House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Half Of Uk Would Rather Live Under Roman Rule Than Today's Government

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/429595/Half-of-UK-would-rather-live-under-Roman-rule-than-today-s-Government

A study found 46 per cent of the UK would happily vote for Roman rule instead of today's political parties.

At the heart of this is the belief that we'd be better off, healthier and happier if policies and laws from over 2,000 years ago were implemented now.

In the research, 2,000 Brits were shown a series of ancient political policies secretly based on those from Roman emperors, including Julius Caesar.

And many of these found favour.

Popular policies included doubling the number of public holidays (57 per cent) and free entry to national sporting events (56 per cent).

Other promises from the ancient past that struck a chord with Brits were banning cars from cities on a weekend (76 per cent) and encouraging immigrants who embrace the local culture (57 per cent).

The abolition of income tax, which Roman Emperor Nero enforced, was supported by 44 per cent of Brits.

This would save the average UK worker 3,444.80 pounds.

Other Roman policies favoured by modern Brits include a free water supply (66 per cent), which would typically save 388 pounds.

Done to promote a new video game but it appears rule under the Romans appears more appealing than the current idiots we have in charge. No figures on support for crucifixion though.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/429595/Half-of-UK-would-rather-live-under-Roman-rule-than-today-s-Government

Done to promote a new video game but it appears rule under the Romans appears more appealing than the current idiots we have in charge. No figures on support for crucifixion though.

Quoting from the Mail was bad enough, but you've sunk to a new low now IRRO. :unsure:

:P

Hmmm...not sure Roman rule was always best.

What about exposing unwanted babies, summary execution, trial without a defence, no welfare state for the weak and constant war? I think now is best.

What about exposing unwanted babies, summary execution, trial without a defence, no welfare state for the weak and constant war? I think now is best.

But there was welfare for the weak - slavery.

I never knew ancient Rome had that many cars . . .

They had a great mobile phone network too...no-one has ever found a Roman telephone pole or phone box.

There was welfare, and although the popular with the pleb's Julius Caesar, for one, tried to rein it in - the "dole".

I'm not sure about trial without defence or summary execution for citizens, that seems to have been slaves. Nowadays, we'd call them Iraqis. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_litigation

Constant war? That is different from now, in which way?

Well this thread has surprised me.

I'd have bet at least half a Dinari that we'd have had some "Life Of Brian" quotes posted by now...

XYY

If you think life for the average inhabitant under Roman Republic/Principate/Dominate authority was good, check out Invisible Romans: Invisible Romans: Prostitutes, Outlaws, Slaves, Gladiators, Ordinary Men and Women … the Romans that History Forgot, also I've also relatively recently read through Simon James' Rome and the Sword, where it mentioned the less wealthy citizens, provincials, and outcasts were often subjected to the daily abuse of capricious soldiers and local collaborators serving Roman authority, with humiliation, rape, extortion, torture and murder being quite arbitrarily inflicted.

People tend to just look at the lifestyles of the elite in the past and are probably thinking about those. Sure, they would've often been fairly comfortable, but the same is true for the elite now. If you're anyone else best to put up with the current system (although 50 years ago might've been rather better), at least you're not at any risk of starving or dying of plague and the ruling class has to at least work in a slightly roundabout way to screw you over. If no income tax goes hand-in-hand with only earning just enough to buy the occasional loaf of bread it's not really a better option. It's sad but lots of people would leap to vote for a party that promised zero tax and loads of benefits and services.

Well this thread has surprised me.

I'd have bet at least half a Dinari that we'd have had some "Life Of Brian" quotes posted by now...

Romanes eunt domus!

A bit tame compared to adopting Roman Law, but I've wondered myself what would happen if you simply deleted every single change made in the law for the last 50 or 60 years or so. (I think it would have to be after the welfare state and the NHS were established, so couldn't really go back any further)

Romanes eunt domus!

"Romanes??? ROMANES???" etc...

If Roman values were applied in that way in the UK there'd be coppers drawing their swords at chavs left, right and centre and every building in the land would be adorned with multiple iterations of 'I should HAVE ', 'yoU'RE a ****', etc... :rolleyes:

;)

Would I get to wear a nice hat with a brush on it?