House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

I'm Single At 50. Why? Men Hate Me Being Brainier Than Them, Says Kate Mulvey

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2417942/Im-single-50-Why-Men-hate-brainier-says-KATE-MULVEY.html

A recent study found men simply can't handle it if a woman outshines them

Kate believes this is why she's still single

She's a published author and can speak multiple languages

She's 'lost count' of times she's been rejected for being witty and clever

Three months ago I went to Italy with my then boyfriend, Philip. As we were checking into the hotel, I struck up a conversation with the receptionist in Italian (just one of the five languages I speak). But while I was enjoying myself, chatting away, it became clear that Philip most certainly was not.

He shuffled from foot to foot, muttered something under his breath and rolled his eyes like a stroppy teenager.

Then in the lift he turned on me. 'I was wondering when you were going to let me join your conversation,' he snapped. I tried to laugh it off but I knew this was the beginning of yet another argument.

'You always have to be the star of the show,' he continued in our bedroom, as he began to systematically work his way through the mini-bar. Apparently I was argumentative, a know-all and an intellectual snob.

What had I done? It should be depressingly obvious. I had dared to dent his fragile male ego.

By speaking in a language Philip didn't know, I had managed to make him - a successful writer, ten years my senior - feel small. How selfish of me to embarrass him in public with my linguistic prowess!

First question would anyone feel threatened by this? I'm sure plenty on here will enjoy dissecting the potential reasons she's single. The only issue is she's presenting why she's single.

might have been the body language she was using whilst talking to the italian...maybe she was pouting, pulling her hair over her ears, all the other non verbal signs of language.

maybe this was not the first item to wind up the then boyfriend...

Me, I love intelligent women...Mrs Loo has a certain antenna that I just dont have...Im never jealous of her using this ability..simply amazes when it points out what I missed.

The artical goes on:

They have called me 'intimidating', 'scary', 'difficult' and 'opinionated'. Translated, that means: 'You are too clever and I don't like it.'

or, translated, it means she is selfish and demanded you yeilded 100%, then breaks into attack when denied, then retaliates for hours or days after, then tells everyone what an ass you have been.

Because.........

I was argumentative, a know-all and an intellectual snob ..........she probably is....it is common courtesy not to speak too long in another language and cut out the person you are with.? isn`t it.

I believe its rude...maybe that`s because I`m a man though B)

My g od I just looked at the article...she looks like a bloke anyway ! Urgh

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2417942/Im-single-50-Why-Men-hate-brainier-says-KATE-MULVEY.html

First question would anyone feel threatened by this? I'm sure plenty on here will enjoy dissecting the potential reasons she's single. The only issue is she's presenting why she's single.

Wouldn't have bothered me.

It sounds to me like she's got a chip on her shoulder about something or other. A need to show off and create drama.

Speaking generally.

For 50 years the Western Male has been bombarded with magazines and newspaper articles about women no longer needing men because modern women want to be independent, do not need men, etc, etc.

The internet is changing this.

The internet is changing this because of all the new male orientated blogs and websites out there. For 50 years, arguably, the media has been controlled by a female dominated male hating agenda and hence, in the main, any critcism of women has been almost devoid from the media.

The internet has changed that.

Men are increasingly realising that the way they feel about a certain kind of woman is the way that tens of millions of men the world over are feeling.

In short, there is a type of a woman - and this 'type' can have numerous different traits - that men simply wish to avoid.

My g od I just looked at the article...she looks like a bloke anyway ! Urgh

Was just about to post the same. I love an intelligent burd - why spend so many hours/days/years with someone if they can't hold decent conversation? Still, she does indeed look like a bloke. The mystery of why this woman can't get laid has been solved. Case closed.

Wouldn't have bothered me.

It sounds to me like she's got a chip on her shoulder about something or other. A need to show off and create drama.

article-2417942-167AB82D000005DC-401_634x733.jpg

Yup. There's a lot of bright people on here who may have thought at one time "I'm incredibly intelligent and know a lot, why aren't the women flocking to me". Then one day they have the realisation that people do what they want to, and to make them want to be / stay with you then you have to be thoughtful and nice to them, which they will reciprocate.

As to that conversation in Italian which she opens with, this is her showing off (fine to do that a bit, we all do) but more importantly excluding her boyfriend and making him stand there like a lemon while she did it, clearly making no effort to include him which she could have easily done, e.g. ask about places to go and say (in English) "Apparently there's a lovely village near here, shall I get directions?"

She could be fantastic looking and it would make no difference, she is so ultimately selfish and inconsiderate that to be with he would be to endure a nightmare until either your spirit is broken or you leave, as they all have done.

