House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bergy100

Rental Lease Expiring

Could someone give me some advice on a rental situation? I realise there is an alternative forum for this but think this is the best place to ask re: Norn Iron.

My one year lease is due to expire around the end of the month and I am being pressured to agree a new six month lease by the letting agent. According to them they are in contact with the landlord over this and the l'lord wants the additional security of the extended timespan. They refused my offer of signing on a quarterly basis.

It suits me to go month to month as my aim is to eventually buy a property. This may not happen in the next six months - but obviously my concern is that a property may come on that we would like to make an offer on in that time. Similarly, I'm aware that if I sign this time, the same scenario will arise in six months time - meaning I could be caught unwittingly in a rental trap.

What approach should I take as we are content in the house and only wish to leave if a property we want to buy becomes available?

If a house comes up that you like to buy,Chances are it'll take up to 2-4 weeks from the property coming on to the market,get all the viewings done and an offer accepted. Another 6-8 weeks for the legals to be done.

Plus you could always ask the deal to be completed on a set date, doesn't have to be ASAP.

If a house came up the day after you signed a 6month lease, you might only end up having 1 or 2 months of paying rent and a mortgage, if any at all.

We often get purchasers in this situation.

We advise them to firstly let their LL know so he/she can look for someone else. In the current climate the LL can usually find a replacement quite quickly. We then work with the purchaser and either delay the completion until the LL has let them go or on one or two occasions paid a month or two's rent when we wanted the house occupied.