House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SEW247

Terms And Conditions For A Consultant

My GF got made redundant and set up a Ltd Company and now employs herself as a Consultant. In essence, she is working with several companies providing consultancy services in relation to Marketing and Social Media; effectively looking into what the companies are doing and coming up with new strategies for them through using her previous industry expertise.

She is currently working for one company 2.5 days per week and being paid a day rate +VAT to provide these services. They have now asked her to provide her "Company Terms and Conditions" as there has been a recent change and that any suppliers must do this.

Whilst I understand this need, it all seems unduly complicated for someone like her who is simply providing her expertise in a consulting capacity.

Could anyone point me somewhere where I could get some "standard" / "example" Ts&Cs or could she really make it as simple as:

XXX Ltds agrees to provide XXX services at a cost of XXXX and work will be delivered in XXXX form to XXX person. (Plus some other bits on invoicing, billing etc?!)

Or should she throw it back at them and ask them to produce a contract for her to look through and agree to.

Any help would be gratefully received!

My GF got made redundant and set up a Ltd Company and now employs herself as a Consultant. In essence, she is working with several companies providing consultancy services in relation to Marketing and Social Media; effectively looking into what the companies are doing and coming up with new strategies for them through using her previous industry expertise.

She is currently working for one company 2.5 days per week and being paid a day rate +VAT to provide these services. They have now asked her to provide her "Company Terms and Conditions" as there has been a recent change and that any suppliers must do this.

Whilst I understand this need, it all seems unduly complicated for someone like her who is simply providing her expertise in a consulting capacity.

Could anyone point me somewhere where I could get some "standard" / "example" Ts&Cs or could she really make it as simple as:

XXX Ltds agrees to provide XXX services at a cost of XXXX and work will be delivered in XXXX form to XXX person. (Plus some other bits on invoicing, billing etc?!)

Or should she throw it back at them and ask them to produce a contract for her to look through and agree to.

I've been asked for this in the past but I no longer have the docs, sorry, as my UK companies are long gone.

I did simple ones, but be a bit careful, they're sometimes silly about what's going to happen if you're sick etc, you need to make clear the limitations of the services being provided.

If you are doing it yourself - I'd have a look at the standard terms and conditions of a few web design companies - then strip out the non-applicable bits. If nothing else will give guidance to what you might wasnt to be present to cover yourselves.

Ask the requester for a copy of their terms, preferably in electronic form.

Copy, cut and paste et voila.

You could also say you dont have any save whats on the quote you provided for services...they are the terms and conditions and could be as simple as Ill turn up 2.5 days per week as per quote to carry out the following service as per quote, you will then pay me on presentation of my invoice plus VAT at the ruling rate.

Invoice monthly, payment within 30 days. Hourly rate £X, or £Y (lower) subject to minimum monthly retainer £Z. Consultant may undertake other work, paid or unpaid, provided there is no conflict of interest, but undertakes to make herself available at least N hours/week except by arrangement (holiday) or emergency.

Or some variant on that. The committments on both sides assume that's what's been agreed.

If she signs up for the PCG - have a Google - you get templates and help for all that sort of stuff.

Main reason for doing so is for advice and support if you are investigated by the taxman.

Doesn't cost much either - and apparently if you are investigated their advice and help is valuable indeed.

As above there are plenty of templates on Google.

One useful aspect is limitation of liability.

To err is human. To really **** things up, you need a computer.

I code websites and applications. Even simple mistakes, like the one I made once with a foreign key, can result in Vienna being a city in Belgium* and a shipment being sent there. That actually got returned to sender, but that could have lost the client a grand or so, and that's pretty minor compared to the mistakes you could make.

* Foreign key was referencing the customer address not the shipping address - damn those customers who order in one country for delivery to another. It took five years before that scenario ever came up.