Before I get jumped on I accept that there are far more men like this then women, but to me she has clearly answere her question as to why she is still single in that article. Dreadful woman.

Couple of decent comments:

Hun, There are differences in being intelligent and condescending. I once went on a first date with a guy who kept asking me about the branches of the government instead of getting to know me as a person, needless to say that was the last time I saw him. Know it all can be very tiring to be around.

- mizdiville , NYC, United States, 12/9/2013 01:25

You're single cos you're so bloody patronising love. Men aren't keen on being looked down on. Funny that! Also in your latter years you're starting to look like a right misery guts. Smile and stop assuming everyone else is stupid.

- Contessa , London, 12/9/2013 01:23

This is a 20-years-older version of a woman I dated; frighteningly similar actually. And whilst I think the woman I dated will probably find a long term partner (because she's not quite this bad....yet), it wouldn't surprise me if I saw the same sort of blind rationalization coming from her in 20 years time.

Lets set aside the fact that this woman hasn't aged terribly well (she could well have been very attractive in her 20's); but the slightly aloof and annoyed look plastered on her face on the first two photos, a look as if you've just shat yourself in her presence, says it all really.

It doesn't matter how clever you are, if you are argumentative, caustic, constantly trying to prove to the world how much better you are than everyone (ironically probably because of a core lack of self worth), who the feck's gonna want to spend time with you. I'd also hazard a guess that she's probably quite cold and unaffectionate, or comes off that way at least.

And perhaps being eternally single suits her fine - she can write books and articles about how she's alone because she's simply just too good for anybody.

Who's gonna want anything to do with her now anyway? Publishing details of past relationships in a newspaper article isn't the mark of a nice person, or someone I'd want as a friend or girlfriend. She's single because she's a bit of a cnt. And you can get away with being a bit of a cnt when you're 21 and smoking hot, but not when you're 50.

This woman needs therapy, but she'd probably argue with the therapist and conclude that he wasn't intelligent enough to understand her.

(Oh, and before anyone thinks that I'm claiming to be perfect, this woman claiming she's alone because she's 'too clever' is like me saying I'm alone because 'I'm too nice and women only like bastards'. Realistically, if you're eternally single, it's probably your fault in one way or another, and I include myself in that!)

Ah, the Classics.

It is sad to think that there was a time, up until quite recently, in the British education system where you were thought superior, and taught to conside yourself superior, if you were good at languages.

In fact, many schools used to separate the 'intelligent' ones from the 'thickies' based purely on whether you were good at languages or not. It didn't matter if you were a great maths or science student - being good at those would only consign you to the thickies' stream.

It was all to do with the Civil Service and Empire, etc. I am told this still holds true in some of our more expensive public schools. Kind of harks back to the days when reading and writing was for the clerks and not for the Lords.

Sadly, it means that there are still a great many people in the UK who think they are superior because they can speak a few languages. This is part of the reason why we don't have Engineering or IT held in high regard in this country as in the US or in Germany.

Don't these people realise that Google has replaced them! :lol:

Women like this probably got a few bangs for their buck in their younger days just for having all the right bits in the right places. As they get older, that's less of an option and they have to face the fact they probably haven't been very nice people for the majority of their adult lives.

P

I think that is true for both genders but, in the case of a certain kind of woman, doubly so.

You can see lots of women on dating sites, in their mid to late 40s and higher, who were cleary very attractive when younger, and often still attractive now, but their attitude and personality is just vile.

They haven't worked out yet that what the vile attitude that they could get away with from their teens to late 30s is no longer possible in their 40s and above.

This woman makes a career of being single & rejected.

From Google:

Duped out of motherhood | Mail Online - Daily Mail

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-378163/Duped-motherhood.html‎

by KATE MULVEY, Daily Mail. Last updated at 10:22 24 February 2006. Kate Mulvey childless. Painful reality: Kate Mulvey believes she will never have a baby.

By KATE MULVEY All By This Author - Daily Mail

www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?s=y...Kate+Mulvey‎

Femail. Article. In praise of the knife: What cosmetic surgery can do for your self-esteem. By KATE MULVEY All By This Author - 09/05/2013 16:49:44. When Kate ...

Kate Mulvey: 'Yes, I'm a fake fiancée' - Telegraph

www.telegraph.co.uk › News › Features‎

12 Sep 2008 - Tired of being branded a mid-life singleton, Kate Mulvey got herself a ring and pretended to be engaged to a banker. It changed her life.

I cant be bothered to read them.

Bear in mind, that photo of her is her looking her best with a make-up artist and professional photographer. And, presumably, cosmetic surgery.

Looks like a bulldog licking p*** of a nettle, as they say.

