House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

'oops, I Pressed The Wrong Button': Bungling Councillor Accidentally Gives Green Light To Multi-Million Housing Scheme When Casting The Deciding Vote

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2417356/Bungling-councillor-accidentally-gives-green-light-multi-million-housing-scheme-pressing-wrong-button-casting-deciding-vote.html

Ryedale District Councillor David Cussons said he had made 'a mistake'

Voted for the application giving the go-ahead to build 260 homes on farmland

Councils says decision could not be overturned without making a revocation order, which could give rise to a costly compensation payment

Plans 'are too big and outside Kirkbymoorside's development limits'

It was the million-pound question - would a controversial housing development be given the go-ahead in a Yorkshire town?

And the answer was yes; albeit mistakenly, as a bungling councillor who opposed the plan 'pressed the wrong button' on an electronic voting system, meaning it was approved.

Ryedale District Councillor David Cussons said he had made 'a mistake' when he voted in favour of the 260-home development application - giving the green light to build 210 houses and 50 apartments on farmland near Kirkbymoorside, North Yorkshire.

Pure comedy genius.

would a controversial housing development be given the go-ahead in a Yorkshire town?

so it is OK to gas a few 1000s women and children in Syria, but you can not build residential housing on farm land in Yorkshire

I suggest to buldoze the whole Yorkshire to turn it back to the green belt and move all locals to London brown field flats

The simple solution would be to remove the 'Yes' button. Then all of these unfortunate situations, like having to build houses that our children can live in can be avoided. :rolleyes:

The simple solution would be to remove the 'Yes' button. Then all of these unfortunate situations, like having to build houses that our children can live in can be avoided. :rolleyes:

If it was only like an EU vote where everyone could be asked again until the "correct" answer is given.

To be fair, there has been an incredible amount of house building on the outskirts of York over the last 30 years, some of the land formerly being part of Ryedale.

I think the population has grown about 25% in that time...I think I'm right in saying it has been the second fastest after London - and they've probably built more properties pro rata to do it rather than stuffing more people into the same properties.

EDIT: I'll go and check my assertion. Back soon.

EDIT2:

1981 158,170

2011 202,400

A 28% increase which is quite a lot and involves giving quite a lot of planning permission.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York

EDIT3:

You will also note that the increase is not primarily immigration but I suppose it could be categorised as 'white flight'.

Depends on the size of settlement really, if we're working in percentages Ely, East Cambridgeshire had a population barely 11,000 at the 1991 census, 15,000 at 2001, over 20,000 at 2011. And yes it is a city :) That includes the outlying areas too, given almost all the growth has been within the bypass, its probably gone up over 100% in 20 years. That said, its still a nice enough place. Newmarket, where the racing lobby has meant there's been practically zero housing development over the last 20 years is an utter dump nowadays, the dregs seem to have moved in en masse, so I dont think growth need to detract from somewhere, even if it is soul-less rat run barratt estates, as most of it in Ely is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ely,_Cambridgeshire#Demography

To be fair, there has been an incredible amount of house building on the outskirts of York over the last 30 years, some of the land formerly being part of Ryedale.

I think the population has grown about 25% in that time...I think I'm right in saying it has been the second fastest after London - and they've probably built more properties pro rata to do it rather than stuffing more people into the same properties.

EDIT: I'll go and check my assertion. Back soon.

EDIT2:

1981 158,170

2011 202,400

A 28% increase which is quite a lot and involves giving quite a lot of planning permission.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York

EDIT3:

You will also note that the increase is not primarily immigration but I suppose it could be categorised as 'white flight'.

Also not sure there has been any white flight...white british has gone up 6,000 since the 2001 census, compared to an overall fall of 600,000 white Britons in England between 2001-2011. Not surprising, York appears to be one of the very few remaining cities of its size where white Britons still make up over 90% of the population, so why would there be any...compare to Luton where white, British in 2001 made up nearly 120,000 of the population, by 2011 barely 90,000...now thats true Detroit-style white flight...losing basically a quarter of your numbers in 10 years.

Also not sure there has been any white flight...white british has gone up 6,000 since the 2001 census, compared to an overall fall of 600,000 white Britons in England between 2001-2011. Not surprising, York appears to be one of the very few remaining cities of its size where white Britons still make up over 90% of the population, so why would there be any...compare to Luton where white, British in 2001 made up nearly 120,000 of the population, by 2011 barely 90,000...now thats true Detroit-style white flight...losing basically a quarter of your numbers in 10 years.

Perhaps the white flight referred to regarding York is meant to mean it is picking up people from London.

So how likely is it to make such a mistake when there are countless motions to be voted on through the years using the exact same gadget. How many other mistakes have been made in the voting by him and other councillors.

It's no way to run a country.

If it was only like an EU vote where everyone could be asked again until the "correct" answer is given.

You mean like the separatists' endless calls for as many referendums as needed until they get their stroppy way?

Edited by bristolhunter

His vote didn't decide it, his vote tied it and the Chair's casting vote swung it

From the article cited

But he made a basic and far-reaching error, pressing the wrong button – ‘for’ instead of ‘against’.

This left the vote tied and the chairman then used his casting vote to over-ride fierce local resistance and back the controversial scheme

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2417356/Councillor-David-Cussons-presses-wrong-button-accidentally-approves-multi-million-housing-scheme.html#ixzz2ehNL9oqs

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Everything will get agreed eventually....keep applying and amending and you will get....be prepared to invest time, money and effort into the long bureaucratic process.... ;)

You mean like the separatists' endless calls for as many referendums as needed until they get their stroppy way?

If you are talking about UK separation from the EU, the separatists in the UK haven't had one referendum about being in the EU.

But the UK joined anyway, and have been repeatedly promised a referendum, the promise broken by successive governments.

As for repeating referndums until getting their way, that is exactly what the EU did in Ireland.

Funny that you seem to think that anyone who objects to being bulldozed, into being under a Constitution they had no opportunity to vote on, is 'stroppy'.

Edited by happy_renting