilders and councils in Britain's biggest cities are failing to comply with affordable housing targets, and even ripping up legal commitments to build cheaper homes.
Affordable housing includes social, rented and shared ownership

Perhaps the SO scam is too much hassle. Take up too low.

In Cheshire, a council decision to allow a consortium of leading housebuilders to axe 252 affordable homes in the 1,200-unit Winnington Urban Village in Northwich after legal sign-off has "opened the floodgates" to developers requesting similar reductions

Lots of comments below the line with specific examples...

MBDrapier: A new planned development in Cambridge had the affordable housing requirement waived by the planning committee when they said that providing affordable housing would make the development uneconomical.
Huw Price: in affluent Waverley, where the council completely caved in over a promise to provide affordable housing on the 'Key Site', close to town, in an area where prices start at £300,000.
Navilus: Neptune Wharf in Fish Island next to the Olympics is a classic case in point. Developers and Architects are working hand in glove with City Hall to override local and council objections

The word cartel was also mentioned.

Edited by ticket2ride

I must say I completely despise the affordable home concept as applied to these situations. Just another exercise in keeping prices high while pretending to give a shit about poor people.

Maybe a good thing then?

Although don't they rely on councils / housing associations committing to buy a certain amount of units to help fix prices and lock in profit.

I like the suggestion of compulsory purchases of land from developers.

Maybe a good thing then?

Although don't they rely on councils / housing associations committing to buy a certain amount of units to help fix prices and lock in profit.

I like the suggestion of compulsory purchases of land from developers.

Perhaps it is a good thing, if only to highlight the true cost of UK housing. There's just so much wrong with UK property/building/planning etc, pretty much everywhere you turn it's a disaster.

perhaps I am a bit naive, but if any person can buy a building plot for £20/30k we would not have problems like that at all. plus is it seems to me that this should be a basic human right ... :(

Good.

I detest the affordable homes idea.

It's another well intentioned idea from hand wringing wets which combined with the stunting of the small/self build market simply serves to keep the population in big builder slave hutches.

We should build and allow to be built the most of the very best houses the market will bear.

The old "unaffordable" houses won't disappear and will be sold at a price that the market can support.

Our entire effort should be to increase quality overall in the market and put aside the petty jealousies which bemoan that people with less money can't have crap new houses like the rest of the population.

My Mum lives near one of the new developments being built near Cranleigh in the Waverley District

The starting price for the cheapest property on one of the estates is £750,000 for a 4 bedroom house

And these properties in question come with virtually no surrounding garden

This is in a village at least 10 miles from the nearest commutable railway station and where broadband access is pretty much at dial up speeds.

The prices are barking and there are bigger and better properties the area in better locations with more land available for at least 200,000 less.

Cranleigh properties

Edited by stormymonday_2011

My Mum lives near one of the new developments being built near Cranleigh in the Waverley District

The starting price for the cheapest property on one of the estates is £750,000 for a 4 bedroom house

And these properties in question come with virtually no surrounding garden

This is in a village at least 10 miles from the nearest commutable railway station and where broadband access is pretty much at dial up speeds.

The prices are barking and there are bigger and better properties the area in better locations with more land available for at least 200,000 less.

Cranleigh properties

I went to Cranleigh once to pick up something I'd bought on ebay. This sizable town with multiple banks, supermarkets etc was laughably labelled as a "village". We've got cities in Wiltshire smaller than that! No wonder so many Londonites who buy property down our way move on so quickly - they can't hack the reality. I live in a real village - one ailing shop, 2 closed down pubs, closed post office, closed school, astronomically expensive character cottages (completely empty save holidays and the odd weekend), lots of geriatric boomers massively under occupying large family homes, lots of muck-spreading and mooing. (Indeed "excessive mooing" according to one London couple when they complained to the adjacent farm).

I went to Cranleigh once to pick up something I'd bought on ebay. This sizable town with multiple banks, supermarkets etc was laughably labelled as a "village". We've got cities in Wiltshire smaller than that! No wonder so many Londonites who buy property down our way move on so quickly - they can't hack the reality. I live in a real village - one ailing shop, 2 closed down pubs, closed post office, closed school, astronomically expensive character cottages (completely empty save holidays and the odd weekend), lots of geriatric boomers massively under occupying large family homes, lots of muck-spreading and mooing. (Indeed "excessive mooing" according to one London couple when they complained to the adjacent farm).

The population of Cranleigh was 11,241 in 2001 census which is quite big but as it has a Parish not a town council it is still technically a village.

Local politics is run from Waverley council based in Godalming

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_village_in_England

Lancing in West Sussex is an even bigger 'village' with a population of 18,700

Anyway Cranleigh has had no railway station since Beeching axed it which for a Surrey location is a big negative for commuter. The price tags on the new builds are completely out of touch with even the inflated prices that existing properties can get in that part of the world which is really the point I was making.

BTW my great grand parents moved as agricultural labourers from near Market Lavington in Wiltshire to work on a farm in Surrey at the beginning of the 20 th century so they obviously saw the way things were going even back then.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

I must say I completely despise the affordable home concept as applied to these situations. Just another exercise in keeping prices high while pretending to give a shit about poor people.

Colleague's son and family moved into a new 'affordable' home - a HA job included in a site of shiny new flats. The 2nd bedroom was barely long enough for a single bed and the small kitchen had no window. They had 2 small children. I cannot understand how a kitchen with no window is even legal.

Colleague's son and family moved into a new 'affordable' home - a HA job included in a site of shiny new flats. The 2nd bedroom was barely long enough for a single bed and the small kitchen had no window. They had 2 small children. I cannot understand how a kitchen with no window is even legal.

I've been in an expensive flat that had no kitchen window-even though the room was large the temp rose very quickly. Down your way, you've probably walked past the building as I recall you talking about walking along the Thames - KT1 1HS . I guess quite a few of the flats in there are similarly afflicted.

There's no excuse for bedrooms that cannot be lived in either, an utter disgrace. Unfortunately policymakers' prevailing views on this are pretty emphatically in favour if this.