House Price Crash Forum

Bye-Bye Chancers In Cheap Suits

ticket2ride

HOLA441

Bye-bye chancers in cheap suits, hello high-flyers: a new look for estate agents

Not so long ago estate agents could be conveniently stereotyped as sharp-eyed chancers in bargain suits.

Now the newly re-booming industry is just as likely to be populated by the likes of Susie Robinson, an archaeology and anthropology graduate who abandoned the world of TV to sell homes in Wimbledon.

The 29-year-old, whose varied career saw her dig on Channel 4's Time Team programme and present travel documentaries in east Africa before joining Winkworth in south-west London, is among the 77,000 people who swelled the massed ranks of estate agents last year

Speculation in the comments that this downwardly mobile high flyer maybe related to the Graun editor.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Isn't that just a miss-allocation of a valuable resource, brought on by money printing and speculative bubbles?

It's also indicative of the lack of opportunities in other fields. Kids priced out of the professional further education (law, medical etc.), less companies making or doing real things - the only ones making any money are cash for gold, legal class action tele-canvassing, pay day lending, etc.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Surprise, surprise. Graduates in disciplines where there has never been much realistic chance of getting a proper job related to something they've spent 3-4 years studying find an alternative career path. It was ever the same; they used to end up as teachers.

Sadly, estate agency work is just an economically unproductive job instead of doing something productive or socially beneficial. I'm sure they'll feel waves of job satisfaction washing over them.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

If you have no relevant qualifications or ability, you too can be an Estate Agent - morons accepted.

I had thought there was a very strict requirement for inventive spelling, so they can litter their blurbs with shower cubicals and flower boarders. A fondness for 'boasting' would also surely be a plus, not to mention 'stunning' as applied to every flat that isn't absolutely a squalid hellhole.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Now the newly re-booming industry.....?

what were those sales figures again?

Some 25,000 new estate agent jobs were created in the three months to June. Some firms boosting their surveyor numbers (including one doing an intake of 30 or 60 depending how your read it). Does each surveyor pay subs to RICS? Perhaps that's why they launched their inquiry in July.

Countrywide’s recruitment drive comes in the wake of widespread concern about a lack of valuers in housing market hotspots. In July, the problem became so acute that RICS launched an inquiry.

The market tends to ready itself for future activity. Either HTB2 helping people to pay higher prices and transactions up, or a tipping point to HPC and transactions up, in my opinion.

HOLA4412

Hmm,another body to the sales grinding machine.

Job maybe EA, TV sales, insurance sales, bond sales, share sales ,whatever. It does matter that much; the script is the same:

Fresh recruit turns up.

Told they can earn $$$$$$$$$$.

Stats job.

Earns $/8

Sacked/leaves.

Next!

I'll believe this EA Poof pieces when I see any in the offices down my local EA stretch.

Its not all Rightmove. B.gger all sales so b.gger all work so b.gger all money so b.gger all EAs.

HOLA4413

Some 25,000 new estate agent jobs were created in the three months to June. Some firms boosting their surveyor numbers (including one doing an intake of 30 or 60 depending how your read it). Does each surveyor pay subs to RICS? Perhaps that's why they launched their inquiry in July.

The market tends to ready itself for future activity. Either HTB2 helping people to pay higher prices and transactions up, or a tipping point to HPC and transactions up, in my opinion.

and....the survey says?....likely lots of malinvestment caused by Government forcing incorrect market signals...

HOLA4414