House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Oliver Sutton

Aberystwyth

Hello. Just thought I'd start a post on Aberystwyth because it's pretty peculiar.

House prices are suddenly going up and people seem to be actually buying! Do they not know what's coming??

- 2,000 fewer students this year meaning landlords can't fill their houses with students

- two new university halls due to open next year for (I have been told) 2,000 students ... which means landlords will definitely not be able to fill their houses with students next year

- less funding for the University, the local authority and all other public bodies every year

- the Jews aren't coming in the Summer anymore

If I am wrong with these student figures, please correct me - I am going by what I've heard rather than solid fact.

Perhaps people are glad that the town won't be unliveable any more if the students move out of town. But really, who will the landlords rent some of these houses to? The town has been destroyed for families and professionals so the landlords will ship people in on DSS from the midlands of England. (Please tell me I'm wrong??)

Any comments?

Perhaps people are glad that the town won't be unliveable any more if the students move out of town. But really, who will the landlords rent some of these houses to? The town has been destroyed for families and professionals so the landlords will ship people in on DSS from the midlands of England. (Please tell me I'm wrong??)

Any comments?

You are of course completely correct. But why don't you join the sinking ship which is rural and picturesque Wales and keep voting your London centric parties which view it as an area to dump ex-cons, those on DSS and others which are deemed economically unviable....not to mention the retirees and the good lifers of course.

By 'the Jews aren't coming in the Summer anymore' I think it should be pointed out to anyone not familiar with this... what this means is that Jewish families have regularly been coming to spend Summer months in Welsh towns such as Aber and Swansea, etc, for several decades.

I am surprised that they no longer are going to Aber. We had the usual bunch here in Swansea this Summer and a pleasant, enjoyable bunch of people they were too - as always. I find it wonderful to see people walking around Swansea in traditional orthodox Jewish clothing.

Re the OP's comments about the student numbers and new accomodation - sounds a receipe for disaster. Sadly, I know you are right about England using Wales as a dumping ground. Been going on for several hundred years and, sadly, the mindset has not changed.

Thanks for explaining my comment about the Jews. Every summer hundreds of orthodox Jews used to come and stay in Aberystwyth University halls of residence for their holidays, which was a boost to the local economy but they were banned from coming by the University this year for candle-related health and safety reasons....

I read about this group of Jewish people coming and if I remember correctly, it was to do with one of their religious practices (is it Hannukah?) requiring the lighting of candles. Of course, this was done in-doors and it didn't go down very well with the authorities since they were I believe using Uni accommodation during their stay.....health and safety etc Their absence won't be a blow to the town as they were Orthodox Jews and brought their kosher food with them. Also, one of their members drowned in the sea I think last year. I'm not quite sure why the Jewish community have any relevance?

Thanks for explaining my comment about the Jews. Every summer hundreds of orthodox Jews used to come and stay in Aberystwyth University halls of residence for their holidays, which was a boost to the local economy but they were banned from coming by the University this year for candle-related health and safety reasons....

They were banned? Good grief.

I can understand the safety aspect but surely they could have worked something out. From your post I just assumed that they had stopped coming for some other reason.

I read about this group of Jewish people coming and if I remember correctly, it was to do with one of their religious practices (is it Hannukah?) requiring the lighting of candles. Of course, this was done in-doors and it didn't go down very well with the authorities since they were I believe using Uni accommodation during their stay.....health and safety etc Their absence won't be a blow to the town as they were Orthodox Jews and brought their kosher food with them. Also, one of their members drowned in the sea I think last year. I'm not quite sure why the Jewish community have any relevance?

Don't you know Caius - some theologians think the Welsh are one of the lost tribes of Israel.

Don't you know Caius - some theologians think the Welsh are one of the lost tribes of Israel.

I've heard that. But on the other hand, you had poets like R J Derfel who found such thoughts abhorrent and he pointed out that our names and often even place names and so much of our culture was biblical in nature. He went as far as to say that Robert Owen of Newtown (Y Drenewydd) should replace St David as our patron saint.

What's this? They're actually admitting to what's been going on:

The housing association said it wanted to abandon the existing way of allocating housing based on a system which gave people with the greatest number of problems the most points, and a house.

Instead, it wants a banding system which gives priority to local people, those in employment and those who contribute in a positive way to their community through volunteering.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-11968324

What's this? They're actually admitting to what's been going on:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-11968324

Didn't they do something similar up in Brecon Beacons a year or two back. They started giving social housing to people in the area with jobs rather than people with problems.... because it was driving out workers who could not afford to stay in the area and creating a broke economy.

Didn't they do something similar up in Brecon Beacons a year or two back. They started giving social housing to people in the area with jobs rather than people with problems.... because it was driving out workers who could not afford to stay in the area and creating a broke economy.

I didn't hear that. Have you maybe mixed it up with the Peak District or Lake District? Usually, when things like this are done in Wales, the Labour party which is the establishment, claim it's racist.

Edited by Caius

I didn't hear that. Have you maybe mixed it up with the Peak District or Lake District? Usually, when things like this are done in Wales, the Labour party which is the establishment, claim it's racist.

No, it was in the Brecon Beacons. I think it was the Forestry Commission or the Nstional Trust or one of the Councils. They owned properties but were allocating them on the points basis giving priority to those out of work, etc.

It was on the BBC Wales website at the time.

My suspicion is that giving priority to working, local people who help out in the community has other benefits for the housing association ie less disruption, damage, problems with rent paying etc.

I'm sure I read at one time that is this is how most social housing used to allocated - you basically had to demonstrate you were a decent citizen in order to access it.

My suspicion is that giving priority to working, local people who help out in the community has other benefits for the housing association ie less disruption, damage, problems with rent paying etc.

I'm sure I read at one time that is this is how most social housing used to allocated - you basically had to demonstrate you were a decent citizen in order to access it.

That's an interesting theory. In fact, I'm sure you're not far off the mark.