House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
right_freds_dead

What Happened To British-ness ?

does anybody here remember vera lynn

remember how she said that we would meet again.

some sunny day.

vera, vera. what has become of you.

does anybody else in here.

feel the way i do.?

im just wondering what happened to britishness. that sense of 'fairness'. the blitz spirit. the attitude that saved us from darker days. the notion that someone would give up their seat on a bus. chat in a bus queue and open doors for a lady. has gone.

this housing sentiment is based on greed and ignorance of you ones which have to find the money to fuel it. thats not the british way. nor is working the longest hours in europe or having the highest retirement age.

i mean - what is the advantage of britishness anymore ?

what does it get us.

perhaps bird flu will remind us how far we've fallen, as people hue and cry for tamiflu priority in the way school runners justify huge 4x4s. people have grown selfish.

hence the massive prices of houses and btl.

What Happened To British-ness ?, hat-lifting etc

I put it down to the rise of the "Hoodie".

Just look at this:

chav-27456.jpg

Can anyone tell me how the young gentleman is supposed to lift his Burberry baseball cap with that damn hood strapping it so tightly to his head????? Well???? :angry:

Edited by Sledgehead

hoodies are just a reacotion to the current housing boom. these are the people sellers would like to take the money off. these are the people that were about to buy that salford terrace for £32k which is suddenly now 90k, yet their wages are the same ??? all the extra money they spend is split between the banks and the sellers. who more often than not - split to spain for a villa and complain back to the very british people they ripped off if they lose money if it goes wrong.

id be angry too. id go on benefits and breed like a rabbit.

where theres blame - theres a claim.

Guest Charlie The Tramp
What Happened To British-ness ?, hat lifting ect

Said goodbye twenty five years ago.

im 36 and even i can remember better attitudes. id say it changed 1980. thatcher was too blame i suppose.

before that there was a certain something about the place.

its not what it was and its certainly not worth 180k.

Britishness was too closely related to Christianity and therefore an unsuitable foundation for multicultural Britain. It had to be neutralised.

thats a very good point.

though thinking about british life, havent we always been multicultural ?

picts, celts, romans and french. by say 1700 it would be hard to tell who was a flaxen haired saxon and who was a gailic. we still developed. its became a stength that later took us to build a daft empire. which burnt down, fell over then sank into the swamp...though its a strength that saved us from many wars.

therefore i dont feel this caused the demise of our culture.

you could STILL go to church if you wanted to be a christian.

in fact, i try to say hello to people i pass in the street and try to get to know my neighbours. next door are asian and hes the first to say 'morning' and have a chat. hes being british. his kids are respectful ect. granted - they are black as the ace of spades - but i dont see any culture clash between him or a white neighbour. its the same good manners from the both of us.

Edited by right_freds_dead

I remember Vera Lynn. I also remember rationing.

I also remember Mods & Rockers kicking the excrement out of each other, the Moors Murderers, Teddy Boys, Spivs ...

I also remember my English teacher telling us of an incident at an 18thC fair where a pieman was literally kicked to pieces by some disgruntled customers. We also used to butcher people alive for the amusement of the general public.

And 25 years ago?

BLOCK'EDS !!

OI OI !!!!!

I remember Vera Lynn. I also remember rationing.

I also remember Mods & Rockers kicking the excrement out of each other, the Moors Murderers, Teddy Boys, Spivs ...

I also remember my English teacher telling us of an incident at an 18thC fair where a pieman was literally kicked to pieces by some disgruntled customers. We also used to butcher people alive for the amusement of the general public.

you think thats bad ?

my science teacher told us that a caveman was bitten in half by a triceratops and that his mother had to get a witchdoctor to bang a hole in her head to let the evil spirits out. as if that wasnt enough, while the doctor was attending her, a terradactyl swooped down and took the baby.

lets not go too far.

were talking about our culture - not our development.

as for the pieman. well dint some bloke get stabbed to bits at an ikea opening fighting for the bargain cushions.?

