House Price Crash Forum

Double Room With Bunk Bed - Amazing Price, Close To Centre ! Just **one** Place Left ! £235Pm Stratford, London

HOLA441

Things have got bad when people have to rent out a bunk bed and can't afford a room to themselves.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/flats-houses/female-double-room-with-bunk-bed-amazing-price-close-to-centre-just-one-place-left/1030941413#photo-content

DOUBLE ROOM WITH BUNK BED - AMAZING PRICE, CLOSE TO CENTRE !!! JUST **ONE** PLACE LEFT !!!

£235pm Stratford, London

Price of accommodation for ONE person, who SHARING room with OTHER PEOPLE:

DOUBLE BEDROOM:

235 pounds / 4 weeks / ONE PERSON IN SHARE ROOM + 100 pounds RETURNABLE deposit

Accommodation includes all charges (electricity, gas - heating, hot water, council tax , INTERNET, etc.).

INCLUDING RENT IS ALSO: washing powder, fabric softener, spices, toilet paper, sugar, salt, smell to the toilet, etc. = HUGE cost savings (BETTER THAN EVERYONE BUY THEMSELF).

!!!! I DO NOT HAVE SINGLE ROOM - DON´T CALL ME IF YOU WANT SINGLE ROOM!!!!

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I dont get it, I really dont.

London's has turned into such a dump, the white British population, relative to the whole population has damn near halved in the last 20 years, and yet foreign types cant get enough of it (even though the ad is in english the poster seems to be called 'josef' so chances are he's a foreigner). What kind of hellhole did they come from to willingly accept this? Do they have soviet fantasties about a half dozen families sharing a squalid apartment with lots of joyous mishaps over whose drawer is whose?

I cant even begin to understand the mentality that would accept this.

HOLA446

Its called money and the opportunity to earn it.

Seems like a bargain to me

Its not bad, a friend is paying a bit more than that sharing 9 to a room in a hostel.

Edited by Peter Hun

HOLA447

London's has turned into such a dump, the white British population, relative to the whole population has damn near halved in the last 20 years, and yet foreign types cant get enough of it (even though the ad is in english the poster seems to be called 'josef' so chances are he's a foreigner). What kind of hellhole did they come from to willingly accept this? Do they have soviet fantasties about a half dozen families sharing a squalid apartment with lots of joyous mishaps over whose drawer is whose?

When this is the alternative ...

article-2285796-18582730000005DC-186_964x576.jpg

HOLA448
HOLA449

The last place my son found to live was a shared flat in Shadwell where the rooms were let individually with shared kitchen and bathroom. He was the only Brit there. The rest were Spanish/Italian/Chinese over here because they couldn't get jobs at home (some were graduates and couples) and no-one stayed long. LL collected rent in cash each month and rent included bills. More than £500 pcm for a poky room which was damp and mouldy. All bit dodgy but there are plenty more like it (and much worse) in London. LLs are coining it in on the backs of people new to the country and prepared to put up with anything.

HOLA4410

The last place my son found to live was a shared flat in Shadwell where the rooms were let individually with shared kitchen and bathroom. He was the only Brit there. The rest were Spanish/Italian/Chinese over here because they couldn't get jobs at home (some were graduates and couples) and no-one stayed long. LL collected rent in cash each month and rent included bills. More than £500 pcm for a poky room which was damp and mouldy. All bit dodgy but there are plenty more like it (and much worse) in London. LLs are coining it in on the backs of people new to the country and prepared to put up with anything.

These Rachmans need flogging :angry:

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I guess the area must be 'booming' as there is a job advertisment for a beauty therapist next to it.

Perhaps I could move to London, become a beauty therapist and rent a room. Mind you I may have to learn an Inidan accent and paint myself brown to qualify for the shared double bed.

HOLA4414

I guess the area must be 'booming' as there is a job advertisment for a beauty therapist next to it.

Perhaps I could move to London, become a beauty therapist and rent a room. Mind you I may have to learn an Inidan accent and paint myself brown to qualify for the shared double bed.

I doubt a beauty therapist would earn enough to pay for a 'bunk' without housing benefit at least.

HOLA4415

this all reminds me of how 'accommodation' was in the late 60s early 70s in London. As a graduate working my first job - it was a bedsit with a gas ring and shared bathroom etc or a shared flat (usually mixed) with other 'young professionals'. - but even in those unenlightened times a bunk bed in a shared room (unless by choice) would have been a step too far :o

HOLA4416

I'd bet the house on it being a foreigner

smell to the toilet

HOLA4417

Seems like a bargain to me, especially if there's somewhere to store your flip-flops, Adidas tracksuit trousers, and your Aldi carrier bag. ;)

I genuinely think so! Those of you with the angry hat on - this is 235 per month ALL IN, in London. If someone doesn't mind the shared room situation - what's the problem? To be honest, at that price I would have seriously considered it in my early 20's, I think a lot of the posters on here now are getting worked up over things they really shouldn't.

