House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shindigger

New Wicker Man Clip Found

I heard about this one on the radio. May go and see the ''final cut''. Was rather disappointed that the peachy rear nude shot of Brit pounding on the door to the folk music outside was actually a body double (or so the radio programme claimed).

Apparently it was cut originally because the editor considered it was the worst British film ever released. Ironically it became the Citizen Cane of horror movies.

I heard about this one on the radio. May go and see the ''final cut''. Was rather disappointed that the peachy rear nude shot of Brit pounding on the door to the folk music outside was actually a body double (or so the radio programme claimed).

She was preggers apparently.

So many rumours and myths around this film.

Have just seen the Muppet Wicker Man linked to in the comments.

Bloody hilarious.

Apparently it was cut originally because the editor considered it was the worst British film ever released. Ironically it became the Citizen Cane of horror movies.

The story I heard was that the production company went bust and was bought out after shooting had finished, but during the editing process. It was the new producer who hated the director's guts, believed the film would be a flop, ordered it cut down to B-movie length and the removed sections of negative buried in landfill under what is now the M4. Projection prints of rough cuts that are significantly longer than the official version have been doing the rounds for ages. Prints of one version allegedly circulated in the US in significant quantities. I remember showing one at a London arthouse in the late '80s or early '90s. It's owner (some businessman who claimed to have bought it in an auction) was so paranoid that we'd make pirate videos of it that he emplyed a Group 4 security guard to deliver it, and remain in the projection box throughout the time I was preparing it, showing it and packing it off again: around four hours in total, and he didn't even leave the box to go to the loo. Not being a particular fan of the movie and being preoccupied with changeovers, rewinding, cleaning etc, while it was running, I can't remember what extra scenes were in this print, but I do remember that the screening was completely sold out.

Brit Ekland didn't do the dance. A local go-go dancer was brought in. Brit refused to have her backside seen, and was two months pregnant at the time. This extract is from an excellent book Inside the Wicker Man by Allan Brown....

Brit Ekland: I don't like that scene. You can tell it isn't me. My movements were [in a rehearsal] less violent than the stand-in's movements. It should have been a sensual sequence but it isn't. It's just a big wig and a big bottom wiggling about. I get a lot of fan mail, as you can imagine, and fans send me pictures of that scene to be autographed. I have to write back and say, Sorry, it's not me, you've been sold a dud.

Oh, and Brit doesn't speak on the film soundtrack. Her accent was too pronounced, so they brought in Scottish singer Annie Ross to do her lines...

Sorry...

Brit Ekland didn't do the dance. A local go-go dancer was brought in. Brit refused to have her backside seen, and was two months pregnant at the time. This extract is from an excellent book Inside the Wicker Man by Allan Brown....

Brit Ekland: I don't like that scene. You can tell it isn't me. My movements were [in a rehearsal] less violent than the stand-in's movements. It should have been a sensual sequence but it isn't. It's just a big wig and a big bottom wiggling about. I get a lot of fan mail, as you can imagine, and fans send me pictures of that scene to be autographed. I have to write back and say, Sorry, it's not me, you've been sold a dud.

Oh, and Brit doesn't speak on the film soundtrack. Her accent was too pronounced, so they brought in Scottish singer Annie Ross to do her lines...

Sorry...

Why are you sorry?

No need to apologise.

An **** is an **** is an ****.

I've got two versions of this film, and not seen that clip before.

I do remember seeing one version on TV with a load of scene setting on the mainland.

Id say the music is its strong point really.

The fella with the bad wig singing in the bar, is apparently Paul Giovani, who did it all.

The Wicker Man is one of my favourite films....

The copy I have has got that scene in it - the next part is Christopher Lee quoting a Walt Whitman poem while 2 snails mate.

The quality is a lot better though, as the scene was originally taken from the best available source at the time. Looks like they've found the master.

There's several minutes on the mainland at the beginning as well, with scenes of Edward Woodward in his church, and him looking around the harbour at graffiti sprayed on the buildings.

Its the lost scenes I'd like to see - there's a whole section where Christopher Lee and Edward Woodward have a discussion about apples that's never been found.

Top stuff. Cheers.

The 17 minute version sounds good.

Gets out of plane.

Rows ashore.

Gets grilled.

:lol:

and remember boys and girls, if you enjoyed The Wicker Man you'll probably also like this...

34rxelz.jpg

and maybe even this...

2r7llqo.jpg

I only made it half way through this.

Oddly enough he burns one in a Wicker Man.

Spooky.

The WM, The WF General and The Devils were all made round about the same time and shared some themes. Pitching their unsuspecting protagonist into an entire community off its collective trolley.

Here's a couple for you

and the Devil Rides Out (renamed for US audiences)

Both gems, no doubt. One difference with the previously mentioned films is that in those two there actually is a manifest supernatural element.

In The Wicker Man, The Witchfinder General or The Devils, other people and their ****ed up beliefs are the Horror.

The Devil Rides Out is a good film, stands up to repeated viewing IMO, not much made in the Horror genre nowadays does that?

I suspect that's down to acting, story-line, direction and Charles Gray's spooky hypnotic powers,

and most definitely not down to the special FX

Thing with early 70s horror is that it was a weird time anyway. This one from the States is now considered a cult classic, not because it is a good movie but is a nostalgic trip back into weirdsville (also 1973).......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kr2AMIXI6g

The rather surreal Astrid Heeren who co-stars appears to have disappeared without a trace. Her biography comes to dead end shortly after this film...

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsl83u7Jpw1qij82jo1_500.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/astrid-heeren&h=640&w=497&sz=166&tbnid=kloZEHVjeiCFCM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=70&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dastrid%2Bheeren%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=astrid+heeren&usg=__Id5SWNwp1O06FKqCoNPdRKTr8GM=&docid=Zs_GasxfqmTHnM&sa=X&ei=SZU4UveWH5Su7AaaxoHYDQ&ved=0CDIQ9QEwAQ&dur=1045

http://www.theguardian.com/film/video/2013/sep/13/wicker-man-lost-clip-video

Not actually new, but lost to many of the DVD releases.

Not sure the tune is up to the standard of the rest of the soundtrack though.

bah! nothing new at all. that scene was in every version of the film that I ever saw. that's my favourite tune also.

The WM, The WF General and The Devils were all made round about the same time and shared some themes. Pitching their unsuspecting protagonist into an entire community off its collective trolley.

Sounds like the UK today (outside HPC of course).

Sounds like the UK today (outside HPC of course).

:)

That's the truly horrible thing about the ending of The Wicker Man. The first time you watch it you think someone on the island is going to realise what they are doing is insane, and wrong, and put a stop to it. But, nope, they're all lined-up watching it, singing and dancing cheerfully.

The copper prays for salvation as the fire is lit but you're left with the impression that not even his god is going to help him.

A bit like moving to North Wales? :lol:

Edit:

typo

A bit like moving to North Wales? :lol:

This is going back a while now but when I used to visit North Wales I always used to find the locals very respectful. Walk into a pub, say, and everyone would stop talking so you could make your order.

On the subject of the Wicker Man, I was so taken by the film when I first saw it, and a few other bits of Western Isle lore (I Know Where I'm Going! came up in a recent thread) I spent a few years' worth of available time visiting most of the inhabited Western Isles.

And the real island/ community where it felt most like the locals stuck people in large sacrificial effigies was...

Eigg

though Bethesda did run a close second

Apologies to anyone who grew up in either. I'm just joshing*.

*PS Please don't burn me.