Edited by right_freds_dead

you think thats bad ?

my science teacher told us that a caveman was bitten in half by a triceratops and that his mother had to get a witchdoctor to bang a hole in her head to let the evil spirits out. as if that wasnt enough, while the doctor was attending her, a terradactyl swooped down and took the baby.

lets not go too far.

were talking about our culture - not our development.

as for the pieman. well dint some bloke get stabbed to bits at an ikea opening fighting for the bargain cushions.?

:D I do like your posts Fred, even if you have lost the plot.

I forgot to add, at the end:

Technology changes. People don't.

I was out in the car with the missus today and there was a bit of confusion at a roundabout. Nothing serious and no danger whatsoever. The other car involved was driven by a woman who was I would think 70+ years old as was her co-driver. Their reaction was astonishing. Vitriol was literally spitting out of their mouths. Flem flying through the air amid the "f" word and both giving the "v" sign and "w" sign. It was bizarre, like something you'd see in Little Britain. In hindsight it was just so depressing.

you would think that general government would improve though ?

this isnt too much to ask. seems we get the same wallies every time.

That's 'cause the government is made up of ... people. Voted for by ... other people.

Ca change plus ca change. Incidentally, contrary to the popular belief around here, Thatcher didn't invent greed; I personally observed it at first hand long before she arrived.

I was out in the car with the missus today and there was a bit of confusion at a roundabout. Nothing serious and no danger whatsoever. The other car involved was driven by a woman who was I would think 70+ years old as was her co-driver. Their reaction was astonishing. Vitriol was literally spitting out of their mouths. Flem flying through the air amid the "f" word and both giving the "v" sign and "w" sign. It was bizarre, like something you'd see in Little Britain. In hindsight it was just so depressing.

Britain is such an aggressive place these days, not in the physical sense, but more mentally and verbally. Maybe too much TV does it. I don't have a TV but when I've seen it, it just seems to be horrible people yelling at each other or being aggraveted about other people. A lot of the population spend several hours per day watching this stuff.

I personally observed it at first hand long before she arrived.

please point a few out, because i cant remember any.

Britain is such an aggressive place these days, not in the physical sense, but more mentally and verbally. Maybe too much TV does it. I don't have a TV but when I've seen it, it just seems to be horrible people yelling at each other or being aggraveted about other people. A lot of the population spend several hours per day watching this stuff.

****-eyed octopus

when your backed into a corner and your life is made harder by others profit, eventually you get to learn how the game is now played. you fight your own corner and beat off the others for the meat. you get as hard as they do.

a financial banker making a mint off an ftb by taking three times the normal mortgage size, and the vendor are just as nasty and aggressive as the man who takes your car stereo or fights the police on a bingedrinking friday night.

all of britains has grown aggressive. top to bottom.

After being about 40% of the way through Thatchers memoirs i have to say im changing my way i look back on the tory years that everyone seems so quick to criticise.

All the social change over the past 8 years has been done under a labour rule - And people talking about the 'pre thatcher' times seem to have forgotten the poor man of europe being crippled by high inflation, low productivity and mob/union rule.

If anything, i'd say the 80's and early to mid 90's were a more 'british' time if you want to be all dewy eyed about it.

please point a few out, because i cant remember any.

Jesus, Fred , didn't you go to school? Never seen bullies in action?

And the ruling class were never greedy? All those 50's politicians with their fingers in the pie? The councillors?

Perhaps ignorance is bliss.

Get a grip.

today is far worse.

is that all you can come up with - bullies ?

what about the bullies that slash each other with scissors in the news.

today even your street is trying to put one over you and the push in mentality is rife.

look at the pushy mums demanding to be first for tamiflu because they have a large house and 4 kids.

key medical workers first - then us next was the cry on tv last night.

never mind fairness. us. me me me.,...