House Price Crash Forum

Guru Needed

Byron

HOLA441

I have just bought a new lap top. It is much the same as my old one which uses Vista, the new one uses Windows 8

I can transfer all my stuff over using my external hard drive.

How do I transfer my emails?

I have saved them to a file and transferred the file.

The problem is that when I use 'import' on the new Windows mail, it faithfully opens the file and then parsimoniously transfers only one address. At this rate it will take until 2014 before I finish doing it because I have so many addresses (Club Secretary)

Also, any way of transferring all my favourites?

HOLA442

I thought it was simply a case of EXPORTING your mail and contacts to your desired drive, and IMPORTING them on the new kit.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-live/mail-import-backup-restore

In case of a business, I suggest Outlook by default as the export process is very easy into 1 file, the import the same, and that covers everything you do, mail, calendars and contacts...all in one fell swoop.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

really?

a problem like this is the kind that can be solved with a 1 minute search on google.

"teach a man to fish ..."

OK clever clogs, teach me.

I told you that it will not automatically import the whole of the contacts in one swoop.

Google is full of know alls who don't, also rip off US sites that don't work.

HOLA448

OK clever clogs, teach me.

I told you that it will not automatically import the whole of the contacts in one swoop.

Google is full of know alls who don't, also rip off US sites that don't work.

http://www.eightforums.com/browsers-mail/22442-importing-contacts-vistas-win-mail-windows-8-mail.html

try robinb9's solution.

i wasted a whole minute on this.

HOLA449

Thanks, I'll give it a go, but why do Microsh...t make it so difficult?

By now, you would think that they would have all these things just happen semi automatically.

Both computers are full of irritatingly 'helpful' things that I do not want

AND

As for my favourites?

I must make it clear that I do not have a clue about computers, nor do I want to know, they are just a tool, if my garden shears get blunt, there is a man who knows how to sharpen them etc.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

presumably you pay your little man for sharpening services.

Of course I do, also I paid for the new computer.

But the point is each to his own.

This forum is stuffed with IT people, probably because most work in London and that is where house prices give the most problems.

But there is a whole world outside IT, and those of us priviliged to be there do not need to know much about how computers work, anymore than we need to know how to turn a living cow into a pair of shoes, we just wear them.

HOLA4412

This forum is stuffed with IT people, probably because most work in London and that is where house prices give the most problems.

But there is a whole world outside IT, and those of us priviliged to be there do not need to know much about how computers work, anymore than we need to know how to turn a living cow into a pair of shoes, we just wear them.

Wot? Living cows? Do they come in 6 inch heels?

HOLA4413

In case of a business, I suggest Outlook by default as the export process is very easy into 1 file, the import the same, and that covers everything you do, mail, calendars and contacts...all in one fell swoop.

If you're not willing to pay for Outlook and/or have an ideological anti-Microsoft stance, Thunderbird is also very easy when it comes to exporting/importing email between computers. You simply copy the folder containing all the data. You can even do this between Windows and Linux if you like.

In fact, if I was the OP, I'd think seriously about installing Thunderbird on the old computer, importing everything into it from Outlook (it'll ask you and do this automatically when first run), copy the Thunderbird data folder onto removable media of some description, install Thunderbird on the new computer, then copy the data folder from the portable drive to the relevant place on the new computer.

The main drawback is that you'll have to negotiate the learning curve of Thunderbird, but it's not a big deal.

HOLA4414

Unfortunately computers are rather more complex than a pair of shoes, or even shears.

It could be worth bunging your local teenage geek a few notes to do it for you - if you aren't keen on learning (and who can blame you).

Reading between the lines, I suspect some posters are alluding to the fact that most people want IT help for free or more accurately someone to fix it for them (for free) as they have no interest in learning themselves.

Believe me there is nothing more dispiriting than spending several hours cleaning up the malware on a relative's computer because they surfed their favourite pron site - knowing you'll be repeating the sorry experience in a couple of months time.

For a time, I had some 'friends' who would only call me for IT help - and yet were strangely unavailable to offer any of their own in their area of expertise. Now I don't pick up their calls.

And I avoid mentioning any IT expertise during social occasions.

HOLA4415

If you're not willing to pay for Outlook and/or have an ideological anti-Microsoft stance, Thunderbird is also very easy when it comes to exporting/importing email between computers. You simply copy the folder containing all the data. You can even do this between Windows and Linux if you like.

In fact, if I was the OP, I'd think seriously about installing Thunderbird on the old computer, importing everything into it from Outlook (it'll ask you and do this automatically when first run), copy the Thunderbird data folder onto removable media of some description, install Thunderbird on the new computer, then copy the data folder from the portable drive to the relevant place on the new computer.

The main drawback is that you'll have to negotiate the learning curve of Thunderbird, but it's not a big deal.

Actually, that is what I hope to do, or at least my SiL will do it for me. The old computer got infected by Zero Access. We cannot re-install because the DVD drive broke ages ago and I have been using an external hard drive.

HOLA4416

yep, thunderbird is a good alternative for the Outlook express type user...which would be the OP.

Archived