House Price Crash Forum
SleepyHead

Bbc News And Current Affairs Launches Review

Our views are welcome, apparently.

Overview

The BBC Trust works on behalf of licence fee payers to ensure that the BBC provides high quality services and good value for everyone in the UK. One of the ways we do this is by carrying out an in-depth review of each of the BBC's services at least once every 5 years, and part of the review is a public consultation so we can hear your views.

http://consultations...bbc/news_review

paulmasonblog_copy_normal.jpgPaul Mason@paulmasonnews19mBBC has launched wide-ranging review of its News/Current Affairs content. Criticism, suggestions, observations? Here http://consultations.external.bbc.co.uk/bbc/news_review
Edited by SleepyDog

"After a wide ranging consultation we have found that many people are satisfied with our coverage. Some others feel that they would like to see even more representation of minority views in our news output. In order to meet these demands we recommend that the licence fee be raised by 100% so that the BBC we all love can put itself on a stable footing for the next decade."

"After a wide ranging consultation we have found that many people are satisfied with our coverage. Some others feel that they would like to see even more representation of minority views in our news output. In order to meet these demands we recommend that the licence fee be raised by 100% so that the BBC we all love can put itself on a stable footing for the next decade."

Yeah, I suspect you're right. laugh.gif

We've been here before, sadly no BBC comedians with any guts now.

I would say reschedule all the interesting guests like Steve Keen, Kyle Bass Marc Faber who they usually relegate to 3am or something on N24 to daily slots on the 6 o clock news. Perhaps get rid of the flanders woman?

I would second that.

Our views are welcome, apparently.

Overview

The BBC Trust works on behalf of licence fee payers to ensure that the BBC provides high quality services and good value for everyone in the UK. One of the ways we do this is by carrying out an in-depth review of each of the BBC's services at least once every 5 years, and part of the review is a public consultation so we can hear your views.

http://consultations...bbc/news_review

[/size]

I understand the scepticism about it, but I think it's still worth a try.

We must send our criticisms.

This debt-asset bubble is obvious since at least 2002 or 2003, and the BBC still hasn't understood or explained that to the population. This is ... (I don't have words good enough to describe this sh!t, sorry).

We MUST complain. It's not the BBC role just to tell the people what they want to hear. The BBC is supposed to research and tell the truth! (The fecking incompetent b@stards! Sorry.)

And we must include facts, data, and not only our opinions, and expletives... ( as tempting as it may be. :( ).

Or, if/when we feel an irrepressible need to vent our anger, then perhaps we could send it on a separate email? :)

I find the way that the BBC reports press releases from vested interests in ramping house prices - such as the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors, the property website Rightmove, Mortgage lenders, etc - with little or no journalistic questioning to be simply appalling.

The BBC would not report press releases from other vested interest groups in this way so why does it do this with property and house prices?

It is also scandalous that virtually every single time the BBC does an item on house prices that an estate agent - yet another vested interest in creating an impression of higher and higher house prices being good - is brought on to give an opinion about house prices. When the BBC does a programme on drugs you don't bring on a backstreet drug peddlar every time and ask him or her opinion about whether drugs are wonderful?

In this regard I find the standard of journalism at the BBC has fallen considerably in recent years. Your journalists need to question, question, question everything and not simply be the dumb mouth-pieces for the housing market's vested interests and their constant house price ramping press releases.

I find the way that the BBC reports press releases from vested interests in ramping house prices - such as the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors, the property website Rightmove, Mortgage lenders, etc - with little or no journalistic questioning to be simply appalling.

The BBC would not report press releases from other vested interest groups in this way so why does it do this with property and house prices?

It is also scandalous that virtually every single time the BBC does an item on house prices that an estate agent - yet another vested interest in creating an impression of higher and higher house prices being good - is brought on to give an opinion about house prices. When the BBC does a programme on drugs you don't bring on a backstreet drug peddlar every time and ask him or her opinion about whether drugs are wonderful?

In this regard I find the standard of journalism at the BBC has fallen considerably in recent years. Your journalists need to question, question, question everything and not simply be the dumb mouth-pieces for the housing market's vested interests and their constant house price ramping press releases.

That's an email ready to be sent to the BBC.

Very good one TMT.

Not exactly HPC, but I would appreciate it if they and the rest of the media and political class would stop talking about trust as if that's the be all and end all. e.g. google "restore trust" with BBC or NHS or banking.

You can have complete trust in a poisoned drink. I'd rather the producer made sure it wasn't poisoned (quality control). Failing that, I'd rather they were honest about it being poisoned rather than seeking to restore trust in it.

Q

I find it amazing that mainstream journalists can talk about the economy being in "recovery" and living standards continuing to fall in the same item, and apparently not notice any contradiction whatsoever.

I don't think it helps that so many journalists are innumerate arts graduates, so when an economist comes on talking about some nonsense statistic like GDP they blindly assume it is as good a measure of objective reality as a thermometer or a set of scales and don't dig any deeper.

I find it amazing that mainstream journalists can talk about the economy being in "recovery" and living standards continuing to fall in the same item, and apparently not notice any contradiction whatsoever.

I don't think it helps that so many journalists are innumerate arts graduates, so when an economist comes on talking about some nonsense statistic like GDP they blindly assume it is as good a measure of objective reality as a thermometer or a set of scales and don't dig any deeper.

I think it's to do with the strange categories used by the politicians and MSM. You know, things like 'affordable housing', 'hard working families' or 'jobs and growth'. So in this instance, the 'economy' is one thing (probably something to do with GDP and house prices), while 'living standards' are a completely different category (probably something to do with inflation and wages). No cognitive dissonance required.

The stimulus operation was a complete success, but the patient died.