House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

davidg

Sweat Of Your Brow

I've just spent several days filling in an HR test (it was supposed to take a couple of hours) of hundreds of questions. One of which was "You earn a crust by the sweat of your brow". You are supposed to rate each question from 1 (strongly disagree) to 10 (agree). I gave this one 3 as obviously you can earn a crust by hard work but lots of people earn a lot more by doing nothing much at all.

I've just spent several days filling in an HR test (it was supposed to take a couple of hours) of hundreds of questions. One of which was "You earn a crust by the sweat of your brow". You are supposed to rate each question from 1 (strongly disagree) to 10 (agree). I gave this one 3 as obviously you can earn a crust by hard work but lots of people earn a lot more by doing nothing much at all.

Do you think it meant you personally, or one in general?

Do you think it meant you personally, or one in general?

Well it is a standard questionnaire so I guess it is nothing personal, just a psyche evaluation.

You overcome the test by working out the agenda behind the test.

That question is designed to work out if you are a drone who will slave for the company so you answer yes. If it is to figure out whether you are a bright spark then the answer would be no. What do you think they want to know - whether you are a drone or an individual? I suspect they want drones.

That question is designed to work out if you are a drone who will slave for the company so you answer yes. If it is to figure out whether you are a bright spark then the answer would be no. What do you think they want to know - whether you are a drone or an individual? I suspect they want drones.

Either way 3 is a safe answer!

A company will want both drones and bright sparks to work hard. Surely the "correct" answer to this is 10/10.

Answer 5 to everything. If they ask you why you did that shrug your shoulders and mumble "I don't know".

The Office - Keith's Performance Appraisal

Brent: "If 'Dont Know' wasn't there, what would you put?"

I've just spent several days filling in an HR test (it was supposed to take a couple of hours) of hundreds of questions.

Did it also include: "You are walking in the desert and you see a tortoise on its back. It's struggling to turn over. Why won't you help it?"

Did it also include: "You are walking in the desert and you see a tortoise on its back. It's struggling to turn over. Why won't you help it?"

Which desert?

Um..

...because it's a land mine.

...because, if I got it on it's feet, it would follow me everywhere.

...because it's just sunbathing

...because I'm a Replicant.

Unless you're doing manual labour I don't see how you can agree with that statement or maybe I'm being too literal minded. I work pretty long hours for example, but the last time I sweated in the course of my job was when the lifts failed and I had to walk up 15 flights of stairs to get to the office.

Um..

...because it's a land mine.

...because, if I got it on it's feet, it would follow me everywhere.

...because it's just sunbathing

...because I'm a Replicant.

Last one I'd guess.

I've just spent several days filling in an HR test (it was supposed to take a couple of hours) of hundreds of questions. One of which was "You earn a crust by the sweat of your brow".

my dad would have said so, but then he was a baker.

the indignities one has to undergo these days to get a job!

I fill in all the HR stuff with don't know / would prefer not to answer. All it is box-ticking so they can say they've done the surveys and received 100% completed. The fact that half of them have no meaningful data is irrelevant as all they're going to do with them is print a few pie charts and add some bland commentary.

I openly do this and only one commented on by people is sexuality "So you don't put down that you're heterosexual, HR might think that you're gay". When I know the people in HR so they're not going to think that, some people are a tad insecure IMO.

I would though

I fill in all the HR stuff with don't know / would prefer not to answer. All it is box-ticking so they can say they've done the surveys and received 100% completed. The fact that half of them have no meaningful data is irrelevant as all they're going to do with them is print a few pie charts and add some bland commentary.

I openly do this and only one commented on by people is sexuality "So you don't put down that you're heterosexual, HR might think that you're gay". When I know the people in HR so they're not going to think that, some people are a tad insecure IMO.

Never had to do one of those, thank god (if there is one)

although just about everything I have to sign for now at work I do random squiggles for all signatures, never been pulled up on it.

Which desert?

It doesn't matter. It's completely hypothetical...

OT but I've only just this moment made the connection between Google (Android) Nexus devices and the Tyrell Corporation product line :ph34r:

Never done one of these - is there a reliable method of ticking the boxes?

They are increasingly popular with HR folk. You may have 100 questions, what you notice is there are 10 basic questions phrased in different ways, so if you fill in all 5 say or a random pattern this will usually be obvious to the marker. Of course if you don't care about the result that's ok.

A new start at our office was telling us that she had to fill in an 'equality and diversity' questionnaire as part of her recruitment process.

Presumably this will be on its way to existing staff in some form soon. This kind of bull piddles me off no end. What exactly is the point of it? Other than a box ticking exercise obviously.

I have had to do surveys in the past (regarding parking/facilities or whatever) and towards the end is always a series of what I think are pointless questions regarding age/ethnic background/sexuality etc.

I don't really give a toss what anyone's ethnic/sexual/age background is so long as they are doing their job. It seems to me that the lefty agenda that is dominant just now just cant help itself by recording all this spurious information in order to create and keep a raft for ducking pointless jobs.

A new start at our office was telling us that she had to fill in an 'equality and diversity' questionnaire as part of her recruitment process.

Presumably this will be on its way to existing staff in some form soon. This kind of bull piddles me off no end. What exactly is the point of it? Other than a box ticking exercise obviously.

I have had to do surveys in the past (regarding parking/facilities or whatever) and towards the end is always a series of what I think are pointless questions regarding age/ethnic background/sexuality etc.

I don't really give a toss what anyone's ethnic/sexual/age background is so long as they are doing their job. It seems to me that the lefty agenda that is dominant just now just cant help itself by recording all this spurious information in order to create and keep a raft for ducking pointless jobs.

I did do some work for a company a few years ago where the lady in charge (sort off) was getting us to do questionaires for her from the Public. Not my cup of tea really and one of the other guys I was with was loving doing it all and spent ages getting responses from people, the lady then changed the responses/making her own up to suit her agenda :D

Tortoise? What's that?