House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
apom

Little Town In Devon..

My perspective is a little skeywed...

I don't resent the person selling the house for as much as they can get..

I would do the same.. and hell.. buyer beware..

I resent the numbskull who thinks he is doing the right thing..

for example.. not the best town in Devon.. not by the sea.. and I know there are no good pubs.. (critical..)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-842...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

lol.. quality..

Devon, you have to understand I took a 30% wage drop to take a more senior role in devon when I left the south east.

We get paid terribly here..

but while there are people prepared to pay this for a property..

that would have been about £90,000 in 1999

not overpriced as people will buy them ?

dont you mean. rich people have decended on small devon towns like a pack of feeding sharks.

driving up prices far beyond that of local wages.

meanwhile, people have to find a way to buy them as there are no more around.

its not that they are accepting that prices are fair. its that or leave.

not overpriced as people will buy them ?

dont you mean. rich people have decended on small devon towns like a pack of feeding sharks.

driving up prices far beyond that of local wages.

meanwhile, people have to find a way to buy them as there are no more around.

its not that they are accepting that prices are fair. its that or leave.

Nope... for the most part its morons with massive interest only mortgages..

I live here.. I am 32 and I have no home..

You can't stop a moron from shopping.. :)

far beyond reach..?? damn right..

I earn the national average.. no small feat in Devon I can tell you.. can't afford sod all..

but its better to realise you can't afford a house before you borrow the money.. then after..

Look.. its a speculative market.. and some are too stupid to see that... mind you they are the same people who think that earning £17,000 makes a £160,000 interest only mortgage a spiffing idea..

I know people who have done this...

and its okay as they can rent out a room etc..

don't panic...

your loosinf perspective.. and all this is..

all this market revolves around is a loss of perspective.. on a large scale granted.. but it is a loss of perspective.

I struggle with mine..

Nope... for the most part its morons with massive interest only mortgages..

I live here.. I am 32 and I have no home..

far beyond reach..?? damn right..

I earn the national average.. no small feat in Devon I can tell you.. can't afford sod all..

but its better to realise you can't afford a house before you borrow the money.. then after..

Look.. its a speculative market.. and some are too stupid to see that... mind you they are the same people who think that earning £17,000 makes a £160,000 interest only mortgage a spiffing idea..

I know people who have done this...

and its okay as they can rent out a room etc..

don't panic...

your loosinf perspective.. and all this is..

all this market revolves around is a loss of perspective.. on a large scale granted.. but it is a loss of perspective.

I struggle with mine..

If you are 32 why didn't you buy a house in your mid twenties?

You have p!ssed >7 years' rent money away with nothing to show for it and now you are whinging.

Who stopped you from shopping during the 90s?

You have p!ssed >7 years' rent money away with nothing to show for it and now you are whinging.

yes apom...ha ha....you missed the boat. your just bitter that i made oodles from property.

now look at me in my sports car.....wheeee.....oh look out [CRASH]..

...help me apom...im burning......help me..

You have pissed >7 years' rent money away with nothing to show for it and now you are whinging.

And whatever happened to having a good time in your 20s? Travelling the world, studying to the highest level in your choosen career or changing careers a few times to find what you want to do with the rest of your life?

Or are we all just economic units to be controlled and set in competition with each other without any chance to experience life, smell the flowers and the rest?

As the song says,

The worms go in and the worms go out,

the ones that go in are lean and thin,

the ones that go out are fat and stout,

your nose fall in and your eyes fall out,

your brain comes tumbling down your snout.

Be merry my friends, be merry.

( Shane McGowan )

Unaffordable housing wont matter a jot at the end of it all. You have a lot to learn.

I didn't need a house then mate...

I missed the boat.. but there is another boat coming..

If you are trying to wind me up by suggesting I have missed the mid 90's bargains...

Well I had noticed.. and I am grinning when I write this..

Why am I grinning...

I will have a home paid for by the time I retire.. Just witing for my boat..

and I have pissed large sums of money away.. rent making a small proportion of it..

Fast women and slow horses accoutn for far more.. ;)

It's nothing to get stressed about.. and if you think I am whinging...?

I have a beautiful girlfriend.. (a miracle)

I have great friends..

I have a great job...

I have two motorbikes that I love and I am spending longer today contemplating if I should trade them both in against a Ducati.. then I am wondering about house prices..

and if you think I should be adding to that a house bought at the top of the market.. well pardon me for not being an ****.. But I am happy now... and although not every decision I make is the best.. This one is idiot proof..

