House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pro-crastinator

Confused Over Stc And Property Bee

I have to admit - I'm am up and down like a yo-yo on house buying. But I thought after reading some stuff on the BBC that I'd have another look at the area I want to buy.

Using the advice from other posts about seeing what has gone before I decided to click STC. I found a flat that I really like that is under this banner. The thing is I don't recall ever seeing it for sale (it's within my budget settings) and I have looked with a relatively high level of frequency over the past few months. So I decided to use property bee and see what data I was given. Apparently it was listed in June, updated in July and then edited today (or maybe that is a cache of my search?).

So I'm confused:

Why would I not have seen the flat advertised (when it is a small search area I am looking at)?

Why would property-bee keep having the details edited up to today if it is STC?

How can I find out for sure if the flat is sold (I am actually on the agents books who are representing it and knowing my budget and specific search area they have not mentioned it to me - which is stupid as I very specifically said 'you get this area and it's a goer')?

Even if it is STC am I right in saying I could still potentially have a go at raising the existing offer?

Apologies for all the questions but putting the buy now or later debate, this is the first time since March that I've seen a flat that I can afford in the location i really want (and feel will make me happy).

I hate all this cloak and dagger stuff with EAs and property in general!

I have to admit - I'm am up and down like a yo-yo on house buying. But I thought after reading some stuff on the BBC that I'd have another look at the area I want to buy.

Using the advice from other posts about seeing what has gone before I decided to click STC. I found a flat that I really like that is under this banner. The thing is I don't recall ever seeing it for sale (it's within my budget settings) and I have looked with a relatively high level of frequency over the past few months. So I decided to use property bee and see what data I was given. Apparently it was listed in June, updated in July and then edited today (or maybe that is a cache of my search?).

So I'm confused:

Why would I not have seen the flat advertised (when it is a small search area I am looking at)?

How can I find out for sure if the flat is sold (I am actually on the agents books who are representing it and knowing my budget and specific search area they have not mentioned it to me - which is stupid as I very specifically said 'you get this area and it's a goer')?

Even if it is STC am I right in saying I could still potentially have a go at raising the existing offer?

Apologies for all the questions but putting the buy now or later debate, this is the first time since March that I've seen a flat that I can afford in the location i really want (and feel will make me happy).

If agents have not mentioned it to you, it is very likely that it was listed briefly for the sake of form, while promised to a mate or relative of the EA, who is going to get it relatively cheaply. In other words, they go through the motions of it being on the open market while in fact it is nothing of the sort.. I have definite personal knowledge of this sort of carry on, and have also met a most objectionable man who told me he regularly has this sort of arrangement with his local EAs.

But by all means ring the agents and ask why you weren't informed about it. No harm in asking whether it's still open to offers. And SSTC does not mean actually sold - it won't be anything like sold until exchange of contracts, and sales do often fall through.

So I'm confused:

Double posted by mistake. but will just add what happened to me and daughters. We were actually shown the flat by a very nice ha ha EA who told me his father was a vicar! Subsequently put in an offer a little below asking price. We were told that yes, OK, if we could exchange contracts that very day. Well, of course we couldn't , I had never heard of such a thing. Found out a few months later, thank you nethouseprices, that it had sold for WAY below our offer. So they were just going through the motions. EA had actually told us that it belonged to someone at the EA, so presumably it went to a friend or son or daughter very cheaply, to avoid capital gains tax (it had been a BTL so CGT would have been payable)

This was ages ago, maybe 2005 or 6, but I have no doubt it still goes on a lot.

Edited by Mrs Bear

Thanks for the replies.

I was just about to use the netprices site you referred to. Clicked my bookmark to get the property details and it's now 'been removed by the agent'.

I'm really actually upset about this! (Not crying, but genuinely would have made an offer) I suspect it will be done up (needed modernising) for about £10k and have a £50k premium added for the efforts.

I will call the agent tomorrow to ask them as the guy is regularly pestering me for interest on other properties which I am not interested in.

How can I definitely check that it's sold as I don't have a flat number. Land registry?

BTW, thank you for informing me of this EA practice. I'm still really naive on the whole house buying process and I guess the more I look into it the more I feel disillusioned about the concept of a 'fair' deal.

Thanks for the replies.

I was just about to use the netprices site you referred to. Clicked my bookmark to get the property details and it's now 'been removed by the agent'.

I'm really actually upset about this! (Not crying, but genuinely would have made an offer) I suspect it will be done up (needed modernising) for about £10k and have a £50k premium added for the efforts.

I will call the agent tomorrow to ask them as the guy is regularly pestering me for interest on other properties which I am not interested in.

How can I definitely check that it's sold as I don't have a flat number. Land registry?

BTW, thank you for informing me of this EA practice. I'm still really naive on the whole house buying process and I guess the more I look into it the more I feel disillusioned about the concept of a 'fair' deal.

Sold prices don't come up for at least a couple of months on nethouseprices. I think you have to pay for this info on land reg but could be wrong. however it also takes a couple of months there too. If you don't have the flat number, can you go back and find it?But if not, unless there was more than one for sale at the same time, the next one you see on nethouseprices will probably be it - that is, if the sale goes through.

It can be very frustrating waiting for sold prices to come up, especially for someone nosy like me. Sales can easily take 2 to 3months to go through - although I have to say my daughter's purchase went through in 6 weeks flat from offer to completion - and then it can be another couple of months before they show up.

Sold prices appear on Rightmove too but there is always a delay of a few months before they are published. Rightmove also put the photos and details of any which have been for sale on their site which is useful for comparisons.

Spoke to the EA about this. Apparently went on the market in March. Maybe it did, maybe it didn't I can't remember seeing it. But I'm sure if I did it would have got my attention as the property is a decent size in comparison with the other shoe-boxes being sold in the area.

Not sure why it re-appeared on RightMove then (at the time I started this thread). Can't help feeling that as a buyer there is so much stuff/information going on under the radar that I don't think I'll ever get either a) a good deal or B) the ideal place for me let alone a combination of the two.