House Price Crash Forum
DontCareBear

Another Bear Empties The Bank Account

Well after 6 years on this site, life circumstances have got the better of me and I've bought, completing today.

Similar story to many others I'm sure. Nearly bought in 07, found this site, went uber-bear, and spent the next 6 years renting a beautiful flat in a Bournemouth suburb with a decent landlord - the rent didn't go up for 5 years!

Landlord is now trying to sell the flat, and started looking around at the start of the year, and finally found a decent 3 bed with south facing garden that needs doing up. Got them down a reasonable amount, (was £330k 6 months ago, finally settled on £265k), so a reasonable price for the area. www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-25015206.html

Impending interest rate shock and tin hat scenario? More government time and money plundered into keeping the market pumped up? Who knows?! But I've finally bought. A house for many a year I hope, so I'm trying to put the thought of the HPC and the "value" of house prices away from the front of my mind if I possibly can and try and enjoy it as a lovely home. Best of luck to my fellow bears.

Well after 6 years on this site, life circumstances have got the better of me and I've bought, completing today.

Similar story to many others I'm sure. Nearly bought in 07, found this site, went uber-bear, and spent the next 6 years renting a beautiful flat in a Bournemouth suburb with a decent landlord - the rent didn't go up for 5 years!

Landlord is now trying to sell the flat, and started looking around at the start of the year, and finally found a decent 3 bed with south facing garden that needs doing up. Got them down a reasonable amount, (was £330k 6 months ago, finally settled on £265k), so a reasonable price for the area. www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-25015206.html

Impending interest rate shock and tin hat scenario? More government time and money plundered into keeping the market pumped up? Who knows?! But I've finally bought. A house for many a year I hope, so I'm trying to put the thought of the HPC and the "value" of house prices away from the front of my mind if I possibly can and try and enjoy it as a lovely home. Best of luck to my fellow bears.

Nice, plenty of space, you could play football in the back garden and thrash an electric (well maybe an acoustic) guitar inside without worrying the neighbours too much? Good luck, tune in as interest rates soar and tell us how you are feeling :P

Boscombe is a bit varied - plenty of well-built old properties, but so much slumming. The map shows it's more Christchurch though, and there are two big supermarkets nearby plus a couple of good schools. Actually £265k looks a good deal.

Nice, plenty of space, you could play football in the back garden and thrash an electric (well maybe an acoustic) guitar inside without worrying the neighbours too much? Good luck, tune in as interest rates soar and tell us how you are feeling :P

Well I locked in on a cheeky 5 year fix @ 2.59% so alright for a while! Pay down 1/3rd of the mortgage in that time is the plan...

Boscombe is a bit varied - plenty of well-built old properties, but so much slumming. The map shows it's more Christchurch though, and there are two big supermarkets nearby plus a couple of good schools. Actually £265k looks a good deal.

Yeah it's a mile or 2 from Boscombe, just strangely borrows the name, god knows why! Quite a nice quiet family road. Needs a fair bit of work, but think I was lucky - all the market hype now and don't reckon I would have got such a good deal

Yeah it's a mile or 2 from Boscombe, just strangely borrows the name, god knows why! Quite a nice quiet family road. Needs a fair bit of work, but think I was lucky - all the market hype now and don't reckon I would have got such a good deal

There are smaller houses with same size gardens within 1/2 mile that are £400k+.

Well played!

Well done! This is how I hope the story turns out for many of us - rents and save, and then buy a good property on a good mortgage - or no mortgage at all.

:P

Well done! This is how I hope the story turns out for many of us - rents and save, and then buy a good property on a good mortgage - or no mortgage at all.

:P

Cheers, thanks for the good wishes guys, really appreciate it. As a long term bear, I've been quite nervous about taking the step, but when the life circumstances change, sometimes you've just got to go for it. And would we be as lucky with a landlord next time? Possibly unlikely.

I think it's all about trying to stop thinking of it as a cash cow and more as a home, if I (and all in the UK) can do that, I think we'll all be in a much better place!

I nearly bought in 1998 - 3 bed semi in Branksome (Bmth) for £80k. chain kept falling through, and in the end I pulled out and went travelling. Most expensive decision of my life! So it's been a long journey to ownership!

B) Well bought, with a great discount too.

I love 1930s architecture. This house is like the one I hope to have one day.:)