House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bendy

Would He Still Be Hungry?

In my half inebriated dream state this morning I was thinking if the guy from 12:01 would be hungry when the clock resets!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCB0wRTpyRE

In short for those who don't know, this is a time loop short movie - the clock resets every hour so that it is 12:01 again, hence lunchtime. His consciousness realises that time is repeating itself. Now what would happen to your hormone levels (like ghrelin etc.) if you ate but then returned to a state where you had an empty stomach again?

I believe this need looking at in more detail!

In my half inebriated dream state this morning I was thinking if the guy from 12:01 would be hungry when the clock resets!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCB0wRTpyRE

In short for those who don't know, this is a time loop short movie - the clock resets every hour so that it is 12:01 again, hence lunchtime. His consciousness realises that time is repeating itself. Now what would happen to your hormone levels (like ghrelin etc.) if you ate but then returned to a state where you had an empty stomach again?

I believe this need looking at in more detail!

Putting on my Trekker and Stargate hat.

If the loop resets then one of two things happens with him:

1. He is part of the loop and hence, like everyone and everything else, he goes back to the start of the loop and starts all over again.

2. He is outside of the loop and hence, whilst everyone and everything goes back to the start of the loop, etc, he is aware of the loop and can act independently to the loop. This means that he - ALL of him - is this way. You would not have a situation where part of him is inside the loop and part of him is outside.

You could have part of you enter, accidentally, an area of Time that is moving faster or slower than the Time around it - for example, you might stick your hand into an area where Time is moving faster and hence you watch your hand age rapidly whilst the rest of you is still in normal Time. Of course, that depends on where you think normal Time is

In the case of your chap he is either completely in or outside of the loop.

You need to watch every single episode of Star Trek and Stargate - then go and watch them 50 times more.

Putting on my Trekker and Stargate hat.

If the loop resets then one of two things happens with him:

1. He is part of the loop and hence, like everyone and everything else, he goes back to the start of the loop and starts all over again.

2. He is outside of the loop and hence, whilst everyone and everything goes back to the start of the loop, etc, he is aware of the loop and can act independently to the loop. This means that he - ALL of him - is this way. You would not have a situation where part of him is inside the loop and part of him is outside.

You could have part of you enter, accidentally, an area of Time that is moving faster or slower than the Time around it - for example, you might stick your hand into an area where Time is moving faster and hence you watch your hand age rapidly whilst the rest of you is still in normal Time. Of course, that depends on where you think normal Time is

In the case of your chap he is either completely in or outside of the loop.

You need to watch every single episode of Star Trek and Stargate - then go and watch them 50 times more.

FFS, we already discussed this a couple of hours ago.

So his consiousness is not part of his physical being? Interesting.

This is where I'm struggling, is there a physical and er, another... consciousness?

Watch the film !! He says himself that no matter what he eats he will be starving again at 12.01

Anyway interesting film - never seen it before.

the point of the story is that it apparently isn't.

What is it then? The holey feckin spirit?

Of course memory and consciousness are physical. Notice when happens to them when you chop someone's brain into little bits.

This is where I'm struggling, is there a physical and er, another... consciousness?

This is the BIG metaphysical question of the moment isn't it - what is consciousness and where does it reside.

A friend of mine who is considered an expert in this field informs me that the latest thinking is that it is not the brain - or not just in the brain.

What is it then? The holey feckin spirit?

Of course memory and consciousness are physical. Notice when happens to them when you chop someone's brain into little bits.

What does happen to them?

Chopping up the brain into tiny little bits wouldn't prove that consciousness is purely physical. No more than smashing a television set would prove all the programs were inside the tele.

What does happen to them?

Chopping up the brain into tiny little bits wouldn't prove that consciousness is purely physical. No more than smashing a television set would prove all the programs were inside the tele.

Hmmm, I understand what you mean but am troubled by that metaphor.

A TV set - even though ostensibly it radiates knowledge - has no feelings of its own, nor has it any way of expressing consciousness. It is constrained by its master - the transmitter.

A human brain, however, has discrete and unique thoughts, which are irrevocably curtailed and paralysed when it is chopped into little bits. Whether these thoughts are partially physical, if at all, is arguable.

Apologies- I've been watching too much Shelly Kagan!! :rolleyes:

Isn't our conciousness just riding around on the train tracks that form our brain?

If you chop up the tracks you don't destroy the passengers, they just don't get to work?

He will be hungry if the tracks were reset, and not hungry if they weren't.

Isn't our conciousness just riding around on the train tracks that form our brain?

If you chop up the tracks you don't destroy the passengers, they just don't get to work?

He will be hungry if the tracks were reset, and not hungry if they weren't.

Around the time of Troy - about 3,000 years ago - and going back to the early Egyptians the idea of the self, which we would now consider to be conciousness, was thought to be in the groin/bowels area. The Egyptians thought the brain was worthless and would remove it as part of the mummification process.

About 2,000 to 2,500 years ago the idea of the self moved up a bit towards the gut area - partly due to stabbing a man there with a sword or knife killed him.

Then the idea of the self moved up to the heart area where it basically stayed up until the last 100 years or so.

Now, they are beginning to think it is somewhere else.

forget being hungry, after 6 months or so fellows who saw him the day before would be amazed at his hair growth overnight,.