Plenty of people room share at Uni - and I bet a lot of them are paying a damn sight more than that for accomodation that is substandard compared to what looks to be on offer there.

edit - I didn't even notice that it also includes a lot of other things like loo roll, washing powder etc. Whoever is offering that room sounds like a damn good landlord! And as for the not even thinly veiled racial stereotyping on this thread, I completely despair.

Edited by Frugal Git

HOLA4418

And as for the not even thinly veiled racial stereotyping on this thread, I completely despair.

Not really. I think it is safe to conclude that English probably isn't the first language and they probably haven't picked up common terms yet - therefore likely to be a foreigner - and therefore also probably 'good accommodation if you are working London for a spell'. - perhaps as a gap year, for example or on a short visa.

By "Smell to the toilet" the advertiser probably means "Air Freshener". It's not a spelling mistake or grammatical error, it's the wrong expression.

I wouldn't say it is racial stereotyping.

HOLA4419

Not really. I think it is safe to conclude that English probably isn't the first language and they probably haven't picked up common terms yet - therefore likely to be a foreigner - and therefore also probably 'good accommodation if you are working London for a spell'. - perhaps as a gap year, for example or on a short visa.

By "Smell to the toilet" the advertiser probably means "Air Freshener". It's not a spelling mistake or grammatical error, it's the wrong expression.

I wouldn't say it is racial stereotyping.

That maybe not, but....

that very much is.

HOLA4420

I genuinely think so! Those of you with the angry hat on - this is 235 per month ALL IN, in London. If someone doesn't mind the shared room situation - what's the problem? To be honest, at that price I would have seriously considered it in my early 20's, I think a lot of the posters on here now are getting worked up over things they really shouldn't.

Plenty of people room share at Uni - and I bet a lot of them are paying a damn sight more than that for accomodation that is substandard compared to what looks to be on offer there.

edit - I didn't even notice that it also includes a lot of other things like loo roll, washing powder etc. Whoever is offering that room sounds like a damn good landlord! And as for the not even thinly veiled racial stereotyping on this thread, I completely despair.

Playing the racist card doesn't mean that people aren't justified in feeling aggrieved by this situation.

Every flat divided up and rented out on a per-bed basis to immigrants means one less flat for a British person to live in at a decent level of existence. There is a virtually unlimited number of people in the world for whom a bed-share in London is a step up. Allowing so many of them to move here is an unmitigated disaster for low-income people in this country. Call that racist if you want. I think doing so says a lot more about the type of person you are than anything else.

HOLA4421

Playing the racist card doesn't mean that people aren't justified in feeling aggrieved by this situation.

Every flat divided up and rented out on a per-bed basis to immigrants means one less flat for a British person to live in at a decent level of existence. There is a virtually unlimited number of people in the world for whom a bed-share in London is a step up. Allowing so many of them to move here is an unmitigated disaster for low-income people in this country. Call that racist if you want. I think doing so says a lot more about the type of person you are than anything else.

Classic. Yes, that's what I was doiing. Playing a card, not pointing out it was to be fair not entirely unreasonable accomodation for the money. The writer saying he would have to paint his face brown to qualify to live there is a paragon of virtue compared to me.

HOLA4422

Classic. Yes, that's what I was doiing. Playing a card, not pointing out it was to be fair not entirely unreasonable accomodation for the money. The writer saying he would have to paint his face brown to qualify to live there is a paragon of virtue compared to me.

Hmm, using the "correct" language vs happily consigning your countrymen to life of third-world poverty. Yeah, sounds really virtuous to me.

HOLA4423

Hmm, using the "correct" language vs happily consigning your countrymen to life of third-world poverty. Yeah, sounds really virtuous to me.

Making a reasonable point about accomodation being divided up and pricing out locals is completely fine (though I still maintain that it looks like perfectly decent accomodation if it suits the person renting it). Stating that you would have to 'brown up' to get in is somewhat farcical.

I'd also say your definition of third world poverty might need working on if you think a shared room with internet and included sanitary items and condiments makes the mark.

Keep justifying the casual slurs though. You're doing a wonderful job.

HOLA4424
Guest unfunded_liability

Things have got bad when people have to rent out a bunk bed and can't afford a room to themselves.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/flats-houses/female-double-room-with-bunk-bed-amazing-price-close-to-centre-just-one-place-left/1030941413#photo-content

I'd probably offer him £470 for the room to myself. Doesn't sound too bad a deal for London with bills included. And the toilet smells nice.

HOLA4425

I'd probably offer him £470 for the room to myself. Doesn't sound too bad a deal for London with bills included. And the toilet smells nice.

why would he take £470 when he can get far more with several in the room?

Edited by motch