House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Germans Export Grandma To Poland As Costs, Care Converge

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-16/germans-export-grandma-to-poland-as-costs-care-converge.html

Sonja Miskulin has forgotten her beloved cat, Pooki. She can’t remember whether she has grandchildren and has no memory of her nine-hour journey one recent Sunday to forever leave behind her home in Germany.

Suffering from dementia, the wheelchair-bound former translator celebrated her 94th birthday in a Polish nursing home last month. Her daughter sent her there in a bid for a better life and more affordable care.

I wonder how often her caring family visit with a 9 hour drive?

If she has no recollection of any of her family, is it worth their effort to visit? She would be happier with the professional staff to chat to.

This may be a consequence of so many Germans renting their homes. Unless they also have large savings, anyone with a house here will very likely have to sell it to fund care. I don't know what it's like in Germany, but here, if you don't have the ' luxury' of being able to self fund, you are at the mercy of social services who will so often deny residential care long past the point where family are on their knees from trying to cope with dementia. So if the family needs to fund it from limited resources, it's no wonder they will look for a cheaper alternative.

My mother hasn't a clue who any of her children are any more, but we still visit. Her care home is very good, but it's still as well for staff to know you are liable to pop in at any time.

I recall one of Mr. Parry's business ideas was elderly care in Pattaya (Thailand). I can see it now - Grandad takes another day trip to the gogo bars :D

Send them somewhere warm .. that makes sense.

I recall one of Mr. Parry's business ideas was elderly care in Pattaya (Thailand). I can see it now - Grandad takes another day trip to the gogo bars :D

I've already told my kids that if ever I need to go into a care home, they are to send me to a 3rd world brothel. :)

I've already told my kids that if ever I need to go into a care home, they are to send me to a 3rd world brothel. :)

Nurse, the screens!

Seriously, my grand on one side had dementia and no way am I going that way. sleeping pills and a boat with a timed leak, or something else.

Nurse, the screens!

Seriously, my grand on one side had dementia and no way am I going that way. sleeping pills and a boat with a timed leak, or something else.

I just got in my Time machine and went and watched it. It was fab. The music was a nice touch.

Edit:

Hope he wasn't just having 40 winks.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

Where is Mr Parry? :unsure:

I believe he won a complete ladyboy transformation package on the Thai equivalent of 'Who Wants To Be a Millionaire Ladyboy?'.

:blink: really.... not being cared for then? ;)

Poles are buying property over the border in Germany as its cheaper than in Poland. Well, in the old East Germany.

The nine hour drive suggests they Grandma is from West Germany.

Poles are buying property over the border in Germany as its cheaper than in Poland. Well, in the old East Germany.

The nine hour drive suggests they Grandma is from West Germany.

Spreading the magic gift of HPI eh. No doubt they learnt the craft in the UK / Eire <_<