I didn't want a house when they were cheaper.. I spent too many years travelling and adventuring..

I want one now, but I can wait..

infact waiting is a lot easier then borrowing staggering amounts against an interest only mortgage

I have a beautiful girlfriend.. (a miracle)

I have great friends..

I have a great job...

I have two motorbikes that I love and I am spending longer today contemplating if I should trade them both in against a Ducati.. then I am wondering about house prices..

and if you think I should be adding to that a house bought at the top of the market.. well pardon me for not being an ****.. But I am happy now... and although not every decision I make is the best.. This one is idiot proof..

I didn't want a house when they were cheaper.. I spent too many years travelling and adventuring..

I want one now, but I can wait..

infact waiting is a lot easier then borrowing staggering amounts against an interest only mortgage

you forgot to add that you also live in beautiful devon.

now tell us more about your girlfreind and what she likes to do......(licks lips)

Edited by right_freds_dead

And whatever happened to having a good time in your 20s? Travelling the world, studying to the highest level in your choosen career or changing careers a few times to find what you want to do with the rest of your life?

You can't have it all ways, by all means enjoy your 20's, that is your choice, but don't expect to walk into a property at 30. Isn't there a saying "you reap what you sow" ;)

You can't have it all ways, by all means enjoy your 20's, that is your choice, but don't expect to walk into a property at 30. Isn't there a saying "you reap what you sow"

yes. dont expect to settle down and have 3 children and a garden, while paying 50% tax AND expect a house like i did at 3.5x annual salary.

You can't have it all ways, by all means enjoy your 20's, that is your choice, but don't expect to walk into a property at 30. Isn't there a saying "you reap what you sow" ;)

Look... buying in your thirties is fine..

Perhaps its a good idea to buy in your twenties to..

Now I live in Devon, I grea up in devon.. but to establish a career most young move away for a few years..

Normally to the south east.. More job opportunities etc,

the house market started to boom when I moved up country.

it outstripped my wages and the 3.5 borrowing rule..

Its just a speculative market... so chill..

Devon is beautiful.. a lot of the country is.

You reap what you sow?

Mate house prices have trebbled.. If I reap that..

then you are telling me there is a cycle in house prices and I should have expected it..

You can't always expect a boom mate..

but they are not giving away noble prizes for economics for expecting a bust after a boom..

Perhaps I am not worried that I don't have a house as I know I will..

Why am I here..?

Because I like the conversation..

Interest Rates are going up... all over the world..

It is the begining..

unless I am wrong.. lol..

Its funny... and its easier to laugh when your not in debt..

I looked at a £170,000 flat last year.. new build..

With discounts and diidy bit of a haggle.. £130,000 this year..

Thats £40,000 drop..

So.. how long does it take you to take home £40,000..??

Not bad for pissing around on motorbikes and having a laugh for a year..

Its just a market..

And life is like comedy.. you have to laugh.. and its all about timing.

murpaul

if apom was able to buy in his 20s then surely he should be able to buy in his 30s, infact most people earn more in there 30s than there 20s.

whats changed that someone with no equity can buy a house in there 20s and now in there 30s cant.

Dont you see the stupidity of your argument, dont it make you realise something is wrong.

So now a lot of the people in there 30s have missed the boat, and most in there 20s have not even been able to get on the boat even if they were dilligent bores with no life but work.

So in 10 years we will have

people in there 40s that didint jump on the boat in there 20s

people in there 30s that didint have a chance to jump on in there 20s

and people in there 20s once again not able to get on.

if you believe that scenario then your a crackhead

something will have to give eventually and it will certainly give before inflation errodes much of that debt all the people that did get on took on.

murpaul

if apom was able to buy in his 20s then surely he should be able to buy in his 30s, infact most people earn more in there 30s than there 20s.

whats changed that someone with no equity can buy a house in there 20s and now in there 30s cant.

Dont you see the stupidity of your argument, dont it make you realise something is wrong.

So now a lot of the people in there 30s have missed the boat, and most in there 20s have not even been able to get on the boat even if they were dilligent bores with no life but work.

So in 10 years we will have

people in there 40s that didint jump on the boat in there 20s

people in there 30s that didint have a chance to jump on in there 20s

and people in there 20s once again not able to get on.

if you believe that scenario then your a crackhead

something will have to give eventually and it will certainly give before inflation errodes much of that debt all the people that did get on took on.

I have mulled over how the most obvious bubble in history has got this big..

It is.. because people are stupid..

It comes down to stupidity..

Cracheads..

