House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Shoppers In England To Be Charged For Plastic Bags

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/sep/14/shoppers-england-5p-charge-plastic-bags

Shoppers will have to pay a 5p charge on every plastic bag they use in plans to be announced by Nick Clegg.

The deputy prime minister will unveil the move at the Liberal Democrat conference in Glasgow next week.

The charge will come into effect in autumn 2015 after the next general election and will bring England into line with other parts of the UK.

Charges are already in place in Wales, where there has been a 76% fall in plastic bag use since it was introduced in 2011, and Northern Ireland, with Scotland to follow suit next year. The charge has been in place in the Republic of Ireland since 2002.

The charge will only apply to supermarkets and other large stores. Small corner shops will be excluded.

The proceeds will go to charities involved in clearing up the environmental damage caused by the bags rather than the government or the retailers.

Go short on firms producing plastic bags.

If this is so important why wait until after the election? Supermarkets to move to paper bags?

The phrase 'Nero fiddled whilst Rome burned' springs to mind.

This has been trailed as an announcement to be made at the Lib Conference..............................pathetic!!

If plastic bags are such an issue then provide biodegradable carrier bags.

Meanwhile back to the real world!

While spending £150 a week on my shopping I don't think I'm overly going to worry about spending an extra £1 on bags

Thats not really the point is it....Plastic S**** everywhere is an eyesore and just wastes resources because lazy proles can't be bothered to take any form of guardianship for the planet.

I would of gone further and taxed the wrappings on takeaway c*** as well.

Doesn't matter how much money you have wasting resources is crass.

Already pay for bags at Lidl, they supply decent ones which I re-use as often as possible.

The cost is more than made up for in savings when compared to Sainsbury, Tesco, etc.

The proceeds will go to charities involved in clearing up the environmental damage caused by the bags rather than the government or the retailers.

Apparently there are about 10 million plastic bags used each day in the UK so that's a revenue of £500,000 per day so getting on for about £200 million per year (in round figures). That's equivalent to the interest on a sum of about £4 billion pounds at an interest rate of say 5%.

For sure there's a problem of discarded plastic bags etc in some places but it's a fraction of the problem of a few years ago as most people do their bit (some don't of course) and the shops in the open and covered mall areas have generally taken it upon themselves to pick up plastic bags/litter in their areas or the malls' management does the job.

So who gets the £200 million per year. Is it the councils who are already supposed to clean the streets funded by council tax or does it go to some other "worthy" cause. Which "charities"?

£200 million per year is a fraction of the banks bail-out money but it's still a hefty amount of money.

And what about all the plastic bags shoved through every letter box in the land every day on behalf of ever more charities. That could easily amount to another several million plastic bags per day. Similarly there's all the advertising scam being delivered. What about all the unnecessary product wrapping. Why doesn't Clegg do something about all that as well.

Edited by billybong

Thats not really the point is it....Plastic S**** everywhere is an eyesore and just wastes resources because lazy proles can't be bothered to take any form of guardianship for the planet.

I would of gone further and taxed the wrappings on takeaway c*** as well.

Doesn't matter how much money you have wasting resources is crass.

Well it is rather the point isn't it ... if the problem is "Plastic S**** everywhere" then ban "Plastic S****", but a 5p tax on "Plastic S****" is going to make no difference against the inflation increase in your weekly shop.

charities involved in clearing up the environmental damage caused by the bags? Maybe the directors of those "charities" can double their salaries from £100K to £200K, because "we're worth it and we care".

Well it is rather the point isn't it ... if the problem is "Plastic S**** everywhere" then ban "Plastic S****", but a 5p tax on "Plastic S****" is going to make no difference against the inflation increase in your weekly shop.

Wasn't talking about money i.e inflation. Were you? but got you. People are notoriously sensitive to perceived extra cost whilst ignoring as you say creeping inflation so it will work.

I wouldn't get on to the food is too expensive bandwagon though there are numerous threads on here about everyone can eat so much cheaper ;)

Lazy (fat) proles again

Why do they always only supply plastic bags...why not strong paper bags or another friendly cheap biodegradable suitable bag?........why don't they charge an entrance fee while they are at it. ;)

Ignorance of the crap they're pumping into the skies, this plastic bag thing is going to change the world (not).

Basically an advert for how overpaid politicians are. If they're going to play this inflationary crap at least stop taking an index linked salary and benefits.

Apparently there are about 10 million plastic bags used each day in the UK so that's a revenue of £500,000 per day so getting on for about £200 million per year (in round figures). That's equivalent to the interest on a sum of about £4 billion pounds at an interest rate of say 5%.

For sure there's a problem of discarded plastic bags etc in some places but it's a fraction of the problem of a few years ago as most people do their bit (some don't of course) and the shops in the open and covered mall areas have generally taken it upon themselves to pick up plastic bags/litter in their areas or the malls' management does the job.

So who gets the £200 million per year. Is it the councils who are already supposed to clean the streets funded by council tax or does it go to some other "worthy" cause. Which "charities"?

£200 million per year is a fraction of the banks bail-out money but it's still a hefty amount of money.

And what about all the plastic bags shoved through every letter box in the land every day on behalf of ever more charities. That could easily amount to another several million plastic bags per day. Similarly there's all the advertising scam being delivered. What about all the unnecessary product wrapping. Why doesn't Clegg do something about all that as well.

You could work for Government with that approach. Hell, if they charge £75 each then Govt spending could be derived entirely from bag sales.

Sadly those self service machines don't know how many bags you've taken? (The M&S asks you if you have taken a small bag-no charge or a large bag-5p charge). I also find if I use my own bag it needs to be authorised by a checkout supervisor and sometimes causes the machine to crash.

Edited by Ash4781

Who cares! The worlds going to s**t and we get 5p for plastic bags! What about a house to live in... you F**KS!!!

On a brighter note.

Edited by XswampyX

Who cares! The worlds going to s**t and we get 5p for plastic bags! What about a house to live in... you F**KS!!!

:o Wow, plastic bags! That's really been am important bugbear in my life (not). Plastic fantastic policy from a near dead party. Cardboard box tax next, when so many will be using them to live in. Long before we get something of substance implemented like the mansion tax (which in reality just requires an extra band of council tax).

Why can't we have council tax re banding anyway? One of the most unfair taxes that benefits the rich disproportionately... oh no, we'll rolling out the asset rich cash poor old granny story again. FFS, some body please DO SOMETHING! :angry:

I once put 500,000 carrier bags in landfill because the design printed on them had come out slightly wrong. I always enjoy telling witless morons that keep a folded up bag for life in their pockets about this.

Laughably pathetic, if that **** clegg is going to stand up and announce this like it means anything at all then it must be some kind of sick joke.

I will be all about refusing to pay after they have bagged my stuff up if they try this shit. I cycle to the shops, how about penalising the actual polluters instead of another tax on the working man.

I keep two IKEA blue bags in my car , makes lidl shopping well easy and keep up in speed , just drop in the bottom of the trolley ,car boot to house.

Can't say that I've heard a single person moan around the bag charge when out shopping , been chargable in Wales since Oct 2011

You don't get greener than putting plastic bags into landfill. This is carbon capture we should be encouraging it. Take oil out of ground use it and then put it back. Its a cycle.......