House Price Crash Forum
rollover

Nick Clegg Rejects Housing Bubble Fear

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24099255

Lib Dem conference: Nick Clegg rejects housing bubble fear

Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg has rejected fears a government scheme to back mortgages will lead to another unsustainable house price bubble.

Business Secretary Vince Cable has warned the Help to Buy scheme will inflate prices in parts of the UK.

But Mr Clegg said "we are nowhere near" that and more houses need to be built.

He also told the BBC's Andrew Marr show he was willing to do a deal with Labour as well as the Tories in the event of a hung parliament.

Making the case for coalition government, he said his "only" preoccupation was to make sure the Liberal Democrats were in government again in 2015.

He said the UK needed Lib Dems in government because they would act as a moderating influence on the bigger parties.

A Labour government would "wreck" the recovery and Tories governing alone would produce a recovery that was "neither fair or stable".

Mr Clegg refused to be drawn on what his "red lines" might be in any coalition negotiations - the policies he "would die in a ditch for".

But he suggested the party's "signature policy" would continue to be taking the low-paid out of income tax and his aim would be to ensure everybody on the minimum wage paid "no income tax".

He said his message to voters at the 2015 general election would be: "We have done a good job in government. Let us finish the job - and finish the job fairly."

I have some news for you Nick - we're in a bubble - and if you can't see it you're a delusional fool.

He waffled on about prices, outside of Kensington and Chelsea, being lower than they were at the peak, conveniently forgetting the pre-existing bubble.

This seems to be the standard government line.... "Bubble, what bubble".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24099255

Lib Dem conference: Nick Clegg rejects housing bubble fear

Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg has rejected fears a government scheme to back mortgages will lead to another unsustainable house price bubble.

Business Secretary Vince Cable has warned the Help to Buy scheme will inflate prices in parts of the UK.

But Mr Clegg said "we are nowhere near" that and more houses need to be built.

He also told the BBC's Andrew Marr show he was willing to do a deal with Labour as well as the Tories in the event of a hung parliament.

Making the case for coalition government, he said his "only" preoccupation was to make sure the Liberal Democrats were in government again in 2015.

He said the UK needed Lib Dems in government because they would act as a moderating influence on the bigger parties.

A Labour government would "wreck" the recovery and Tories governing alone would produce a recovery that was "neither fair or stable".

Mr Clegg refused to be drawn on what his "red lines" might be in any coalition negotiations - the policies he "would die in a ditch for".

But he suggested the party's "signature policy" would continue to be taking the low-paid out of income tax and his aim would be to ensure everybody on the minimum wage paid "no income tax".

He said his message to voters at the 2015 general election would be: "We have done a good job in government. Let us finish the job - and finish the job fairly."

I have some news for you Nick - we're in a bubble - and if you can't see it you're a delusional fool.

I know party conference speeches are really only for internal consumption, but it is downright hilarious to see Clegg talking about 'red lines' on policy, when the party has a record in Government to examine against the last manifesto's 'red lines'.

The housing comments are now getting serious. Any politicos denying a bubble should be outed as menaces to society and given a 'housing ASBO'.

You guys are missing the point, Nick has highlighted the main problem facing the future generations in the UK that could wreck the recovery. And what's more Nick has the solution ... people will need to pay 5p for all those millions of plastic bags. Cameron, Osborne, Millipede, Carney and Farage don't even have a workable policy on plastic bags.

Clegg has also increased uni fees and so has fixed yet another massive problem. Apparently there are some minor issues around housing and 1,000,000 young unemployed, inflation and immigration but at least the main issue of plastic bags is sorted.

Well said! Only last week I peeped out of my cardboard box that had wedged itself into the gutter and saw a wild, feral plastic bag blowing down the empty boarded up high street. I think these things are breeding now.

Edited by XswampyX

Well said! Only last week I peeped out of my cardboard box that had wedged itself into the gutter and saw a wild, feral plastic bag blowing down the empty boarded up high street. I think these things are breeding now.

you are coming at it from the wrong perspective

The libs are falling apart, how can any liberal keep a straight face when introducing a policy that outlaws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHxi-HSgNPc?showinfo=0

Disgusting impingement on the liberty and freedom of bags, Bags need love too

Edited by Maria Gorska

Paddy Pantsdown, still staring at the sun.

In terms that will alarm some on the left of his party, who resent working with the Conservatives, the former Lib Dem leader admits that he was wrong to have pushed so hard for a deal with Labour after the 2010 election, when Nick Clegg was moving towards the Tories. "I was wrong and Nick was right," he says.

Speaking to the Observer ahead of the Lib Dems' conference in Glasgow, Ashdown says that, "broadly speaking", the coalition "has been a success", and that dealing with the "hated" Tories has been a lot easier than he had imagined. While insisting he still has "no idea" what David Cameron stands for, and stressing that Labour may turn out to be equally decent partners in a future centre-left coalition,

Reading between the lines, I think he was suggesting HTB2 would give confidence to homebuilders to keep on building. Therefore, I expect the policy to be downgraded to only new build, as current policy is.

Nice to know what the deputy PM will be focusing on over the next 2 years.

He said the UK needed Lib Dems in government because they would act as a moderating influence on the bigger parties, telling Andrew Marr coalition was "much better than either the left or the right messing things up on their own all over again".

Yes, much better if the Lib Dems mess up with them.

What a complete bell-end.

He needs to prepare for a change in career in a couple of years. Probably piling into property as we speak.

Well paid EU job beckons. As if he cares.

He needs to prepare for a change in career in a couple of years. Probably piling into property as we speak.

might I suggest one...maybe corrections facility sanitation executive( chief soap-picker-upper for the wormwood scrubs shower users :P )

Paddy Pantsdown, still staring at the sun.

yes still badly misjudged the mood of the country.

next coalition will be centre-right.

and it needs to be CENTRE-RIGHT...NOW.

if we have any more leftisist for much longer, it will provoke a knee-jerk over reaction to FAR RIGHT.....and we really,really must avoid this at all costs.

sadly paddy pantsdown was one of the lib dems I actually had a bit of respect for...I think he just lost it.

So Nick Clegg thinks it's all about lack of supply, while advocating....

Unlimited mass immigration

Encouraging the Buy2Let epidemic

Allowing 2nd homes and holiday homes.

I wonder what he thinks has caused the huge demand?