Essentially, even high earners can't afford houses.. no one will again..

but don't worry.. houses will retain their values.. as long as no one actually sells..

nonsense.

the factory workers at ginsters in warrington have the best work-life balance.

in between adding the diced carrots to the cornish pasties and platting the pastry, they play badminton, tennis and squash at the ginsters sports institute. founded by robert h ginster. co founder.

or they can relax with a drink in the 'ploughmans suite'. fully licenced.

nonsense.

the factory workers at ginsters in warrington have the best work-life balance.

in between adding the diced carrots to the cornish pasties and platting the pastry, they play badminton, tennis and squash at the ginsters sports institute. founded by robert h ginster. co founder.

or they can relax with a drink in the 'ploughmans suite'. fully licenced.

Shame about the 'cornish' workers at ginsters 'cornish'pasties. Nice that they sponsor Plymouth FC in Devon though. The pasties taste like shit it must be said, if in west cornwall please try a Phillps from Hayle.(no VI)

Shame about the 'cornish' workers at ginsters 'cornish'pasties. Nice that they sponsor Plymouth FC in Devon though. The pasties taste like shit it must be said, if in west cornwall please try a Phillps from Hayle.(no VI)

i now always go to deep south west cornwall at least once every year for the surfing.

when im there i pig out on anything i can find to either eat or smoke or have sex with.

pastys are a given. (not for sex though). i dont make it past the local garages if they have a heated pie stand.

i like the sea. i like the green. i like the easy traffic. i like the locals as they dont ramp up tourist facility prices. its as cheap in cornwall as it is in salford. i was very impressed with that first time i went. that wasnt what i was expecting at all.

though we always have a look in the local EAs and that really freaks our sh1t. 280k for that !! ect.

i now always go to deep south west cornwall at least once every year for the surfing.

when im there i pig out on anything i can find to either eat or smoke or have sex with.

pastys are a given. (not for sex though). i dont make it past the local garages if they have a heated pie stand.

i like the sea. i like the green. i like the easy traffic. i like the locals as they dont ramp up tourist facility prices. its as cheap in cornwall as it is in salford. i was very impressed with that first time i went. that wasnt what i was expecting at all.

though we always have a look in the local EAs and that really freaks our sh1t. 280k for that !! ect.

lol damn right

a change is a good as a rest, i like visiting my mate at salford college of music too; always have a great crack like you just cant have in cornwall. Chees RSF always welcome in cornwall (as if I had a choice anyway).

its a very honest place. i always hoped to retire there, but with property madness that dream is over for a while. i used to sit by my pool in texas and dream of returning qualified to the uk, start a business and move down south west. deep south west. like doc martin did.

ive not given up yet, but im glad i only found it later in life. i can savour it now. its a drive, but as you cross that bridge at bristol from there on i find the whole place magical. changeable and one of the most freindly palces i have ever been to. and i have been to a lot of places. imagine if you are settled in a secure council rental in cornwall. what could be better ?

minehead was a let down though. nice town with lots of green, but muddy water. when i got to cornwall for the first time and saw perranporth beach in the morning fog. warm. clear. mellow. mixed. cripes. even the camp site was top class and really good value.

i like visiting my mate at salford college of music too; always have a great crack like you just cant have in cornwall.

it has its moments. im not born here. im a yorkshireman. thats why im a tightwad. i prefer salford than manchester city centre. thats too cosmo. all manbag tram riding ipod wearers. which is new to me. book shops ect. thats alright, but i prefer the industrial history of salford and all the remnants of the past, still solid and cast in iron.

the locals dont see it, but i can see it. you can see all the old victorian and edwardian streets. some still cobbled. canals, defunct warehouses and mills that would make your eye water. i am lucky in that i like industrial history. i can walk my dog in the back waters and think back only say 60 years. these very streets would be full of smoke and factory whistles. like a classic gritty northern black and white british 50s movie. trains full of early diesels or old steam. 4 rail stations and a docks, whistling and hooting all though the foggy, smoggy nights.

im desperate to get out as i need to relocate, but i know ill always miss it. you can feel what must have inspired people like lowry or the smiths. but its changing. theres a huge boom on. ive never seen so many cranes. everythings being rennovated. the people are also changing. lots of people coming in from the south. in the same way i noticed london had changed from 97 to 2003, i can see the changes here. though they are keeping a lot of the old stuff, rather than pump out flats like they are doing in manchester centre for uber living.

also a suprise was to find it was such a gay town. i was expecting punchy toughs, but theres alot of that kind of larry grayson thing going on. look at the muck in here. i was suprised.