House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Got A Unwanted Child? Here's How To Get Rid Of Them - Us

http://www.reuters.com/investigates/adoption/#article/part1

KIEL, Wisconsin – Todd and Melissa Puchalla struggled for more than two years to raise Quita, the troubled teenager they'd adopted from Liberia. When they decided to give her up, they found new parents to take her in less than two days – by posting an ad on the Internet.

Nicole and Calvin Eason, an Illinois couple in their 30s, saw the ad and a picture of the smiling 16-year-old. They were eager to take Quita, even though the ad warned that she had been diagnosed with severe health and behavioral problems. In emails, Nicole Eason assured Melissa Puchalla that she could handle the girl.

"People that are around me think I am awesome with kids," Eason wrote.

A few weeks later, on Oct. 4, 2008, the Puchallas drove six hours from their Wisconsin home to Westville, Illinois. The handoff took place at the Country Aire Mobile Home Park, where the Easons lived in a trailer.

No attorneys or child welfare officials came with them. The Puchallas simply signed a notarized statement declaring these virtual strangers to be Quita's guardians. The visit lasted just a few hours. It was the first and the last time the couples would meet.

To Melissa Puchalla, the Easons "seemed wonderful." Had she vetted them more closely, she might have discovered what Reuters would learn:

• Child welfare authorities had taken away both of Nicole Eason's biological children years earlier. After a sheriff's deputy helped remove the Easons' second child, a newborn baby boy, the deputy wrote in his report that the "parents have severe psychiatric problems as well with violent tendencies."

• The Easons each had been accused by children they were babysitting of sexual abuse, police reports show. They say they did nothing wrong, and neither was charged.

• The only official document attesting to their parenting skills – one purportedly drafted by a social worker who had inspected the Easons' home – was fake, created by the Easons themselves.

Giving away a child in America can be surprisingly easy. Legal adoptions must be handled through the courts, and prospective parents must be vetted. But there are ways around such oversight. Children can be sent to new families quickly through a basic "power of attorney" document – a notarized statement declaring the child to be in the care of another adult.

http://www.reuters.com/investigates/adoption/#article/part5

BATTLE CREEK, Michigan – Inga spent most of her childhood in a Russian orphanage, longing for parents who would protect her.

Her biological mother, a prostitute, had abandoned her when she was a baby. She never knew her father.

At the age of 12, her life was about to change. It was 1997, and an American couple was adopting her.

"My picture was, I'm gonna have family, I'm gonna go to school, I'm gonna have friends," Inga says today.

Less than a year after bringing Inga home, her new parents, Priscilla and Neal Whatcott, gave up trying to raise her. They say the adoption agency never told them that Inga struggled to read or write, that she suffered from depression and post-traumatic stress disorder, that she smoked.

The Whatcotts say they tried therapy and support groups. They even reached out to a Russian judge to undo the adoption.

When nothing worked, they turned to what Priscilla now calls "the underground network." In an early example of adoptive parents using the Internet to seek a new home for an unwanted child, Inga was orphaned repeatedly.

In the next six months, the Whatcotts sent her to three different families. None wanted to keep her. In one home, Inga says she had sex with a sibling who then urinated on her. In another, she says the father molested her.

Sent to a Michigan psychiatric facility at the age of 13, Inga says she had sex again – this time with her therapist. Michael Patterson, the therapist, was acquitted of first degree criminal sexual conduct and remains a licensed social worker in Michigan. He says he "did not cross the line" physically with Inga and remembers her as "a very troubled child."

Children seen as commodities that you can just dispose of when they prove difficult! Easy come easy go, no risk attached with adopting.

Patients who claim to have sex with their mental health therapist always ring alarm bells.

Poor girl - she is clearly troubled and has a rotten start in life. It seems that numerous people have tried to help her. Very sad.

Patients who claim to have sex with their mental health therapist always ring alarm bells.

Does it really? In which case, cast your eye over this from 2006.

Here's the intro:-

"Nearly 1000 pages of the Kerr/Haslam Inquiry report published in July 2005 tell in detail how, over a period of more than two decades, according to many female patients, two male psychiatrists working from the same hospital were able to sexually abuse them. By the time police investigations and the Inquiry were complete, a total of 67 patients had declared themselves victims of William Kerr and at least 10 of Michael Haslam. Kerr was convicted in 2000 on one count of indecent assault. He was considered too ill to face trial but was convicted on trial of the facts. Haslam was convicted on four counts of indecent assault in 2003 and was given a 3-year prison sentence.

Although this North Yorkshire tragedy may have had extraordinary features, the Inquiry panel, led by Nigel Pleming QC, concluded that sexual abuse of psychiatric patients by mental health professionals is probably endemic and widespread."

Although this North Yorkshire tragedy may have had extraordinary features, the Inquiry panel, led by Nigel Pleming QC, concluded that sexual abuse of psychiatric patients by mental health professionals is probably endemic and widespread."[/i]

As a vulnerable group who are unlikely to be believed, that statement's probably true. Equally, the reason they aren't believed is probably the number of false claims of abuse originating from said group.

Children seen as commodities that you can just dispose of when they prove difficult! Easy come easy go, no risk attached with adopting.

It's easy to be judgmental about this, but one of my now-former neighbours was murdered by the child that she adopted from Brazil. Adoptions like these can be unbelievably challenging, on both sides, but should all these kids just be left to rot in third-world orphanages?

It's easy to be judgmental about this, but one of my now-former neighbours was murdered by the child that she adopted from Brazil. Adoptions like these can be unbelievably challenging, on both sides, but should all these kids just be left to rot in third-world orphanages?

I admit it's not an easy question but just being able to pass on the kids to anyone as stated in the articles is just plain wrong.

I admit it's not an easy question but just being able to pass on the kids to anyone as stated in the articles is just plain wrong.