House Price Crash Forum
Adam

Investing In Nuclear Power

I think that nuclear power currently holds one of the world's biggest opportunities for growth.

How can I make the most of these potential gains?

What would be the best companies to invest in - presumably those which run the most nuclear power stations, and those that supply equipment to them or mine uranium?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

NP is probably a good bet for long-term investment.

The UK will almost certainly give the go-ahead to a new build programme, and if they dont then we will simply end up importing power from French NP stations.

A good company to look at is Canadian firm called 'Westinghouse'. They used to be owned by British Energy, but I think were sold recently when BE was in trouble (not 100% tho). They have designed some very advanced and safe NP stations - AP1000 1000MW reactor etc.

Also French NP firms may also be a good bet as they are far-less anti-nuclear over there, and they also export to other countries. A new build programme here may well use French designed reactors if they dont use Westinghouse ones - or even a mix.

There must also be some Russian firms involed in NP generation, and these might be a more risky but potentially higher-gaining bet as they are probably more likely to be popular with developing countries.

(I used to work for BNFL btw!)

Pete,

Thanks for the information.

I will look into Westinghouse sounds like the best bet, and I like the idea of Russian nuclear (just get out before they all explode).

I'm only putting a very small % of money into this, for very long term.

Once again, thanks for the reply

Pete,

Thanks for the information.

I will look into Westinghouse sounds like the best bet, and I like the idea of Russian nuclear (just get out before they all explode).

I'm only putting a very small % of money into this, for very long term.

Once again, thanks for the reply

I have (had?) a little bit of money in Biofuels, whose shares have recently been suspended :(

From now on I will banish any subversive green investment thoughts from my mind, nuclear is the way forward.

The Uranium Bull Market Keeps Getting More Bullish

China Demand for Uranium, World Growth in Electricity Demand to Drive Uranium Price Higher

Industry expert says all new production already factored in uranium price “We are consuming far more uranium than we are producing worldwide,” explained David Miller, Wyoming legislator and recently appointed president of Strathmore Resources (TSX-V: STM; OTC: STHJF.PK). “All the new production is already factored into the future market for uranium. We’re underwater right now without building one more nuclear power plant.” Nuclear reactor requirements have far outstripped current mining production (see chart below) for the past two decades. Current worldwide production is more than 80 million pounds, but the demand for uranium, which fuels nuclear reactors, is running an annual deficit of approximately 60 million pounds.