Ah, the Classics.

It is sad to think that there was a time, up until quite recently, in the British education system where you were thought superior, and taught to conside yourself superior, if you were good at languages.

In fact, many schools used to separate the 'intelligent' ones from the 'thickies' based purely on whether you were good at languages or not. It didn't matter if you were a great maths or science student - being good at those would only consign you to the thickies' stream.

It was all to do with the Civil Service and Empire, etc. I am told this still holds true in some of our more expensive public schools. Kind of harks back to the days when reading and writing was for the clerks and not for the Lords.

Sadly, it means that there are still a great many people in the UK who think they are superior because they can speak a few languages. This is part of the reason why we don't have Engineering or IT held in high regard in this country as in the US or in Germany.

Don't these people realise that Google has replaced them! :lol:

I don't remember that being the case to that degree TMT, though the top stream at my school was dubbed "science and languages". I put very little effort into any language studies (bar Latin, which I quite liked) on the grounds that as I was not intending to be a salesman I had no need to put any effort into speaking a second language as all educated people worldwide would have put many years' effort into obtaining a decent knowledge of English so I was wasting my time learning their language.

Plus there is the issue of what language to learn as there is no obvious first choice for an English speaker, I plumped for none on the grounds I was unlikely to ever use it and have been proven correct. This included working for a German company where all business meetings were held in English, even in Germany.

Yep to above. Ironically I suspect most of us on this site, on reflection, can understand this woman's problem very well an have probably displayed the same characteristics at some point in our lives. Not intelligence, but intellectual snobbery, a need to be proven right. It's none too attractive and makes other people feel pretty crap or just not want to engage. And the automatic defense is that other people are too stupid/ jealous, that we're too smart/ good-looking, unlucky/nice etc etc.

Whenever I see any of my staff indulge in "point-scoring" I take them aside and explain to them that whilst it might make them feel fleetingly superior it means that they will be resented and disliked. And as work, like life, is about people this is not a good thing to do. This woman seems to have made it her lifetime ambition.

In short, there is a type of a woman - and this 'type' can have numerous different traits - that men simply wish to avoid.

i.e. women that aren't feminine. If we wanted a man we would marry one.

stupid people often dislike clever people.

Nothing stopping her from finding a braineir boyfriend who won't be threatened by it though

Sometimes I wonder if isn't all my father's fault - ever since I could talk, he encouraged me to hold my own in an argument. But little did he know, as he exhorted me to 'get a good degree' or add yet another language to my repertoire, he was reducing my chances of getting hitched altogether.

As a child, I went to one of Britain's most academic girls’ schools, Godolphin & Latymer, where I got three top A-levels, then breezed through an Italian and French degree at the University of Kent, getting a 2:1, while keeping up conversational German on the side.

Her dad's advice reminds me a bit of my grandparents' generation "Get qualifications, nobody can take those away from you". Which is good advice to a child but by the time you hit 50 you should have formed your own life philosophy.

I remember doing and enjoying quadratic equations, at the time thinking I was really clever but soon realised that was going to impress nobody but the examiners. Just imagine dropping into conversation with a girl "I'm brilliant at linked differential equations, go on test me!", but adults still think saying "I can speak three languages" will impress when most people just find it mildly annoying, like saying "I drive an £80k car".

I think this woman may be angling to be the next Liz Jones or Samantha Brick, conjuring a personality so horrific that you have to keep reading as it's like a slow motion car crash. ("Surely nobody could be that bad?").

I await the next instalment.

The hair of a woman, the face of a man.

(I wouldn't touch her with a gondola pole)

The hair of Robbie Savage!

12 Sep 2008 - Tired of being branded a mid-life singleton, Kate Mulvey got herself a ring and pretended to be engaged to a banker. It changed her life.

Got to admire her timing and choice. Just the sort of woman most men would run a mile from.

stupid people often dislike clever people.

Nothing stopping her from finding a braineir boyfriend who won't be threatened by it though

There won't be one she'll find acceptable though.

I forget the name but there was a Victorian scientist from a wealthy background who either looked down on fellow scientists because they were his social inferior or, if richer, because they were intellectually inferior.

They have called me 'intimidating', 'scary', 'difficult' and 'opinionated'. Translated, that means: 'You are too clever and I don't like it.'

How is that a "translation"? That's just brazenly assigning blame onto others for her negative aspects. In fact, it is very much supporting the informed criticism that she is difficult and opinionated.

A lot of women "read between the lines" of what you say to them, and conclude you are trying to communicate the precise opposite of what you say. When I eventually found a woman that takes "i don't like that" to be a simple statement of opinion, or "i'm tired" to mean nothing other than that I am tired, I married her.