House Price Crash Forum

Hitchens On Polymer Bank Notes

pjw

HOLA441

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/

So we are to get horrible slithery plastic banknotes. I’ve used them in Australia and I can tell you, you won’t like them.

This is to stop them wearing out so fast. I don’t mind the tatty notes. I mind the way they lose their value so quickly. If they could find a way to stop that, I’d be keen

Yup - it's the value that wears out, owing to monetary shenanigans - much faster than the paper itself wears out.

HOLA442

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/

Yup - it's the value that wears out, owing to monetary shenanigans - much faster than the paper itself wears out.

I've used them in Australia, they're not so bad. Why is everyone getting worked up about this? There are far more important things for journalists to investigate in this corrupt isle.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Guest TheBlueCat

I've used them in Australia, they're not so bad. Why is everyone getting worked up about this? There are far more important things for journalists to investigate in this corrupt isle.

Agreed, we have them in Canada too and they're fine. It even saved me some money when I accidentally machine washed a few - they came out entirely unscathed unlike the paper ones which would have been ruined I expect.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

In another article the lib dems bemoan how the NMW is worth less now than in 2006, and blame it on companies.

W

T

F

How is it companies fault they and the BoE have decided do debase the currency so that in 2009 a litre of unleaded fell to 80p and today its 140p?

They dont call it the inflation tax for no reason. Hits the poor most too. Nice one Clegg.

HOLA4412

If its such a non-issue, forget journalists, why are politicians bothering about it?

How many complaints do you think your MP has had about the 'paper construction of banknotes'?

Why arent they spending their time on issues people actually care about.

If ever politicians do something that isnt vigorously publicly lobbied, you can bet there is some kind of nefarious issue behind it. Maybe Gidiot has shares in the producer of these abominations.

HOLA4413

Polymer banknotes cost 50% more to produce, but because they last longer plastic works out 25% cheaper, but this only works if inflation stays low enough that they don't need to print larger denomination notes during the 10 year lifetime of the plastic - the Zimbabwe billion dollar notes were all printed on paper.

HOLA4414

Polymer banknotes cost 50% more to produce, but because they last longer plastic works out 25% cheaper, but this only works if inflation stays low enough that they don't need to print larger denomination notes during the 10 year lifetime of the plastic - the Zimbabwe billion dollar notes were all printed on paper.

It's okay, if we do go hyperinflationary, just print (or would it be mould) more money to pay for the extra printing. Jobsagoodun.